Advice Needed

Hi All,

Appreciate the help given previously on the idle issue and airbag light topics.

The car is:

05 Superb Elegance with 130bhp AWX PD Engine

one clutch change (3 piece clutch kit) at 109k in April 2016

one Timing Belt and Timing Belt Pulley change (No Tensioner change) at 77k in Sept 2014  

So, I have today taken the car in to the garage.

They hooked up an ecu scanner to see if there were any codes, which there were not. The mechanic then took the car for a drive a diagnosed the DMF as being on its way out.

The mechanic advised that although the clutch was changed 15k and one year ago this would also have to be replaced as it will be damaged by the DMF being on its way out. 

The garage have advised that they cant get me in for 2 weeks but that the car should be ok to drive for that time as long as it is not driven hard.

So, to my questions :)

1, As the cars MOT is due before the car is likely to get into the garage, is it likely to fail the MOT on the DMF?

2, Is it worth going to a SMF? I have seen kits on ebay going from £170 (DMR) to £440 (Borg and Beck)? Why such a difference in price is Borg and Beck really that much better?

3, If a DMF any particular make I should go for? Avoid?

4, If as suggested by garage a DMF and Clutch is required are there any other parts in the area that should also be replaced?

5, As Auxiliary belts have never been changed I want to get these done too. Can anyone list any parts I have missed?

Air Con Belt Tensioner & Mounting

Aircon belt,

Alternator belt tensioner damper (Is this an alternator clutch idle pulley?) 

Alternator Belt

Drive Belt Tensioner

6, If I decide to get the timing belt done are these all the parts that need to be replaced?

Timing Belt

Water Pump (Not OE Spec due to plastic fins - metal fins required) Any particular make recommended?

Tensioner (Wasnt change last time and has never been changed)

Idle Pulley

Is there a particular make that is recommended?

Will it be ok to leave the timing belt for a few more months (Last changed 2 years 6 months and circa 50k ago but tensioner not changed)

Many Thanks as always,

Ben

Has it had the leak yet that they all eventually get around the bulkhead air filter intake housing for the ventilation? Drain holes block with leaves and the pond of water flows in around the inlet housing.

Passenger side floor floods and an expensive control module under the seat fails causing all sorts of electrical issues.

On mine the only initial indication was the interior lights became intermmitent.

Hi Ken,

I have removed the 2 rubber bungs in the engine bay to allow the water to flow out of there, so as far as I know (I've owned it 6 months) there has not been any issue (All electrics work ok apart from drivers chair which I fixed by reconnecting the connectors). 

I looked at the pollen filter seal but it looks very clean so I haven't removed that but may no in the future.

Best Regards,

Ben

Ben, don't wait to reseal the pollen filter housing if it still has the original open foam seal or has had a bodge job repair done, check underneath the carpet front and back on both sides for damp and read the water ingress thread at the top of the page from start to finish it will be time well spent, all of these cars leak water in just a matter of time.

SMF I have an auto so not sure, but have seen some discussion on increased vibration after replacing the DMF so if you can source one at the right money then sticking with the DMF might be the way to go, Rotodiesel has same spec he would be a good source for info.

Gates, Contitech on the timing belt stuff just do it all when your in there, you can get complete kits including tensioner, time wise it could be left for awhile, the interval is (4years/60k).

Aux belt tensioner, AC tensioner and Clutch pulley: INA are a good brand

Have a look on some of the VW Passat forums for more info around the clutch, DMF issue for the best solution it has gotten very quiet in here the last year or so.

It should be noted that DMF clutches are used to reduce vibration not just for passenger comfort but to reduce vibration and mechanical wear in the gearbox and engine. If it has a DMF fitted it should be replaced with one.

Timing Belt - YOU SHOULD CHANGE THIS

Water Pump (Not OE Spec due to plastic fins - metal fins required) - YOU SHOULD CHANGE THIS

Tensioner (Wasnt change last time and has never been changed) - YOU SHOULD CHANGE THIS

Idle Pulley - YOU SHOULD CHANGE THIS

Air Con Belt Tensioner & Mounting - CHECK BEARING BY SPINNG, if nosy change if not, don't.

Aircon belt - YOU SHOULD CHANGE THIS

Alternator belt tensioner damper (Is this an alternator clutch idle pulley?) - YOU SHOULD CHANGE THIS - and prime it when fitted.

Alternator Belt - YOU SHOULD CHANGE THIS

CHECK ALL PULLEY WHEELS FOR PLAY AND NOISE WHILE THE FRONT IS OFF, IN ACCESS POSITION. CAHNGE ANYTHING AT THIS POINT