Looking at Octavia vRS Estates

Hopefully returning to the Skoda fold and initially looked at Fabia vRSs but now have the need for something a little larger so I'm now fancying an Octavia VRS estate. Read the slightly concerning (!!) thread on engine failures but seems these are a minority. The diesel would suit me more for fuel economy and having had a lurk on here for info the things to look out for are;

Cambelt changes every 50k/4 years

Rad mounts

Noisey front suspenion

'Mooing' brake noise

Any further things to check when looking? I have a budget of around £6k, is this a realistic amount for a well looked after car?

Thanks

Edited by fabatron

£6k would have got you mine a month or two back. It was a 2010 model with 85000 on the clock but was very well looked after and very high spec. Worth checking tyre wear, particularly on the rear just in case it needs the alignment doing. At a dealer or garage £6k might still be pre facelift territory for a good example. 

The engine failures are on the petrol facelift models,the timing chain tensioner is the issue,the pre facelift petrols have a timing belt so dont suffer from that problem,rad mounts,noises from the brakes etc were all issues with the mk1 vrs not the mk2,id check the sills for rust as when i got rid of my 2008 vrs it had bad rust on the sills & underside.

• Like 1

I've had mine for 5 years now, from new.

It is a 2012 VRS DSG Diesel Estate. Just clocked over 120,000 miles.

Cambelt on this model is 5 years, had mine done (with water pump) last months (116k). I think pre mine is was 4 years or 115k (ish).

The only things I've had done, apart from the normal servicing.

Front disks & pads at 80K

Aircon compressor at 100K

front console bushes at 110k

Rear shocks & springs At 110K - didn't need springs, but as it was in bit, in the end didn't get charged for them, as they sent the fronts

Rear disks & Pads & a brake caliper at 116k.

Never had problems with the front suspension noise or mooing brakes

Still pulls very well & averages around 50mpg, on my 100 mile round trip to work

Depends how high, you want to go mileage wise for 6k

6k should get a nice cr170 which came in 08 there will be some overlaps of pd170s 07-08 and cr170s 08-09 then 09 cr170 got the face lift with drls,

i would want to see lots of s/h and invoices,check the  brake discs and pads are good, check the tyres are good quality and for uneven wear on the rear, most should be on there second cam belt change now due to age,

dont be fobbed off by adds that say cam belt done only to find its due on the age side but not millage,

Vrs tdi cam belt and water pump change is £400+ depending on parts genuine or non genuine,

The cr170 dosn,t suffer with the dpf like the pd170 dose,

The injector issues were with the pd170 most should of been done but you never know and can check the reg at a skoda dealer to find out if they have been done or there is a code sticker in the boot next to the spare wheel,

If i was looking to buy another vrs i try and get as many options as possible,

on a late 07 plate  std vrs spec changed to included

duel zone climate control,

jumbo box arm rest with aux socket,

18inch zenith wheels, 

rear electric windows,

other options to look for

Maxi dot full screen display showing doors open etc is desirable,

I have rear parking aid option on mine and its great,

Front parking aid is available but quite rare, 

I have cruise control but hardly ever use it,

columbus stereo/sat nav or the bolero stereo which has bluetooth capability, 

Sunroof,

mfsw,

zenons,

Full leather seats,

these are just some things to look for good luck !

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I'm having a look at this tomorrow;

http://www.hamiltoncarsltd.co.uk/used-cars/skoda-octavia-2-0-tdi-pd-vrs-5dr-crawley-201702222561740?at_source=autotrader&at_medium=desktop&at_campaign=website-visit&_ga=1.77941076.1788329113.1490776506

I don't think this model was effected by the injector issue?

Edited by fabatron

On 4/1/2017 at 12:14, fabatron said:

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I'm having a look at this tomorrow;

http://www.hamiltoncarsltd.co.uk/used-cars/skoda-octavia-2-0-tdi-pd-vrs-5dr-crawley-201702222561740?at_source=autotrader&at_medium=desktop&at_campaign=website-visit&_ga=1.77941076.1788329113.1490776506

I don't think this model was effected by the injector issue?

Wow 5k and no options  thats the lowest spec you can get on a vrs,no maxi dot computer,no duel zone climate,no jumbo box arm rest,no aux in socket, no electric rear windows,i wouldnt be suprised if the wheels are 17inch ,

yes that car will be affected by the injector recall the add says pd170,

Edited by willy0329
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, willy0329 said:

Wow 5k and no options  thats the lowest spec you can get on a vrs,no maxi dot computer,no duel zone climate,no jumbo box arm rest,no aux in socket, no electric rear windows,i wouldnt be suprised if the wheels are 17inch ,

yes that car will be affected by the injector recall the add says pd170,

Total novice at what these cars are worth and the options, thanks for the advice.

Doesn't seem to be too many CR170s near me, either high mileage or beyond £6k. I'm guessing they're snapped up pretty quickly...

1 hour ago, fabatron said:

Total novice at what these cars are worth and the options, thanks for the advice.

Doesn't seem to be too many CR170s near me, either high mileage or beyond £6k. I'm guessing they're snapped up pretty quickly...

No problem i dont like seeing people ripped off,

lots of cr170 hatches about but not so many estates,

some of these garages are in dream land trying to get 5k+ for pd170s

i got my pd170 hatch over 2years ago for 4k with under 100k on the clock,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, willy0329 said:

No problem i dont like seeing people ripped off,

lots of cr170 hatches about but not so many estates,

some of these garages are in dream land trying to get 5k+ for pd170s

i got my pd170 hatch over 2years ago for 4k with under 100k on the clock,

The nearest car to have a look at (still no dual climate or maxi dot though!) is this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142313307755?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Think I'll bide my time, hopefully something will come up on here :)

6 minutes ago, fabatron said:

The nearest car to have a look at (still no dual climate or maxi dot though!) is this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142313307755?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Think I'll bide my time, hopefully something will come up on here :)

That car has got duel zone climate and looks like it has cruise control on the left stalk ,it has factory rear parking aid as well ,and its a cr170, 

just no full screen computer (maxi dot ),