Hatch or Combi - Need to carry a bike

Lads

I'm a cyclist and will have the bike in/on the car each week during the summer for races.

I've had 2 vrs hatches and I've hitches attached. Now I'm ready to buy a superb. 

I was going with the hatch and hit was nearly 800 euro. 

The combi is 1200 dearer. So the difference when I order the hatch with the hitch is only 400 euro.

So does anyone know if I can fit a bike easily in the back of the Superb combi?

Many thanks

8 hours ago, ionelmc said:

Bike for 4 year old, sure. But no way you can fit a bike for adult in the trunk. It's big but it's not a van.

Yes you can, I've done it several times (with seats up)  Wheels off and straight in with plenty of space for your kit and additional luggage. 

OP - Not sure what size bike you ride but I've had both my 55 and 56 road bikes in the boot of my hatch with the wheels off.  I also have about 200mm of seat post out. 

Not sure about a TT bike it would depend on the length of your extensions - perhaps the ends of the bars/levers may foul on the parcel shelf but you could always just move it out the way.  Can't see it being a problem unless you ride a 58+ 

I race too and was sure I'd need to get the combi but after trying the hatch at the dealers I was pleasantly surprised (I believe the hatch is actually marginally longer than the combi but same wheelbase)

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Yes you can, I've done it several times (with seats up)  Wheels off and straight in with plenty of space for your kit and additional luggage. 

OP - Not sure what size bike you ride but I've had both my 55 and 56 road bikes in the boot of my hatch with the wheels off.  I also have about 200mm of seat post out. 

Not sure about a TT bike it would depend on the length of your extensions - perhaps the ends of the bars/levers may foul on the parcel shelf but you could always just move it out the way.  Can't see it being a problem unless you ride a 58+ 

I race too and was sure I'd need to get the combi but after trying the hatch at the dealers I was pleasantly surprised (I believe the hatch is actually marginally longer than the combi but same wheelbase)

Thanks, Im 6ft so on a large frame. The TT bike could be the killer with the bars.  But they could face upwards. 

I think I will stick with the hatch as I have the thule bike carrier for the hitch. Problem is that the TT bike wont fit on that with its fancy smancy aero frame design! :D

2 minutes ago, aidangill said:

Thanks, Im 6ft so on a large frame. The TT bike could be the killer with the bars.  But they could face upwards. 

I think I will stick with the hatch as I have the thule bike carrier for the hitch. Problem is that the TT bike wont fit on that with its fancy smancy aero frame design! :D

I actually think you'll be ok with the aero bars as the boot is pretty deep and like I said, at worst you'll just need to move the parcel shelf. 

Just take your bikes down the dealer to try it out :)

30 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I actually think you'll be ok with the aero bars as the boot is pretty deep and like I said, at worst you'll just need to move the parcel shelf. 

Just take your bikes down the dealer to try it out :)

The guys who I am buy off are over 2 hours away. The local (1 hour away) doesn't stock combi, order only.... :( 

So I am just hoping to get the direction/experience from here :D

You could always transport the bike on a roofbar mount setup if you didn't mind splashing out on yet more kit.  What Thule towbar mount carrier do you have?  I use the Velocompact and find it very versatile for most frame shapes.

You should get some of the additional cost of the combi back on resale.  Not so much with the towbar although I think that its fantastic.  I've had both combi and hatch and regret not getting the combi this time around.  The sloping back of the hatch can be an issue for some loads that the combi would manage with ease. 

I don't know what model Superb you're looking at but given that you have a VRS I'd recommend that you opt for sports suspension on the Superb if you're not getting the Sportline as the standard suspension is a bit soft and floaty.

1 minute ago, Legacy said:

You could always transport the bike on a roofbar mount setup if you didn't mind splashing out on yet more kit.  What Thule towbar mount carrier do you have?  I use the Velocompact and find it very versatile for most frame shapes.

You should get some of the additional cost of the combi back on resale.  Not so much with the towbar although I think that its fantastic.  I've had both combi and hatch and regret not getting the combi this time around.  The sloping back of the hatch can be an issue for some loads that the combi would manage with ease. 

I don't know what model Superb you're looking at but given that you have a VRS I'd recommend that you opt for sports suspension on the Superb if you're not getting the Sportline as the standard suspension is a bit soft and floaty.

Hi

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 190bhp DSG Sportline in white with black 19" and black roof wrap. 

I saw a 2013 Superb Combi in front of me this AM to work. It looks small enough. Its a disaster I have no local garage with a combi.

That'll be a stunning looking car.  Presume flappy paddles are standard?

I had a '12 Combi which had more load capacity than my '16 hatch purely because of the body shape at the back even though the SIII is the bigger car.  The slope of the hatch might be an issue with TT bars depending on how you load the bike in the back.

Monaghan & Sons in Castlebar have two '16 SIII combis on their website BTW

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legacy said:

That'll be a stunning looking car.  Presume flappy paddles are standard?

I had a '12 Combi which had more load capacity than my '16 hatch purely because of the body shape at the back even though the SIII is the bigger car.  The slope of the hatch might be an issue with TT bars depending on how you load the bike in the back.

Monaghan & Sons in Castlebar have two '16 SIII combis on their website BTW

I called them yesterday and they said neither they nor their Galway branch have the new shape! :D I must do a drive by! ;)

Thank you for checking

I know you mentioned wanting to keep the seats up but I have put two bikes in the rear of the estate on a demo stand in Green Park at last years Ride London.  

Me and Mrs Bud arrived I opened the boot and asked if i could try something out.  

Go ahead he said.  

So I dropped the car rear seats and put both bikes in the back without removing wheels.  Test 1 passed satis :thumbup:

I could get two bikes into the boot of the Mondeo with seat up but that required wheels off and careful spacing packing to ensure no metal to metal and fretting.

I have stumped up for the tow bar this time round but I will still try to see what the best options are, what about the split seat? How old are the kids, will they snug up on the split seat?

Maybe upside down covered with a sheet in the split seat area might work with front wheel only off.  You need to try it I suppose.

34 minutes ago, Bud said:

I know you mentioned wanting to keep the seats up but I have put two bikes in the rear of the estate on a demo stand in Green Park at last years Ride London.  

Me and Mrs Bud arrived I opened the boot and asked if i could try something out.  

Go ahead he said.  

So I dropped the car rear seats and put both bikes in the back without removing wheels.  Test 1 passed satis :thumbup:

I could get two bikes into the boot of the Mondeo with seat up but that required wheels off and careful spacing packing to ensure no metal to metal and fretting.

I have stumped up for the tow bar this time round but I will still try to see what the best options are, what about the split seat? How old are the kids, will they snug up on the split seat?

Maybe upside down covered with a sheet in the split seat area might work with front wheel only off.  You need to try it I suppose.

Hey, both are in boosters. 4 year old and 6 year old.

So in summary it definitely needs a wheel off to put in with the seats up.

I still struggling on which to get :( 

I managed to get to the Castlebar dealer at 8.30 last night, light wasn't great but I could see the hatch inside, not on the Vega black wheels which I want, but it looked REALLY well.

They had 2 estates, neither in sportline, so didn't have the wow for me.

SportlineBri is gonna try fit his road bike into the Superb combi, so that will be VERY much appreciated.

The other side of it, the difference is only 450 euro to go to the combi as I won't need the towbar. But the value is more then in the end.  

Anyone on here get a Combi Sportline in white with 19" Vega wheels?

Or hatch

If you can I would get the tow bar on either/both it's such a neat bit of kit and will increase the resale value and when it's not in use you don't see anything so it's not like it detracts from the look at all.

This then gives you the option of a bike rack as well as roof and boot.

• Like 1