Engine Rattle

thre3aces

Timing chain rattle get it to a dealer to check does it go a little quieter under load as the slack is taken out also when you press clutch pedal does in disappear,failing that you may have a damaged or blocked oilway on the tappet i think these auto adjust but I'm no expert though 

34 minutes ago, clem747 said:

Timing chain rattle get it to a dealer to check does it go a little quieter under load as the slack is taken out also when you press clutch pedal does in disappear,failing that you may have a damaged or blocked oilway on the tappet i think these auto adjust but I'm no expert though 

Yea the noise goes when the clutch gets pressed in. But 

The phone holder should seperate from the main body im thinking of making a wedge so that when the phone is back in place its more towards me However despite seperating it to have the clip at the top it wont come undone im trying the little tab but to NO avail OH drats just read Ive posted on original non related thread

149211579545690809399.jpg

Edited by clem747

2 hours ago, clem747 said:

The CHY engine is a variant of the EA211 and such has a rubber cam belt, not a chain. :)

That rattle is is far from normal though and needs expert attention.

Edited by ronime

If it stops when clutch is pressed, it is normal and comes from transmission. I think it's caused by uneven idling of 3 cylinder engine. I've had 3 Citigos now and all have had some rattle occasionally. 

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 10:34, Estate Man said:

Get it checked at your local Skoda dealer. You may have a partially collapsed hydraulic tappet caused by dirt blocking the oilway on the tappet. Easy fix but must be looked at. 

Dayum. Yea service booked. I'll make sure they look specifically for that 

1 hour ago, Hyphons said:

100% normal, mine sounds and does exactly the same, if I remember, I'll get a video up at some point

Unless the microphone gain has been boosted to exaggerate the OP's problem I strongly disagree with Hyphons comment above. Listen beyond the injector tick and there is a distinct mechanical rattle.

The OP has stated that this noise was not present when he bought the car and there is no justification for putting up with it now.

11 minutes ago, ronime said:

Unless the microphone gain has been boosted to exaggerate the OP's problem I strongly disagree with Hyphons comment above. Listen beyond the injector tick and there is a distinct mechanical rattle.

The OP has stated that this noise was not present when he bought the car and there is no justification for putting up with it now.

I can't hear any 'mechanical' rattle myself, even listening at the same time of my video the sound is near enough exact, I should also point out I was listening through headphones with the volume very high up and still can't hear the rattle in question, maybe I'm just getting old?

Edited by Hyphons

1 hour ago, Hyphons said:

I can't hear any 'mechanical' rattle myself, even listening at the same time of my video the sound is near enough exact, I should also point out I was listening through headphones with the volume very high up and still can't hear the rattle in question, maybe I'm just getting old?

How old are you and how many broken engines have you overhauled or rebuilt? Do you even know what common engine faults sound like?

It doesn't matter whether you or I can rear a rattle on a poorly recorded smartphone video, the OP knows his own car and the engine noise has changed for the worse and he is right to be concerned about it.

What kind of engine failure doesn't exist anymore when clutch is pressed? I thought I know something about engines but this surely is new to me. I'm following but not going to go to dealer just yet.  

:giggle:

10 hours ago, ronime said:

How old are you and how many broken engines have you overhauled or rebuilt? Do you even know what common engine faults sound like?

It doesn't matter whether you or I can rear a rattle on a poorly recorded smartphone video, the OP knows his own car and the engine noise has changed for the worse and he is right to be concerned about it.

22 years young and I'm not questioning your judgement at all or even trying to say "I'm right your wrong" am I supposed to know your age and mechanical background? It's just that to me the sound seems normal as mine has sounded the same since I can remember (taking into account I have owned the car since new).

What I would do myself if I was still unsure is nip down to a Skoda dealer and ask if I could listen to one of their Citigo's down there, compare sounds as it might even be that it's much more visible to hear in person than on a video.

Edited by Hyphons

Haha

Dayum guys chill :D 

we're all friend here. Although yes the engine sound is remarkably similar. I think there is something new in the background, it certainly was never that loud and the engine didn't move around as much as it does in the video. But I think both of you are right. It's hard to judge the tone based on phone recordings, but also it doesn't sound majorly off. It could be nothing. Or it could be an early warning sign. I'm just gonna get a skoda dealer to say it's nothing, I'm selling the car in about a month or so. Just want someone to point my finger at if the engine decides to blow up :P 

• Like 1

If your engine blow up it was caused by something else than normal gearbox noise. 

It's also normal that 3 cyl engine move more than 4 cyl engine when idling. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys 

All sorted now. 

Had that issue mentioned in other topics where there's some sort of noise (knocking/rattling) that goes away when the clutch is pressed in. But other than that the skoda engineers didn't notice anything abnormal. Maybe I just never noticed how much the engine moves around when idling. 

But I'm selling the car off in a week or so anyways. Guess it's their problem if there is one. But the Skoda folks assured me that it was fine; so if anything goes wrong they're accountable. 

Have these engines with rattles ever resulted in catastrophic failure as although I've both read and experienced issues it seem the little blighters just carry on running.

I've had a couple of HTP engines and now this 1 ltr MPI and have to say they all rattled and chirped a bit.:blush: It's a characteristic I've learned to live with and although the little engines seem indestructible the noises do seem to be driving their owners to destruction.:D Maybe the worry is because a lot of the  noise on the Citigo/Up/Mii does seem to generate from the clutch assembly.

I just wonder though how many have actually let people down or do the clutches, like the little engines just rattle on regardless?.