Vrs cr dsg Upgrade or sell dilemma

I have a 2012 62 Octavia vrs cr dsg hatch. Low mileage rear sensors, mfsw, factory black alloys + rain + light sensors , in vg condition. Car still takes a lot of beating but needs better spec and have to think about potential long term cost for any dsg or diesel issue. Currently pay £520 pa for extended warranty. Only covering up to 5k pa now

Trying to decide if I spend money and upgrade current car or go for something with petrol  engine in summer with kit + modern technology acc + blind spot + rear camera.I am not able to do mods on my car, so would need it done for me.

Octavia add on plan

B12 suspension kit + Rarb or similar to improve handling. Do not want harsher ride.

Bluetooth module + Dab + Front parking sensors +Sound deadening kit + Lightweight alloys

Alternatives new

Seat Leon Cupra 310 dsg hatch

Audi A3 1.5 cod or 2.0 190 FL Sport sline hatch

Skoda Octavia 245 dsg hatch

I have driven these cars so far.

Leon Cupra 280 wow. Great drive needs better tyres  + 18” wheels + electric seat adjustment (have bad knees)  

Octavia 230 was ok but something was missing, was an estate. Needs dcc or b12 kit + Alcantara + 18” wheel upgrade.

Audi FL 190 sline stronic 2wd.  Disappointing. Needs dcc or b12 kit + upgraded steering wheel + poss 4wd.

Audi PFL 1.4 cod sline stronic. Good then dcc or b12 kit

Golf R didn`t tick boxes

Any comments / suggestions appreciated.

Can i suggest a MK3 octavia L&K DSG , the come in petrol or diesel, but tons more kit, they do have more sound deadening; the have DAB and electric drivers seat, they can also have full leather or half leather and alcantera.

My octy mk2 has the half leather/alcantara interior, has MFSW, drivers seat is electric plus memory which is also teamed up with the mirrors, the only thing i'm missing is the columbus stereo/satnav and DAB, i have the 1.8 TSI lump which has plenty of power for me (160bhp) but they did come in the 2.0 tsi which has the same tune as the VRS had.

If you are only doing 5k a year i wouldn't consider running a diesel as nice as they are. It's nowhere near enough miles. I do miss the handling of my previous car ( Seat Leon FR ) but interior was rubbish and the suspension was stiff to say the least. I'm with you on your dilemma though I'm almost certain i won't be getting another Skoda after this one. Only had it a few months pampered it's entire life and always something wrong!! Just not a big admirer of the mk3. You mentioned the Golf R but didn't say what the issue was? And how did you find the Cupra 280? Just wondered if the suspension is still as bad!! My honest opinion would be to have a go in the new Seat Leon FR. Maybe a little bit kinder on the back than the Cupra. Or Golf Gti mk7?. Ford Focus St might be worth a look as well. You'll have a bit of fun test driving them at the very least!!

Meaty 101,

Bad knees (damaged in 1997 by a poor car seat design) so auto only now. Used to do 10k pa but now retired, so unless leased diesel not such a good idea. MBQ platform has changed driving position / layout, for me not as good as old platform without more seat adjustment available.

Had another Octavia vrs cr dsg hatch from new 2010 - 2012, 34,000 miles replaced by current car. Had a Seat Leon 140 tdi dsg stylance for 4 years 44k from new before Octavia, good comfortable car.  

Golf R dsg had test drive around town only, was deliberate to test basic ride + mpg, averaged 20mpg max. Not as comfortable as my car, as have found MBQ platform has changed driving position.

Nearly leased a Golf R dsg in June 2014, deal was pulled by VW 30 minutes before I ordered it. £7600 for 24 months made sense at the time for more fun for the bucks.

Audi S3 + Golf R`s now too desirable to be stolen, looking for something a bit more under the radar at my age.

Leon Cupra fantastic drive ticks the boxes but basic seat comfort without electric seat option  is an issue (available now with leather only in uk want alcantara factory checking if can do). Reminded me of Peugeot 205 1.6 gti had from new in 1987, such fun.  

Leon FR have priced up 1.8 dsg. needs a lot of options to get to Cupra spec.

Golf Mk 7.5 no electric drivers seat option available in uk yet, so crossed off shortlist. Could go recaro route or have seat modified, looking at costs using EKTA info via dealers etc.

Audi A3 3+ 5dr have a tilting seat base as standard. 2.0 190 + 1.5 cod petrol on list. Audi cannot tell me when 1.5 due in uk.

Octavia mk 3 vrs 245 dsg. Best driving position as bigger car but needs mods to improve handling + ride imo. Felt a bit sterile. drove one for about an hour. Prefer steering weight of my car but can`t get progressive steering in it to make more direct.

Didn't know about your knees apologies. Quite a few requirements needed. The Leons are a great drive but sacrifice in other ways unfortunately. And the Focus ST? Unless you are wanting to stay in the vag camp.

Having gone from a 65 plate Focus ST3 owned from new to a stage 1 2010 CR170 VRS. The VRS for me is by far the better car. It is comfier to drive and has a much larger boot. Even though I downgraded spec and lost DAB, heated steering wheel, electric seats, heat front screen etc. I still prefer the Octavia. Once I have fitted a kenwood dab unit and upgraded the dampers I think the car will be a keeper for at least 4 to 5 years. I cant think of any other car that is as versatile and as fun to drive than the Octavia VRS.

• Like 1

Well said they are a lovely car and even after all the years the mk2 has been made still compare very well to newer cars. I'll get through my problems soon enough ( currently in garage for aircon ). The Focus ST is a very nice car though!!

• Like 1

If you're considering non-Skoda cars, a friend of mine was looking at a number of cars, including the Cupra, recently and his go-to car guru said something along the lines of, "Why would you look at the Cupra when the RenaultSport Megane is on the table?"

So, I guess the Megane may well be worth a look.

Edited by Papfox

Sat in a Megane GT Line. Looks good from the outside.Driving position seemed ok but was not impressed with overall packaging. Folded rear seats down, could not believe the waste of usable space, don`t need an estate though. Expensive for what it offered after adding must haves, has to be auto only. Between myself and family owned 6 Renaults in the past, always liked quirky yet innovative styling and packaging. 

Also driven Toyota CHR Hybrid, cvt no thanks. Spoiled a potentially good car for me. Had a 1990 Corolla GTI from new, kept it 7 years as best made car I ever owned.

My friend currently drives a RenaultSport Clio Cup. The interior and equipment level are, as he puts it, "bum basic" so I am fairly confident that his primary criterion for choosing a car is how rewarding it is as a drivers' car, rather than the equipment and cabin finish or practicality. I can see why he would be attracted to the RS Megane but it might not be as good a fit for you. 

My choice would probably be an Octavia RS230, though I'm not sure I could ever really love the signature grey colour. My dealer just told me that the Octavia III FL is coming this autumn. Might it be worth holding out and seeing what the new vRS is like?

Edited by Papfox