Panoramic Sunroof Seal

Hi there, i'm new to the forum but hoping someone can help me with a problem that I have with my 2016 Superb L&K estate with panoramic roof.  As the sun actually made an appearance over the last few days I opened the sunroof for the first time only to discover that the seal on both sides of the rear section of the glass roof has ripped! I've already taken the car into the dealer and currently waiting to see if Skoda will cover under warranty as they feel it may not be a problem with the opening/closing mechanism of the sunroof - yeah right!!  Anyone else had a similar issue?  Certainly not great for the flagship model in the Skoda range.

IMG_3475[1].JPG

The seal has been bone dry and stuck together..  this can be caused by heat or a damp seal which has frozen.

On such a new car, this is a warranty job... unless it says in the manual you have to treat the seals after each use !!!

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, I own a VW Golf with a panoramic roof and holes have appeared the same as in your picture of your Skoda. The car is a 2016 model and I noticed the holes when it was just a year old. The main dealer is saying that this is caused by outside influence (birds and rodents!) which I disagree with as it looks rotten and it's getting worse. I'm wondering whether Skoda covered it under the warranty. 

4 hours ago, VWGolfowner said:

Hi, I own a VW Golf with a panoramic roof and holes have appeared the same as in your picture of your Skoda. The car is a 2016 model and I noticed the holes when it was just a year old. The main dealer is saying that this is caused by outside influence (birds and rodents!) which I disagree with as it looks rotten and it's getting worse. I'm wondering whether Skoda covered it under the warranty. 

Hi, the initial response when I took the car to Skoda was similar and that it was caused by jet washing the car which I hadn't done.  It was escalated to the Skoda technical dept and they agreed it was a fault with the material getting caught in the roof opening mechanism and it has been replaced under warranty.  The Skoda dealership also agree with me that the material the seel is made from is not strong enough and may well happen again. I would push further with VW for them to replace under warranty if I was you. 

Thanks for your response. Glad you got a result from Skoda. I'm going to go back to VW and take this further.  My concern is if I paid to have the seal replaced as they won't agree to cover it under the warranty is that it might happen again.  It could prove to be a very expensive annual cost!