Why do you love/hate your spaceback

I'm considering a spaceback for my next car (1.2 TSI 110 SE Sport) and would love to hear why people love or hate them and if you love them, what grumbles you have, conversely if you hate them what bits did you love. Obviously mostly looking at people who've owned one, especially if you've done long journeys (circa 200 miles) or you've done a lot of annual miles (I do 20k). 

Love:

- Size (it's long but narrow being based on stretched Polo platform)

- Feeling of space inside

- Neat, minimalist look and clean lines of the interior

- Value for money

- Long distance comfort

- The display between the dials

Dislike:
 - Numb handling and body flex

- Seats are narrow and lack lateral support
 - Arm rest interferes with handbrake when down

Hate:
 - Reliability & quality (hasn't been great for us so far)

- Dealers

We have had ours going on for 2 years, have done about 25k in that time and have done several longer trips.

Also - I note your current car is a Fiesta. Compared to that, the Rapid is a much less composed drive so you may be disappointed.  However, in the Rapid's favour it is much more spacious and has a much nicer interior.

How's the Rapid at dealing with bumpy roads? I find the Fiesta quite 'jiggly' (Can't think of a better word) in that you feel bounced around quite a bit. I'll admit it's great when being driven harder but that's one reason to change. Might make me slow down a bit.

• Like 1

Love..... well like...

Opinion based on our SE Sport.

Like:-

Standard spec

Seats

Pano glass roof

wheels

MPG from 1.4tdi

The drive when cruising

Rare ish car on UK roads in this sepc.

Nicer than a Octy3 SE to drive and feel of trim.

Dislike:-

Sound damping

Lack of power but it pulls its weight well.

Smartlink - Andriod Auto/ Apple Car play is not standard and cant be enable post build

No washer fluid low warning or bulb out as standard

52 minutes ago, dazedandconfused said:

How's the Rapid at dealing with bumpy roads? I find the Fiesta quite 'jiggly' (Can't think of a better word) in that you feel bounced around quite a bit. I'll admit it's great when being driven harder but that's one reason to change. Might make me slow down a bit.

It's more compliant over bumps than a Fiesta I guess, but the Spaceback isn't the last word in ride quality. It's certainly softer over fast speedbumps and undulating road surfaces.  However, go over the right sort of pothole or harsh speedbump in the Skoda and it sends a horrible rattly shockwave through the cabin that makes it feel (to me) like the front of the car is disconnected from the back.  It's can be a bit unnerving if you hit a bump like that while cornering.  By contrast, the Fiesta is firm but it always feels like a solid object (I have a Fiesta ST, but regularly travel in a colleague's 1.0 EB Zetec so have a good point of reference).

Others may disagree, of course - including my wife who loves her Rapid!

For reference, our Spaceback is a 2014 SE 1.2 TSI 105 on 15" wheels.

With the Seat equivalent:

Price -  discounted OTR VAG product for the same as a low/mid range Dacia Duster!

Spec - Toys everywhere

Looks - Seat or Skoda both smart

Interior Space - limo legroom in the back and a big boot.

Dislikes:

NVH - quite a few creaks and groans from it but hey it was under 13k new!

Edited by camelspyyder

I hope you enjoy the test drive.

Ours is a Rapid Hatchback (not spaceback) but there are similarities. MY16 Rapid 1.2 TSI sport with upgraded navigation system to be precise:

I love the 1.2 TSI powertrain. It's perfectly matched to the car - enough grunt and really quite efficient.

Loads of space - massive boot and good rear room. It's a family car and we have 2 kids. Serves us really well - normal local trips and long distance.

Cheap to run so far. 23K miles and still on original tyres - loads of tread left too.

On the downsides:

There are a few rattles and groans developing - but nothing too bad and previous cars (including a 59 plate BMW 3 series) were as bad, if not worse.

Ventilation is poor. I normally need another shave before the screen demists in winter - even with a/c. And darling daughter always complains (in the insistent way only a 7yo girl can!) of being too hot in the back unless the a/c is blasting fully cold. That's fine in summer, but it gets a bit much in the depths of winter... Our previous cars have had vents in the rear, the rapid doesn't.

Stand on the brakes hard and the rear unloads alarmingly.For normal driving though it's quite composed and is a nice ride.

The heated windscreen is offered on some Octavias and Superbs.

I was sure that Ford had a patent on the design of theirs so I'm not sure how the Skoda version works

Since I am here, I have the notchback but for me the positive points are that it is pretty pokey for what it is and not much short of acceleration compared to my previous Honda Civic 1.8. It also pulls better on up hill sections of road than the Honda. The boot is huge, partly due to not having any cubby holes or pockets which means that it's all yours to do with as you wish.

I have found that there is a big blind spot from the A pillar, the rumbling noise can be fixed by adjusting the bump stops for the tailgate, the condensation is dreadful in the winter and the suspension seems to wallow when taking tight, slow corners

overall thought I love it and plan on keeping it. I have been tempted by a few cars over the past few months (new Fabia, new Octavia, new Honda Civic)but none of those has made me seriously want to change the car.

Some people complain about the handling. It's not a sports car and never will be but if you drive it properly it's a lot of fun. I'm a driver and enjoy proper driving on twisty roads and if it handled like a bed, like my Vauxhall Vectra did, it would have been traded for something else long ago. The fact that I still have it means that I enjoy driving it. I'm not a boy racer but I have surprised a lot of other motorists with much sportier cars by how good it handles.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info folks. Test drive done today and car ordered (1.2TSI 110 SE Sport in Corrida Red). I really don't see what all the fuss is about the ride quality. It's better than the Fiesta, just not as sharp on the handling.

• Like 2

Love:

Large boot

Economical to run and service

Easy to park

Reliable

Easy to drive/handle

Hate:

The seats - not very comfortable, narrow and not a lot of edge support (though I note that seats in more recent models are much better than in the first-year Spaceback cars like mine.

Rattling trim - Poor interior trim quality And body flex issues

Poor equipment levels (though if you buy a Toledo you get more kit for your money).

Dealer network - too many bad apples and not enough good ones IMHO

Average ride quality - even with 15inch wheels it's a bit crashy 

Notchy manual gearbox (would only buy DSG or full Auto in the future

On 07/04/2017 at 20:11, camelspyyder said:

Never seen one except on Ford's.  

Hey Air force! Does your Rapid not have rear air vents under the front seats? Mine does. Maybe your mats are blocking them?

Yep, they are there and working, but nonetheless it gets stuffy in the back with a bit of heat on, especially directed at the screen.

the outlets under the seats to the rear footwell are nothing like as effective as proper vents that can be directed on to the passengers. 

A shame because in all other regards, this is a great, comfortable family car that is costing me peanuts to run.

The ventilation is no problem in the summer - we went out in the sunshine yesterday. A/c on cold and very happy darling daughter.

5 minutes ago, chrisgreen said:

Dealer network - too many bad apples and not enough good ones IMHO

I guess I am lucky then - my local dealer has been great. A very relaxed but professional service. No bells, no whistles, but they just get on with it and always seem genuinely pleased to see you.

From what I've read, and from personal experience on the test ride, it seems that Skoda have done work to improve the ride quality on later Rapid's, can anyone else confirm this? Certainly the one I drove was absolutely fine on 17" wheels. 

As for the dealer network, I seem to have found a good one (although the salesman really doesn't like this place :o someone on here must have upset him at some time) that has been very helpful and really easy to deal with so far. Of course after sales service is where we really find out but it's not too bad, I have options if they turn out to not be that good.

To elaborate on my point about the dealer network - I too have found a good dealer (Willis Motor Company in South Ruislip - happy to recommend them). However, I dealt with a significant number of abysmal dealers before I landed there (inc the dealer I bought the car from - not Willis), and ŠKODA UK customer service was just as bad as any of the bad dealers.

On 10/04/2017 at 08:28, chrisgreen said:

Hate:

Notchy manual gearbox (would only buy DSG or full Auto in the future

I think there must have been some change in the gearbox (as well as the 1.2 engine) over the years.  We have had our Spaceback SE Tech 1.2 TSI, 110ps (MY2017) since January, and I would rate the 6 speed gearbox as excellent.  I find the gear change is very light and smooth - the best I've ever had, in fact.  The Spaceback gear change is certainly better than the 6 speed manual in my Octavia VRS.

I like the 6 speed / TSi 105 (110) combo as well.  However with the commuting miles I do, I think I would have been better served by the 5 Speed / TSi 86 which is far more highly rated on here for mpg.

5 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

I like the 6 speed / TSi 105 (110) combo as well.  However with the commuting miles I do, I think I would have been better served by the 5 Speed / TSi 86 which is far more highly rated on here for mpg.

Had both of the Engine size /number of gear combinations and in my experience there is no difference in the fuel consumption figures. Went on a 240 mile return journey to Blackpool on Sunday and achieved 59 mpg with 110 ps engine.

2 hours ago, Robbydazzler said:

Had both of the Engine size /number of gear combinations and in my experience there is no difference in the fuel consumption figures. Went on a 240 mile return journey to Blackpool on Sunday and achieved 59 mpg with 110 ps engine.

I'll be impressed if I ever manage that much! (Fiesta is quoted at 61 and I get consistent 43).  Best I've ever had is 50. I think my right foot might be a little heavy :D

• Like 1