Selecting an android head unit

hi levy9 i have been looking at your xtrons model how do you find it any chance u could post a pic of the screen with the climate control on there the spec of it  looks impressive kevin

2 hours ago, therev said:

hi levy9 i have been looking at your xtrons model how do you find it any chance u could post a pic of the screen with the climate control on there the spec of it  looks impressive kevin

Yeah overall I’m really enjoying it but it is more of a toy than anything else.  On the practical side of things the hands free and satnav functions (Sygic from the Play store) are really useful and work well, also now I’m hooked up a reverse camera it adds some more useful functionality.

It’s great with playing MP3s and CD’s plenty of storage with the 2 SD card slots, I’ve connected up a DAB unit through one of the USBs and that works fine but signal can be a little patchy in my area.  I’ve used the second USB as a phone charger which I’ve sent through to the top storage compartment above the air vents.  Connecting my phones Bluetooth and syncing the contacts list was simple and making a Wi-Fi hotspot using my phones data.   It plays MP4 videos and DVDs perfectly fine also.

The user interface is very good responsive and intuitive, if you use to Android then that will help with the settings menu but even if not it’s all easy once you know your way round it.  It takes about 20+ seconds to boot up from cold and you can customise the boot up logo, you probably will have to swap the door open graphics in factory settings as that seems to be the wrong way round for everyone.

The canbus picks up everything out of the box for me, MFSW worked as its meant to and the climate control graphics overlay on screen when you use them, the canbus also works the reverse camera with connections into the back of the head unit, so no need to splice into the reverse light wires or anything else.

Niggles! The radio app is good when you’re using it and the signal is fine for me, but I cannot hold my pre-set stations in the memory they keep on resetting  each time a start the car.  I believe it’s something to do with the ISO loom wiring and 2 wires need swapping, I don’t think this is an issue for everyone and it’s not a deal breaker for me as I prefer the DAB.

DAB, the app only plays when it’s on screen when you minimize it to use the satnav or anything else and have the DAB playing in the background it stutters badly, bring it back on screen and its fine again.  I did email them its that’s how it is apparently.

Both of those niggles I can live with as the positives far out weight the negatives.

IMG_20170303_074052.jpg

Edited by Levy9

On 30/03/2017 at 08:15, Levy9 said:

Mine is the new breed octacore running marshmallow, connects upto my nexus 6P phone with Nougat no problem, i use the phone as the hotspot to get traffic updates on my satnav (Sygic) Boot up and general use seems very responsive.

I did have to buy a replacement facia as i was replacing a Bolero, several after market choices there or direct from Skoda.

My tip for installation would be to pop out the air vent above the stereo, gives you plenty of space to work with and route the extra wires, there's quite a bit of wiring to lose!

Some pictures of the finished job.

IMG_20170330_070830.jpg

IMG_20170330_070840.jpg

IMG_20170330_070912.jpg

Wiring depends on the model you get, with mine there is no adaptor for the quadlock and the canbus is built in so the factory quadlock plugs straight in the back of the unit, hardly any more wires than OE if you are just using the aerial and wifi and gps are the only extra bits, the USBs dont really take up much room, it gets messy when you add the extra wires if you need audio/video in/out, TV or DAB etc etc.

I was going to remove the vents though as it would be a better place to run a USB cable into the cubby for a USB stick or phone charging which I will probably do.

I'll have to check my radio as I don't really use it, I set the stations once so not sure if they are still stored?

Edited by T2000

I have concerns about older versions of Android going out of support in terms of app availability and updates. If you just want to use the unit as-is, don't want to install new software or use it to surf the net (outdated browser worries) then there's not so much to worry about as long as you're happy with the unit as it is.

Android 4.x and 5.x (Lollipop) are already out of support. I would be looking for 6.0 (Marshmallow) and 7.0 (Nougat) devices to give me the longest shelf life.

46 minutes ago, therev said:

hi has anyone had use of the andriod headunit by erisin looking at this 1 as well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152443880283?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have an Erisin but this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112241322322?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT it depends what fascia you have, if you have a Bolero or Stream then you need the one I got but if you have the Columbus type fascia you would need the one you listed, they all do the same under the skin though.

Ohhhh, I had no idea these even existed. 

If I can put Spotify and Waze on it and use my phones 3g I'll be ditching my Columbus!

Levy9 Can I ask if your car already had BT/steering controls on it? My 2010 L&K already has both and all the beeps so want it retained.

As for your wiring issue, it is indeed correct. One wire is ignition live, one is permenant. If you have them the wrong way around (they are usually easily swapped) when you trun the car off you are turning the head unit fully off, not into standby. I'm assuming this is the case for you when you pull the key out?

Just seen that they have the 9" model with no dvd player PB96MTVAPL which is also a bit cheaper. That would be for me.

Edited by DBT85

Got Spotify installed... but I see what you mean about unsupported android versions.

I could'nt pay the extra for the android 6 so will have to wait and see.

Shame apps like spotify wont support android 5 anymore... I have a phone which is on older android version with no option to update.

I use spotify on that too.

This is not good news!

Ta

10 hours ago, T2000 said:

I have an Erisin but this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112241322322?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT it depends what fascia you have, if you have a Bolero or Stream then you need the one I got but if you have the Columbus type fascia you would need the one you listed, they all do the same under the skin though.

hi t2000 so what are they like i already have the new fascia waiting just cant make my mind up on which unit so can you not use spotify anymore on andriod 5.1 how does the erisin units perform eg satnav , apps , dual canbus functions etc etc any chance you could post a pic of the screen when the climate control is on are is the  andriod 6 units much better also can you not up from 5.1 to 6 ? cheers kev

I think it's excellent, I went for mine as it looks like a Bolero and so fits in with the factory look, you can use Spotify, Sat Nav built in is good but yu can load up better ones like Waze etc.

Canbus integrates like factory all functions are retained, the apps work well, I have mine recording with dashcam while running Sat Nav and playing from the SD card with music, so it's writing to the nand flash for my dashcam and reading from the music sd card and sat nav sd card at the same time, I also have an ELM bluetooth dongle connected for Torque pro which it comes with the full version and I also have my phone connected by BT also so it can connect to more than one BT device at the same time and you select which device to use for which app, it also loaded up my phone book.

I have BT wifi so it auto connects to any hotspot and Google is quite snappy, I also tethered my phone but I don't have a big data plan so had to remove it.

I would have preferred an Octacore with 2GB but I couldn't find an OE looking one but will upgrade over the next year or so anyway, for the price it's a no brainer for me.

I will take a couple of pics later for you.

T2000.. Got mine installed and I am pleased so far... GPS attenna works without mounting it... just sat behind stereo.

Not fitted the dash cam yet... I was wondering how you fitted the usb cable from the dash cam at the top of the windscreen down to the rear of the unit?

Thanks

5 hours ago, alextait said:

T2000.. Got mine installed and I am pleased so far... GPS attenna works without mounting it... just sat behind stereo.

Not fitted the dash cam yet... I was wondering how you fitted the usb cable from the dash cam at the top of the windscreen down to the rear of the unit?

Thanks

I added a USB female cable to the back and routed it below the glovebox as the cable to the cam isn't long enough and it also means I can unplug it and plug in a usb drive if needed, the camera is mounted behind the mirror and I tucked the cable up in the roof lining behind the passenger visor, then came down the A pillar behind the door rubber popped off the dash side cover and routed the wire through there and under the glovebox to meet the female usb, there is a lip at the bottom of the glovebox it tucks up into so the connection is accessible if I wanted to add USB which with a 32GB SD Card I doubt I ever will.

I just mounted the GPS the same as you and it works fine.

Here are a few pics, sorry the quality isn't great as I couldn't get out of the glare of the sun but it gives you an idea of the AC, Doors, Vehicle, Sat Nav and Torque app.

The camera isn't bad quality for £12 ;-) not so good in the dark but it will still show an accident.

IMG_20170401_190240.jpg

IMG_20170401_190445.jpg

IMG_20170401_190522.jpg

IMG_20170401_190534.jpg

Ordered that 9" octacore one last night for £290. Hopefully once it's all running I can sell the Columbus for something close! 

Already got an odb thing so kind of looking forward to setting that all up properly with Torque and having waze do the satnav. 

My GPS receiver for the Columbus only ever sat under the dash on mine and never missed a beat, didn't need to route it anywhere so I guess others will be the same. 

I am excited! 

Edited by DBT85

cheers for that i have seen some older versions show the climate control just like the factory bolero 1 does i was hoping this did the same but i can live with that lol  

1 hour ago, DBT85 said:

Ordered that 9" octacore one last night for £290. Hopefully once it's all running I can sell the Columbus for something close! 

Already got an odb thing so kind of looking forward to setting that all up properly with Torque and having waze do the satnav. 

My GPS receiver for the Columbus only ever sat under the dash on mine and never missed a beat, didn't need to route it anywhere so I guess others will be the same. 

I am excited! 

hi dbt85 which 9" did u go for the xtrons without cd / dvd slot

3 hours ago, therev said:

hi dbt85 which 9" did u go for the xtrons without cd / dvd slot

That's the one, product number is  PB96MTVAPL

From what I can see its just the 9" version of the PB86MTVAP that Levy9 posted pics of earlier. Same base spec, just no dvd drive or SD card which I have no use for anyway. Though the product page shows a pic of an SD card, I can't see anywhere to put it and the tech spec doesn't list it, while it does on the PB86. Oddly, on the ebay pages for it it specifically states that it has no DVD drive and that you have to use the SD slot. So I'm interested to see where it is!

I'll get plenty of pics when I do it!

Edited by DBT85

15 hours ago, DBT85 said:

I am excited! 

hi dbt85 i looked at that on ebay mate for 199 but i dont think it supports 4g most i have looked at are 3g i fancied that 1 but no dvd slot put me of a bit but still not ruled it out 

10 hours ago, therev said:

That is a slightly older unit that has a 4 core cpu and Android 5.1, thPB96MTVAPL I've ordered is an 8 core android 6 version with a slightly higher screen resolution. 

As for 3g/4g, its just a dongle that plugs in via USB. While I can't say for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if just about any 3g/4g USB dongle works.

Its one more thing I'm not concerned about as I'll just be tethering to my phone anyway.

Thanks for the photos T2000

Got my stereo installed at the weekend.... thanks again for the tips on the aerial.

So far I am not sure about this unit.

Positives

1. Very easy to install... just plug and play.

2. Stock GPS with atenna works well.

3. Dashcam works well.

4. Looks great and very similar to original bolero.

5. High build quality.

Negatives.

1. On occasion it will not boot... this morning setting off to work it would not start up... I turned the engine off and removed my key... tried again a few times but again no response.  (could be fuse... but I'm no expert)

2. Spotify takes a very long time to boot and is not very responsive once it gets going.

3. Google maps is completely unresponsive.

4. The radio seems auto scan when it loses reception (in my area signal can be a bit iffy so this will be annoying)

I am wondering if a faster sd card might resolve the app issues.... but obviously it not starting up is a serious issue.