Selecting an android head unit

10 hours ago, DBT85 said:

Sad to say that my PB96MTVAPL is going back. I've asked for a refund but if they insist I'll try a second unit.

For the second time since having the unit it failed to turn on and despite trying everything else, the only way I could get it to come on was to pull the battery from the car. The reset button didn;t do anything no matter how many different things I tried.

On top of that I'm still getting the stuttering when playing music back either via Spotify on the device, or Spotify on my phone and just BT to the unit. I'll make one final attempt on my way home in the morning with Spotify uninstalled and just BT to my phone, but I'm not hopeful.

A shame TBH as I really liked the device and having Waze and Spotify there on a nice big screen. 

shame to here that mate i have been holding off on these andriod units for a few weeks now as there is a few issues from u guys having these but saying that my mates friend has 1 that is running the 5.1 lollipop software and has not a single problem with it and ive watched a few vids on youtube and people are having good results my head is battered over do i or dont i ps were did u buy yours from ?

I've been keeping my eye on this thread for ages I'm thinking about purchasing the  Xtrons PB86MTVAP. I have been looking at the android stereos as an upgrade from the bolero since the 4.4. Kit kat stereos. Now that the 6.0 marshmallow ones are out I'm thinking is time to take the plunge. I previously had a pumpkin stereo that run Wince 6.0 in a golf that I had and I had a great experience with that except for the radio reception which I got used to. 

I have a question I believe that its the columbus fascia that I need is that correct (mk2 fl)  If so where abouts did you guys buy it from the one on the xtrons website seems a tad expensive at 43.99. 

Edited by Bellarous

Been reading with interest too

Looked at some of the ebay links and purchased one. After the guy posted the goods he emailed me to say they wont work with ipod/ phones. As soon as it arrives it has to go back. A bit narked with that.

I spoke to a dealer on aliexpress and found http://tinyurl.com/lovh6tv. Has sat nav ipod connectivity etc. The unit is coming from Germany so should be here within the week. Mine was £150 as they had a deal on. will post results

Hayden

44 minutes ago, Bellarous said:

I've been keeping my eye on this thread for ages I'm thinking about purchasing the  Xtrons PB86MTVAP. I have been looking at the android stereos as an upgrade from the bolero since the 4.4. Kit kat stereos. Now that the 6.0 marshmallow ones are out I'm thinking is time to take the plunge. I previously had a pumpkin stereo that run Wince 6.0 in a golf that I had and I had a great experience with that except for the radio reception which I got used to. 

I have a question I believe that its the columbus fascia that I need is that correct (mk2 fl)  If so where abouts did you guys buy it from the one on the xtrons website seems a tad expensive at 43.99. 

hi got my fascia off ebay pretty good match too arrived with in 2 weeks here is the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262410971205?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT i got my fascia ready for the head unit but no unit as of yet lol

Edited by therev

11 minutes ago, therev said:

hi got my fascia off ebay pretty good match too arrived with in 2 weeks here is the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262410971205?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT i got my fascia ready for the head unit but no unit as of yet lol

Thanks that looks like a much more attractive price. 

Edited by Bellarous

On 5/1/2017 at 09:03, therev said:

shame to here that mate i have been holding off on these andriod units for a few weeks now as there is a few issues from u guys having these but saying that my mates friend has 1 that is running the 5.1 lollipop software and has not a single problem with it and ive watched a few vids on youtube and people are having good results my head is battered over do i or dont i ps were did u buy yours from ?

I bought mine direct from Xtrons who have issued a pre paid return label for my unit which went back today. Hopefully tyhe money will be back in my account next week.

I really liked having Waze and Spotify on the dash meaning my phone could just stay in my pocket and eliminate the chance of the police pulling me over sice I wouldn't be using the phone, but it not powering on was enough to put me off. I know I could buy a more reputable unit but I liked that this one fit in to the dash so nicely.

For Now I'm back with Columbus and my phone. It'll have to do!

On 01/05/2017 at 12:58, Vin0bim said:

Been reading with interest too

Looked at some of the ebay links and purchased one. After the guy posted the goods he emailed me to say they wont work with ipod/ phones. As soon as it arrives it has to go back. A bit narked with that.

I spoke to a dealer on aliexpress and found http://tinyurl.com/lovh6tv. Has sat nav ipod connectivity etc. The unit is coming from Germany so should be here within the week. Mine was £150 as they had a deal on. will post results

Hayden

Unit arrived From Germany today. Went in without a fight. I removed the dashboard tray for access and Using double side tape, put the GPS aerial under the dash on the cross rail. Cable just drops down to the head unit without any fuss. Biggest problem was placing the cable adapter block at the rear. With the top tray out it is really easy. Everything works so far: satnav, ipod, radio, phone, canbus connectivity etc. Only thing not tested is the wifi side as I don't use that. Unit provided with igo and something else- will change that shortly. Very pleased with it.

Hayden

• 2 weeks later...

Final reply.

In then end I had to send it back because of the "none starts"

I really liked the device but unfortuantely I had issues.

I would just like to say that the ebay seller erisincaraudio has been fantastic.

They have refunded me my full purchase price immediately after I sent them postage confirmation.

Excellent service... just disappointing the unit did not work for me.

I may try another unit in the future but for now sticking with the bolero.

ta

That's a pity. I've just bought and installed one of the 8" units. I plan to keep it bog standard and maybe see if I can slim it down software wise. The only functions over the Bolero I needed were bluetooth and sat nav.

My Erisin has been performing well, a few skips on the music now and again but can't fault it, dashcam recording constant and have my phone tethered for wifi.

My Erisin has been behaving perfectly. Tethered to my mobile and it all functions great. I've only two small issues to report so far: playing dvd's the format is too squashed/wide and the screen is reflective. I'm not concerned about the first and I've ordered an anti-glare screen protector which should sort the second. MCU version is dated 5th April 2017 so is a recent revision.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-3-29 at 10:13, Levy9 said:

I’ve just installed this unit into my car;

http://xtrons.co.uk/pb86mtvap-8-hd-digital-octa-core-64bit-32gb-2g-ram-android-6-multi-touch-screen-car-dvd-player-custom-fit-for-volkswagen-seat-skoda.html

So far I’m really pleased with the unit it’s a big upgrade to the Bolero, I connected up a reverse camera last weekend which was a bit of a pain to do but it’s working perfectly.

Looks nice! Good specs. A little more pricey but I'd prefer to spend £300 over £200 if it has more RAM and is faster device.

1 minute ago, alextait said:

How long does it take to boot if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks

Good point, as these android boxes have a lot more to load than Bolero etc. The earlier devices were about 30-40s I think.

20 minutes ago, planehazza said:

Looks nice! Good specs. A little more pricey but I'd prefer to spend £300 over £200 if it has more RAM and is faster device.

Worth the extra spends for the better processor and more RAM, mines been running well with only 2 freezes since i installed it in March, which seems to be low compared to other peoples comments on this thread.

I run radio via tune in app and hotspot, satnav and dash cam at the same time have no issues, reverse camera working well also.  takes about 25 seconds to boot from cold. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Levy9 said:

Worth the extra spends for the better processor and more RAM, mines been running well with only 2 freezes since i installed it in March, which seems to be low compared to other peoples comments on this thread.

I run radio via tune in app and hotspot, satnav and dash cam at the same time have no issues, reverse camera working well also.  takes about 25 seconds to boot from cold. 

Sweet!  So you don't use normal FM radio? Any ideas what caused the freeze? How did you restart it the device - pull over and remove key, or is there a reset button accessible?

Just now, planehazza said:

Sweet!  So you don't use normal FM radio? Any ideas what caused the freeze? How did you restart it the device - pull over and remove key, or is there a reset button accessible?

The FM radio is one of the downsides to this device, i've a double fakra connection and booster with the + wire connected up and it still can barely hold a station on long journeys.  In a way i'm glad it's forced me to try internet radio as its far superior and so much more choice and doesn't use as much data as i first though.

I used to run a live weather changing wallpaper i believe this may have been the cause of the freeze, since uninstalling it and using a standard wallpaper its not had a freeze issue.  during the 2 freezes i just left it, eventually it rebooted itself and all was fine.

Back in April i did a 700 mile round trip to Elgin, the unit never missed beat sygic sat nav working great and avoided a bad crash on the A9 with long delays, although the re-route took me through the Cairngorms!

• Like 1

The FM issues seems to be fairly common :( I get 12GB tethering on my phone so I could do the same; my concern of tethering that long is battery and heat.  My phone gets very hot when charging and tethering at the same time.  Perhaps I could do USB tethering instead? 

Mate, I could think of far worse places to be diverted through :)  I have fond memories of Elgin driving to meet a very pretty French girl :D  I love the cairngorms too; I was there a couple of Summers ago with my current girlfriend camping. Beautiful scenery :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, planehazza said:

Haha yeah I certainly wasn’t disappointed in the scenery and first time I’d driven past the ski resorts, unreal roads with little traffic, great fun :biggrin:

I have a Nexus 6p and have used one of the USB connections as a permanent charge port with the other USB for the dash cam. Hotspot and Bluetooth running all the time whist charging and my phone seems to cope with it OK.

I couldn’t go back to the Bolero now and my advice with these units is get the best spec you can afford.  

Edited by Levy9
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Levy9 said:

Haha yeah I certainly wasn’t disappointed in the scenery and first time I’d driven past the ski resorts, unreal roads with little traffic, great fun :biggrin:

I have a Nexus 6p and have used one of the USB connections as a permanent charge port with the other USB for the dash cam. Hotspot and Bluetooth running all the time whist charging and my phone seems to cope with it OK.

I couldn’t go back to the Bolero now and my advice with these units is get the best spec you can afford.  

Cheers mate, maybe next month then.  I have the same phone so it's good to hear that they work well together.

• Like 1

I was running a Joying unit in my Jetta until recently. Utterly woeful FM signal (could basically pick up Radio 2 fairly well, and anything else was a mess). Thought it was an issue with my factory aerial, but having just replaced the OEM head unit, the radio is crystal clear.

Some of the units in this thread do look amazing though, but some of the niggles with the Joying have really put me off.

The Erisin 3026 has the double factory Fakra connector exactly the same as the Bolero, no power wire required, FM reception is spot on.

Quite tempted by the PB86MTVAP, I have to admit. Regarding the hard lockups; is it really quite an issue? Does it happen often? Could I preemptively work around it by wiring a switch into the power leads so if it does **** up, I can just power cycle the unit without having to disconnect the battery? What about FM reception - does the double connector fix the issue?

4 minutes ago, planehazza said:

Quite tempted by the PB86MTVAP, I have to admit. Regarding the hard lockups; is it really quite an issue? Does it happen often? Could I preemptively work around it by wiring a switch into the power leads so if it does **** up, I can just power cycle the unit without having to disconnect the battery? What about FM reception - does the double connector fix the issue?

On my unit there was a pin hole reset switch and when it was acting up the most I had to reset it twice a day. I still think I had a bad unit since others not having as many problems.

I think the octa core unit should be much better but can't say from experience.

Worth hunting for voucher codes for xtrons btw.

Edited by alextait