Fabia VRS milltek exhaust

7 minutes ago, stevobeavo said:

If you want a bit more noise then get the local exhaust shop to cut your back box off and weld in a bit of pipe. Cheap to do. 

Intercooler and turbo are a much better upgrade. And don't forget your brakes too.

Yeah i pushed exhaust to the side, now i am looking at darkside intercooler kit a bit cheaper and from you guys i learned that it is alot better upgrade. I will fly down to my mechanic and will ask if he could weld pipe in. 

11 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Front Mount Inter Cooler. I mean the exhaust system is a waste of money, if you want to spend hundreds of euros and go faster then just fit a hybrid turbo and get it remapped to suit, sell the chip on ebay.

okay just think about this for a second, if you have a narrower bore exhaust from the turbo then the exhaust gases slow down leading the turbo not to spin up so fast or reach max rpm's - thus boost is not created. Likewise if you front mounted intercooler is to large and to restrictive then you will get boost loss. BTW the cost of an FMIC and pipe kit is about half of the fitting costs - unless you can fit yourself.

I agree that an exhaust won't have as huge effect as a hybrid turbo and a remap.

Lastly, diesels are different to petrols in terms of the way they ignite fuel and the burn rate (slow/fast). However, they are both 4 cycle pumps - pumping in fuel and air (oxygen), pumping out exhaust gases.

John

N.B did you find out if the Irish 'emissions' test is different from the British?

2 hours ago, john2017 said:

okay just think about this for a second, if you have a narrower bore exhaust from the turbo then the exhaust gases slow down leading the turbo not to spin up so fast or reach max rpm's - thus boost is not created. Likewise if you front mounted intercooler is to large and to restrictive then you will get boost loss. BTW the cost of an FMIC and pipe kit is about half of the fitting costs - unless you can fit yourself.

I agree that an exhaust won't have as huge effect as a hybrid turbo and a remap.

Lastly, diesels are different to petrols in terms of the way they ignite fuel and the burn rate (slow/fast). However, they are both 4 cycle pumps - pumping in fuel and air (oxygen), pumping out exhaust gases.

John

N.B did you find out if the Irish 'emissions' test is different from the British?

Unfortunately i havent yet. I will let you know if i wont forget :D

4 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

?

Have you recently just got this car, and are the gears working as they should yet.

?

Are you with an Insurance company that is OK with cars mods or have you to sort that out yet?

Yeah i bought the car on 4th february, thr gears are very smooth if driving nornally, if i start reving to max then i sometimes miss the shift or get blocked shifts (most likely due to lack of experience). About the insurance, they dont have to know everything i am being ripped off by them anyway.

49 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

OK, that will be for other threads.

At least you are paying insurance so that helps 3rd parties get paid out if anything happens obviously you would likely get nothing other than bills and maybe soap on a rope from friends and family.

With the ammount of cars driving with engine swaps in ireland i dont think they would care about the intercooler ir exhaust. I would just say that this is how i bought the car from previous owner. And god forbidd the worst case scenario where anything happens to my baby.

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

You are sorted then. Have fun.

Just remember to buy everything for cash no cards used, debit or credit and do not start a build thread or post pictures online because as stupid as some are loss adjusters are smart and clued up on computers and forum.

RSA.ie - Modified Vehicles.mhtml

Thank you for the advice, if i ever start a thread i will hide all licence plate numbers. I probably wont.

9 hours ago, john2017 said:

John

asked my mechanic and he said that diesels do get tested for emissions and smoke test here in Ireland :/ but mufflerectomy is happening next week!

11 hours ago, john2017 said:

okay just think about this for a second, if you have a narrower bore exhaust from the turbo then the exhaust gases slow down leading the turbo not to spin up so fast or reach max rpm's - thus boost is not created.

Oh dear, it's you who needs to think about this, in a narrower pipe a fluid actually travels faster, not slower, it's the mean gas speed which is more important than bulk flow because a diesel turbo is a VNT whereas a petrol turbo is a FGT.

As long as the exhaust system is not restrictive then a narrower bore is better, not worse, and since we know the standard system is capable of flowing enough gas for ~220 BHP then increasing the flow potential to 300+ BHP will make NO difference to the engine at all.

I've done this for a living, I actually know what I'm talking about. Engineering is not a game of guesswork, it's a science with right answers and wrong answers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Oh dear, it's you who needs to think about this, in a narrower pipe a fluid actually travels faster, not slower, it's the mean gas speed which is more important than bulk flow because a diesel turbo is a VNT whereas a petrol turbo is a FGT.

As long as the exhaust system is not restrictive then a narrower bore is better, not worse, and since we know the standard system is capable of flowing enough gas for ~220 BHP then increasing the flow potential to 300+ BHP will make NO difference to the engine at all.

I've done this for a living, I actually know what I'm talking about. Engineering is not a game of guesswork, it's a science with right answers and wrong answers.

Oh dear, some petrol turbos do have vgt turbos, for example Porsche 911 turbo, others use interesting ways around this such as twin scroll. If you put a turbo 'in' the exhaust manifold you are restricting exhaust flow. A narrower bore might be better to increase back pressure but diesels need very little. Let's not confuse fluid and gaseous dynamics.

i started trying to use my 15 years experience acquiring knowledge of this subject to offer advice.

i will now offer minjukas the option to communicate via pm only

19 minutes ago, john2017 said:

Oh dear, some petrol turbos do have vgt turbos, for example Porsche 911 turbo, others use interesting ways around this such as twin scroll. If you put a turbo 'in' the exhaust manifold you are restricting exhaust flow. A narrower bore might be better to increase back pressure but diesels need very little. Let's not confuse fluid and gaseous dynamics.

i started trying to use my 15 years experience acquiring knowledge of this subject to offer advice.

14 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Guys guys! No need to fight! You both know more than i do and any information/help is appreciated! :)

Edited by Minjukas

14 minutes ago, john2017 said:

John, you're over-reacting wildly, I am aware that there are a few (very few) petrol engines with a VGT setup but that's frankly a distraction because conventional tuning wisdom won't work with these either.

A gas is a fluid as far as the mathematics of flow are concerned, so fluid dynamics is the right tool to use.

Back pressure is also a distraction because it doesn't really mean anything, we generally use it to refer to the sudden choking effect of a poorly designed silencer or to the pulse tuning effect available in a naturally aspirated engine.

I'm not going to agree with you because you're not right, don't shoot the messenger or activate the strawman hypothesis.

An exhaust pipe is either big enough or it isn't, in this case it is. Ok.

6 minutes ago, Minjukas said:

Guys guys! No need to fight! You both know more than i do and any information/help is appreciated! :)

Relax, I'm not in a fight, we're just not going to be able to agree about this and I'm telling him why in a calm and rational fashion.

Also, if he's been thinking about this the wrong way for 15 years then he NEEDS this information yesterday.

Edited by sepulchrave

17 minutes ago, john2017 said:

Something to do with your tone "oh dear" - very patronising !!!!

That's your interpretation and not my intention, after all you decided to publicly disagree with me, you'll have to grow a thicker skin if you want to play the expert on the interwebs.

I freely admit I didn't consider your 'feelings', that's a facebook thing, there's never an easy way to tell someone when they're wrong, since they always get bent out of shape, but hey, it's a living.

• john999boy changed the title to Fabia VRS milltek exhaust
  • gadgetman locked this topic