Rear wheel bearings

Did one last week 

relatively easy to change

Calliper off,disc off,and one large M18 bolt holds on the wheel bearing(its all one unit)

takes a bit of force to remove the nut,but my m8 is 3/4 so wasn't too bad,I think a 1/2 would struggle 

I also changed this recently on drivers side. As gizmo98 mentioned the change was not hard, but took some force (maybe a breaker bar would help).

The part number you are looking for is: 1T0598611 

As for the part itself here is a link to it: Rear Wheel Bearing (Ebay) I suggest you to buy a Kit with new Bolt.

I personally purchased a SKF part which is said to be OEM for these cars. (dont know 100%) As for me it has worked great for now.

One more thing you might consider is that the torx bit for this as said is M18 and it was hard to obtain where i am from. So consider to get this in advance too.

On 4/26/2017 at 07:37, Gissin said:

you probably have, but have you checked your tires wavy tread can cause a bearing noise.

deffo agree on the breaker bar depending on how many miles yours has done  but certainly with the right tools its not a hard job

What he said - unless you are certain it is a rear bearing issue, check your your tyres and alignment first ..

My contis were running low and I started hearing the humming bearing sound and once they were changed and alignment back to specifications done - noise gone.

If you are certain it is the wheel bearing, then go for it.

I just had a rear bearing go on a pre-FL. The main dealer, all-in price was £242.

Have you had any unexplained TPM, ABS or traction control alarms? I worked out mine was going because those kept going off because the wheel sensor was misreading. It wasn't making any funny noises. How many miles has the car done?

Edited by Papfox

you won't make anything wrong with new bearings - I replace them often. It is cheap and fuel economy doesn't suffer.

if you like some hand brake fun...don't confuse damaged wheel bearing with flat patches of damaged tyre.

I managed to destroy alloy rims...with run out 5mm :-D It makes similar noise to damaged wheel bearing

bottom line...if you have still round rims, no flat spots on tyre and don't drive winter tires...it is bearing