DSG. Do I have a problem?

I've started to notice that when going down a hill (hill near me, quite steep but a 60mph road) the gearbox keeps changing down to lower gears and using engine braking, typically down to 3rd and the revs rising to about 3.5K. I find myself more and more pushing the lever into manual and slotting it forward a couple of times.

It's also changing down a gear quite abruptly when I'm coming to junctions (think manual gearbox and someone coming off the clutch too fast in 1st gear when the car is going too fast for that gear) 

Is this normal behaviour? I've never had a DSG 'box before so can't really compare it. 

The car is going in soon to have my noisy suspension investigated, so if I'm advised on here that it is not normal, then I will ask them to look at the box too.

Cheers,

Ivor.

Changing down gears whilst going down a steep hill is perfectly normal, the rough gear changes are down to the ‘dogbone’ gearbox mount being a bit too soft... this is a fine line too soft and you can get rough changes as the engine rocks, too stiff and you transmit vibrations through the car.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gizmo68 said:

Changing down gears whilst going down a steep hill is perfectly normal, the rough gear changes are down to the ‘dogbone’ gearbox mount being a bit too soft... this is a fine line too soft and you can get rough changes as the engine rocks, too stiff and you transmit vibrations through the car.

Cheers. So I guess this is considered normal?

Both my Company Octavia and my own Superb act in exactly the same way, in fact on long down hill runs I put the DSG into sport mode for additional engine breaking, I am very pleased with both my cars with DSG, I do find my Superb DSG box a bit smother than the Octavia for some reason.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Jaytipe perfectly normal.

One thing that´s not a problem as well, that you will propably notice when it rises to an occasion is going up the hill with a cold engine. 
It kinda makes a jinx or you can also describe it as a drag. At first I thought that it´s a problem, when consulting with a local dealer they said that´s it´s perfectly normal. Although it does not feel normal. Just for information for all of you to avoid wasting time going to the dealers.

It will propably be fixed in some upcoming software update.

Happens to me as well, I find myself manually changing as mine slips from fifth to third on a couple of regular inclines I'm on.  The DSG takes a while to get used to but still a very good box.

Upon comparing the DSG boxes that the new S3´s have to the ones that the old ones had, its a whole different level.

The new DSG boxes (when transmission fluids are at working temperature) are perfect. There are some issues however when the fluids are not warm.

But still, really really good automatic tranmission when you think of the first generation ones. 

What is not perfect on start up before the DSG (Automated manual) has fluids at working temperatures?

What do you consider to be working temperatures for a Wet Clutch DSG, ie how many miles covered at what ambient temperatures.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2017 at 13:53, Awayoffski said:

What is not perfect on start up before the DSG (Automated manual) has fluids at working temperatures?

What do you consider to be working temperatures for a Wet Clutch DSG, ie how many miles covered at what ambient temperatures.

I dont know the precise details. But, the logic goes that after your engine is warm (oil) then it takes usually around 5 minutes and then the transmission fluids are at working temperature aswell.

I can tell by some elements how the car changes gears whether its warm or not.

When it gets warms, it changes perfectly on inclines and runs smoother. Atleast I can tell the difference.