What to check to see if your car is level

Are there things to check for example if the coolant fluid is level? Although this is not completely level on the bottle. 

Or are there part of the bodywork or engine you could put a spirit level on to make sure the car was level? 

I have always struggled to correctly read my oil level, especially when topping up or changing the oil. 

Just yesterday, i changed my engine oil and poured the used one in a measuring container. To my surprise it only came to 2 litres even though the level was on the max. Unfortunately I have already poured fresh oil and then noticed it wasn't clear like a new oil, which makes me to belief all wasn't properly drained. I can swear that I raised all 4 wheels level as I planed to also change the gearbox oil. So i decided not to do the gearbox oil change after this.

Does your Coolant Bottle not have MIN & MAX levels & no FILL TO THIS LEVEL.

So as long as the car is nearly on the flat you should be OK with checking.

As to the Oil, 

The Owners Manuals as Hot Check or Normal Operating Temps unless it is a 44Kw engine i think which is 'Cold Checks'.

Which is yours, Check Hot or Check Cold according to the Owners Manual.

(? What is your oil capacity 2.8 Litres?)

Parked Flat is pretty easy to see is it not,

ie Park, not in gear, no hand brake on, does the car run forward or back or sit where it is.

Use a Spirit Level on the ground if you are unsure what Level Ground is.

As to Oil Changes, maybe Vacuum Out the Oil, then after it is empty remove the Drain Plug to replace and see if more oil comes out.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

My parking area is not level but I usually face the car 'uphill' to drain the oil - this ensures the drain plug is the low point (I also slightly jack up the nearside front wheel to ensure that the drain plug is the low point).

I sometimes borrow some ramps which also raises the front of the car but I always make sure the drain plug side of the car is the low point.

With our polo 1.4 it is quite difficult to get the oil level correct,so I usually measure/pour in a little less than the max oil capacity and then drive round to a flat/level car park with hot engine,stop engine and then check the oil level after 5 - 10 minutes and add if required. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

Does your Coolant Bottle not have MIN & MAX levels & no FILL TO THIS LEVEL.

So as long as the car is nearly on the flat you should be OK with checking.

As to the Oil, 

The Owners Manuals as Hot Check or Normal Operating Temps unless it is a 44Kw engine i think which is 'Cold Checks'.

Which is yours, Check Hot or Check Cold according to the Owners Manual.

(? What is your oil capacity 2.8 Litres?)

Thanks for the reply and yes to all.