1.2 TSI 110PS fuel consumption

Seeing over 55 MPG on the display on a gentle 10 mile A road run this morning (mostly 50 to 60 MPH). Pretty good considering the car hasn't done 1000 miles yet and still feels tight. Ours is the 6 speed manual. I wondered how that compared to others with the same engine?

I drive a 1.2 SE L DSG Mk 3

My own experience of the display is that it is over optimistic.

I find the only way to get a more realistic mpgis to top up the tank Take a mileage reading and then do a calculation next time you top up

With my DSG I typically get 42 mpg and that's a mix of driving in Manchester and also longer runs

From other comments on the forum there is mot much difference in the Manual and DSG in terms of mpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnLD said:

I drive a 1.2 SE L DSG Mk 3

My own experience of the display is that it is over optimistic.

I find the only way to get a more realistic mpgis to top up the tank Take a mileage reading and then do a calculation next time you top up

With my DSG I typically get 42 mpg and that's a mix of driving in Manchester and also longer runs

From other comments on the forum there is mot much difference in the Manual and DSG in terms of mpg

Thanks, I agree  about not trusting the displays, problem here is that it's my wife's car and I only drive it occasionally so difficult to do the proper calculations. Her commute is an easy 20 miles each way on A roads so hopefully we'll see a bit better than you're getting over the long term as ours spends very little time in traffic.

45 minutes ago, Jerc said:

I use Spritmonitor to monitor my consumption.

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/801886.html

I have 1.2 Fabia Combi 90PS

Thanks, good idea but as I said above, it's my wife's car so I couldn't keep track of all the running and refuelling. Thanks for the link though, I will use that for my Superb.

2slo, your fuel consumption figure is about what I'd expect at those speeds in those conditions for an engine that is still not run in. Mine is the same, albeit a 110ps engine and DSG gearbox. The DSG's (7 speed auto) are supposed to be just a little more economical than the manual as it keeps the engine at max torque and short shifts to make sure you don't use too much fuel. In practice this only gives about 2 mpg more but over time it all helps. Best I've had is 57.9mpg not exceeding 65mph on a variety of roads, and leaving it in 'D' (drive). Your consumption should improve a little if you run her in right. The other thing I've found is that on both the DSG Fabia's that I've owned the fuel consumption computer has been spot on when comparing to brim to brim pencil and paper methods with almost no variance in the two ways of calculating the mpgs. 

• Like 2

I've had experience of a few DSG equipped Skodas and the fuel comsumption is nowhere near a manual. In fact, 2 identical Octavia 2.0 tdi PD's, exactly the same usage too. DSG 38 mpg, manual 48mpg. Quite a difference!

• Like 1

numptie, I'm talking about the Fabia Mk3 1.2TSI 110ps manual compared to the 1.2TSI 110ps 7 spd DSG Fabia 3 here. It will no doubt vary on other models. But my experience so far with these particular vehicles is that the DSG's have it in normal driving and probably in most other types of driving too. You have 7 gears to play with...lovely!

• Like 3

On 12/04/2017 at 12:42, 2slo said:

Seeing over 55 MPG on the display on a gentle 10 mile A road run this morning (mostly 50 to 60 MPH). Pretty good considering the car hasn't done 1000 miles yet and still feels tight. Ours is the 6 speed manual. I wondered how that compared to others with the same engine?

Looks normal to me. It might rise a bit, but this will probably be mostly due to you adjusting to the engine and gearbox. In my experience, the car component that has the biggest effect on fuel consumption is the meaty device found between the steering wheel and front offside seat.

On my daily commute (rural A road plus crossing a busy town) I get 45-50mpg; in fact I've found it hard to get under 45mpg unless the traffic's really bad. I've seen an average just over 60mpg on the rural bit but that was when stuck behind doing around 50mph and it was really boring.

Spot consumptions on a flat road going around 60mph with no wind seem to be around 65mpg, so not quite Citigo-frugal but getting there. And anyway, that's not why I bought it: floor it and it drops to single figures... (Why is there no 'petrolhead' emoticon?)

Edited by ettlz
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. I like the DSG which is supplied to the Fabia III with the 110 PS engine. A friend of mine has one and I was pleasantly surprised when I was in it as to how smooth it was. Previous experience with small automatic Fabias (previous models) wasn't good for me, they were jerky and seemed to have ill chosen ratios (probably a case of 'this is the only auto box we have which will fit that engine and it will have to do' on the part of the manufacturer). My wife insisted on a manual for her new Fabia though and I didn't tell her it had 6 gears until it arrived. Now she's driven it she likes the new gearbox fortunately! Her main concern when moving from a diesel (1.4 TDi 85 PS) was the potential for increased fuel bills with a petrol engine. Happy to see that appears to have been an unfounded worry, in fact it might be that the new car is cheaper to run based on what I'm seeing and reading. The long term overall average in the old car was just over 48 MPG over 8 years and 50k miles. A new diesel wasn't an option as they are more expensive to buy and her mileage wouldn't justify the extra cost. Also pleased that we got ours registered before the 1st April as the extra cost of road tax over the 8 years or so we'll expect to keep the car would have been around £1000 compared to one registered from April onwards!

Did a 130 mile round trip to Poole and back, keeping within limits but fairly heavy traffic. Averaged 59.7 from my 2200 mile 110, 6sp manual which made me happy. That was according to the computer readout. A later calculation with refuel (same petrol stn/pump) worked out at just over 55mpg overall with an additional 100 miles of mixed town/urban mileage, so pretty happy with that.

Edited by oldbiker
Poor punctuation
  • Like 1

Did a 55 mile round trip yesterday on A & B roads passing through 3 towns, so not fast. 5 adults in the car with an average readout of 54mpg. I haven't carried out a fill to fill mpg check yet.

• Like 1

Im at 5,4-5,5 l/100 km after 30000 kms. You may translate that into mpg and miles yourself. :)

110/6 sp manual doesnt need translation. 

• Like 1

Be very wary of the MFD until you can calibrate it as they can be 10% out....

My Golf was 7% out, however I spent 3000miles using the same fuel pump at a local fuel station which is in the shade & so ambient air temp is fairly stable there. I filled to first click, took mileage reading, run to fuel gauge in red zone, fill to first click etc. etc...The written logs showed the MFD was out so using VCDS I altered the reading as there is an adaption channel for this..

Now it's within 1% on a full tank refill..& I get 38 to 53 MPG depending on driving style/distance/time of year, tyres etc...average 45mpg, so in your lighter & smaller car you should be getting at least 48mpg 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

Be very wary of the MFD until you can calibrate it as they can be 10% out....

My Golf was 7% out, however I spent 3000miles using the same fuel pump at a local fuel station which is in the shade & so ambient air temp is fairly stable there. I filled to first click, took mileage reading, run to fuel gauge in red zone, fill to first click etc. etc...The written logs showed the MFD was out so using VCDS I altered the reading as there is an adaption channel for this..

Now it's within 1% on a full tank refill..& I get 38 to 53 MPG depending on driving style/distance/time of year, tyres etc...average 45mpg, so in your lighter & smaller car you should be getting at least 48mpg 

18 minutes ago, JohnLD said:

I may have missed it somewhere on the forum, but how do you calibrate the MFD??

VCDS & its an adaption channel in the instrument cluster mine was 7% over so setting to 107% corrected it...actual channel name description I can't remember but my car is Golf Mk7 & yes I am 98% certain there is the same basic channel in your Fabia..

Thanks for all the replies. We're happy with the new Fabia, seems a big step up in quality and technology from the old one. Just wish I could prise the keys off my wife more often...

So mine is the 90PS engine with a 5-speed manual, but I've averaged 48.5 mpg over the last 1932 miles according to the computer. Not bad at all IMO. Better weather and a more cooperative start/stop system have pushed it up lately. Plus I've done a few long drives down south, which I can generally average over 50 mpg (got 53 mpg driving back up yesterday). I think the 110PS engine would do better on those long motorway cruises, having more gears!

Interesting comment by vc-10 on gearing. At a rough calculation from my rev counter and speedo I reckon my 6 speed 110hp estate on standard 15in wheels gives about 30mph per 1000revs in 6th. How does that compare with 5th gear in the 90hp Fabia? Does anybody know the factory figures?

I could have sworn that it was in the brochure, but looking again now I can't find it! 6th is certainly higher than my 5th if it's 30 mph per 1000 rpm- I'll try and remember to take a look next time I'm driving!

Thanks juho. I cannot interpret the figures either but from crude calculation the final drive on the 5 speed is 8.26% higher than 6 speed but the 6th gear on the 110hp is 17.56% higher than 5th (which is the same on both models). Does that make the 110 hp Fabia 9.3% higher geared assuming same wheel/tyre size or am I missing something?