Need help regarding RNS510 in Octavia MK2

I’m Nirmal from India, need your expert advice.  I have skoda Octavia mk2 a5 (skoda Laura named here) 2006 L&K model.  It is fitted with auto climate control front and rear 8 parking sensors and Skoda Audience Head Unit.

Now i’ve bought Skoda Columbus RNS 510 (3T0 035 680 A HW: H11 SW: 2764) from eBay, 2010 model with green lights in buttons. I successfully installed it, done coding with vcds too. 

Now I’m facing three major problems:

1. The parking sensors are not displaying the data on Columbus. But the parking unit is working as I’m able to hear the beeps.
  2. AC information is not showing on the display.
  3. Steering wheel buttons are not working (its a 4 spoke oem steering wheel).  I have ticked the short press buttons in VCDS also (07 coding, then long coding of Navigation)

my CAN Bus gateway details are as follow:

VCDS informationAddress 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 1K0-907-530-V1.clbPart No SW: 1K0 907 530 F HW: 1K0 907 951 Component: Gateway H10 0120 Revision: H10 Serial number: 2800105B0980C1Coding: 7D7F0743071303Shop #: WSC 73430 790 12345VCID: 2A5B437E85A44B1197-807E

I'm Attaching herewith the pictures of parkatronic module and radio details...

Please help me in this regard. I’ll be grateful you.  Is there any need to upgrade/downgrade the firmware of Columbus. 

1.jpg

2.JPG

The three major consequences you list are all standard consequences of fitting Columbus in an early Octy ( or Laura). Off the top of my head I can't remember all the details but 1 and 2 cannot be fixed through the head unit, if that can be sorted at all. But their absence seems a small price to pay for the much better head unit. The buttons issue may be fixable with a firmware fix/ change. It's definitely covered in previous threads on here because I had these same symptoms when I put a Columbus in my 2008 Octy a few years ago. 

• Like 1

You won't get the display working for parking or climate unless you upgrade those modules and make some minor wiring changes or unless you fit a polar FIS unit.

As Sarge says the steering wheel buttons is likely to be an RNS510 firmware issue. See

http://www.my-gti.com/3374/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-and-information

Its the file 2760_sk_fix you probably need.

Adam

Edited by adamal

Thanks a lot Sarge  Sir for answering my query and saying that this is a small price to pay for such a better head unit… as before this I’m in a dilemma to keep this or not (because quality said keep Columbus and functionality said vice versa)…. But now its clear that I’ll go by my heart and keep this …. Love you for that.

Thanks a lot to Adamal Sir too as you gave me the link.. this will narrow down the search and save my time too… You did one more thing … introduced a new module polar FIS unit.. Love you too for that.

I’ll update the firmware to 2760.. but just advise me that if I update to 6xxx like yours (as I’m reading your modifications) will my steering controls work .. and any significant change I got.

Last but not the least .. I’m unable to get the India maps for Columbus.. can you help me for that too

Thanks in advance

Don't update your columbus beyond 4xxx! Mine is a newer dab columbus, and the 6xxx firmware is different and not applicable to your unit. To be honest there is not much value in changing fimware beyond your 2764, all the subsequent benefits are marginal. The link I sent was to provide the mini upgrade which takes care of the button issue.

I can't help with Indian maps sorry.

Adam

Moreover I'm thinking of polar FIS for  other issues .. just work out about the cost factor ... I mean how much to spend for the information of parking sensors... (hardly matters if the climatronic does not comes up on Columbus 

Modifying the parking module and wiring is cheaper but its fiddly. See this thread I started on the subject a few years ago before I knew about the Polar option.

For the extra cash, Polar FIS also gives other useful benefits as advertised, and also supports installation of newer bluetooth modules.

Admal sir the file 2760_sk_fix is removed from that link.. but im able to download 4020.. will this file activate the steering mounted controlled?? and is it easy to downgrade the firmware if required

The Skoda fix you need is here. Link.

Edit: Note that you shouldn't be just throwing fixes and firmwares at the unit in the hope it'll make things work. If you have a 2*** firmware installed on your unit, and you need the steering wheel fix, then only the 2*** based fix will do what you want. It doesn't install a new firmware, but it installs some modified files to achieve the end result you need. You might also have a problem with battery drain issues. If you do, then you can update / change the cars CAN gateway or you can instead apply a firmware fix.

Edited by Rustynuts

Great Adamal sir ... now I got it ... it's not a firmware but just a fix ... sir I don't have the problem of battery drain... I won't experiment with firmwares .. thanks for alerting me..

thanks for the file too... 

Now a strange thing happened... initially only volume buttons working ... with vcds if I enabled BAP the next and previous and mute button also started working but the audio tab in maxidot not showing up

BAP is not correct in a pre FL. The pre FL uses the DDP protocol which is why its not showing in maxidot.

Have you tried a reset of the Columbus?

Edited by adamal

Untick BAP. You wont get communication with maxidot with it ticked. If you have tried the three button reset, there may be an issue with the coding in 16 for the steering.

Respected Sirs….. I’ve unticked the BAP.. got the information on Maxidot again. But all buttons again stopped working except vol up/down

I’ve also did the reset Columbus… Checked the 16-Steering wheel too.. correct steering wheel selected (moreover all the steering buttons were working with Previous radio i.e audience)

Now the final outcome is

If I enabled BAP

Vol UP/Down, Next Previous and mute buttons are working (to fast forward or reverse I need to long press next/ previous buttons) otherwise fast forward and fast reverse buttons are not working.   But audio information disappears in Maxidot

If I untick BAP

Vol UP/Down are working…. Next Previous, fast forward/reverse and mute buttons are not working.   But audio information appears in Maxidot

Now I have only one option left i.e update firmware of Columbus.   I’ve downloaded 4020a for this (have to upgrade yet). 

Please suggest what should I do??

I've downloaded 4020a because I searched and found only this.. If you suggest other version ... please send me the link too. even I don't have any problem with custom firmware.

Thanks in advance

Edited by nirmaldgr8

4020 may work. But as rustynuts states this is a little risky given all the modifiications made to the software and the number of times these files have been copied, posted to web and reposted etc. It has now been a few years since these firmwares first hit the web when this was less of an issue. Also you will repartition your hard drive thus losing maps and music so if you dont have a map disc you might be stuck. Even if you do, the dvd drive might be a bit temperamental in a 7 year old head unit and maps will fail to reload.

I have re-read your original post and I suspect your issue is related to use of an old CAN gateway (ie no older than 2006) with a head unit that was only used from around 2008 onwards. It definitely runs the risk of battery drain and I think your issue is a CAN comms iisue. I think your best course of action is updating that, which can be done cheaply these days.

If I were you I would ask rustynuts and see if he agrees but I think this would be his advice too. Changing the gateway carries its own risks but if you make a record of coding prior to removing and replicate it in the new module exactly, it is fairly safe.

The other possibility is still coding. You mention 07 in your first post - what is this? I am pretty sure I havent got an 07 module in my 2008 L & K (can't check as away at present) and I also can't recall the short press thing you mention either. But I am also sure we would have a similar oem steering wheel, albeit with different buttons.

Adam

Edited by adamal
Typo

sir 07 coding is in 56 radio actually.  Thanks for your suggestion.. I will not install 4020.. or just wait for Rusty sir's opinion... By the way there are no maps available for Columbus, so i might be on least risk in concern with maps