Fabia wagon vs Rapid Spaceback - not again! :-)

Looking at replacing my worn-out (235,000km and A$2,400 in repairs in the last month!) 2000 Holden (Vauxhall) Astra.

Wife has a gorgeous 2012 Opel (Vauxhall) Astra GTC as primary transport for us, so I'm looking complement it with a sort of utilitarian family hack, with good cargo room, good economy, decent equipment and something I'm going to enjoy driving around town and on the occasional long drive by myself (which isn't the same as wanting an all-out drivers' car).  Skoda ticks the boxes nicely, but it's nowhere near as established in Australia as in the UK (only sells about 4,000 per year).

I'd ideally like more room than the Astra, which rules out the Fabia hatch.  Start looking at the wagon, though, and it comes up against the Rapid Spaceback (Rapid sedan isn't sold here) with the same maximum space with the rear seats down...  Note that (a) rear legroom is nice but not vital - we're both retired (b) I intend to keep the car for 12-15 years/220,000 km so depreciation isn't a major concern (c) I want a manual.

Fabia Wagon

Plus:

Newer design
Skoda sells more of them so probably better spares backup.
Better reviews than the Spaceback
More bells and whistles available

Minus:

66TSI engine standard - only way to get the 81 is with DSG.  Is it underpowered with the base engine, especially for cross-country driving?

Rapid Spaceback:

More internal room
*** big one*** 81STI engine plus six-speed base engine
(minor) to me looks less like a mini car

Minus:

Is the ride and handling worse than the Fabia?  In particular can it handle the extra power?
Hardly anyone's heard of them.
Are the seats still worse than the Fabias?

I've considered and rejected the Monte Carlo versions - for me they're wildly overpriced (c. $A4,000) for what they offer and the included panoramic sunroof is about as useful as a chocolate teapot in an Australian summer, though I'd love the sports seats in the Spaceback :-)

My impression of a lot of the criticism of the Rapid is that it's being compared with other more sophisticated mid-range cars whereas it's better considered a long-wheelbase Fabia and priced accordingly.

Fully optioned up (Sports Packs 1 and 2) the Fabia wagon list is $21,240, Spaceback with Image Pack (gives equipment between the two Fabia sports packs) $20,890.

Any thoughts?

I can only comment on the Rapid myself, I am in Australia as well and did take delivery of a manual MY17 Rapid Monte Carlo late last year.

In regards to your concerns with it, definately no issues with the power, it's a little painful under 2000rpm so you need to keep the revs up if you want to accelerate without issue.  Ride to me is nice, I've owned VW Jetta's before and handling is comparable, I believe they have improved it a lot in recent years. I do like a firmer ride i will note.

Space is awesome, it is our second car and with kids will have no issues with years to come and it has a nice big boot for its size.

I suggest drive them both and see how you go, I have no complaints really so far 4000km in.

Best of luck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Icemave said:

I can only comment on the Rapid myself, I am in Australia as well and did take delivery of a manual MY17 Rapid Monte Carlo late last year.

Thanks for very much for your reply - leans me further towards the Rapid.

I notice you have the Monte Carlo.  A couple of questions about it

1.  do you think it's value for money?
2.  what's your favourite features of it?
3.  how did the panoramic roof go in an Australian summer?
4.  did you buy the Tech Pack?

cheers!

Rapid was built & designed for India & China, sales now poor due to increased competition from Kia & others which are better "bling" for the same price.

VAG are looking at cutting costs & dropping the Rapid has been strongly hinted at as it outsold by the Fabia & even the basic spec Octavia..

Edited by fabdavrav

The Rapid for India is a quite different car altogether.

The Rapid that Europe and Oz get is the one also pushed at China and Brazil (in VW versions Santana / Gran Santana as well as Skoda models) 

And the Rapid actually sells rather well :

ŠKODA deliveries to customers in 2016 (in units, rounded off, by model; +/- in percent compared to 2015):

ŠKODA OCTAVIA (436,300; +0.9 %)
ŠKODA RAPID (212,800; +9.5 %)
ŠKODA FABIA (202,800; +5.4 %)
ŠKODA SUPERB (139,100; +73.4 %)
ŠKODA YETI (95,600; -4.0 %) 
ŠKODA CITIGO (only sold in Europe: 40.700; +1.4 %) 

ŠKODA deliveries to customers in December 2016 (in units, rounded off, by model; +/- in percent compared to 2015):

ŠKODA OCTAVIA (36,600; +3.1 %)
ŠKODA RAPID (18,200; +20.7 %)
ŠKODA FABIA (14,600; -1.9 %)
ŠKODA SUPERB (12,400; +32.6 %)
ŠKODA YETI (6,200; -27.3 %)
ŠKODA CITIGO (only sold in Europe: 3300; +6.9 %)

Whilst Fabia sales appear to be dropping now it's no longer the "new kid on the block"

for the OP:

The 81TSI is KW I guess, so I can tell you in the UK the equivalent 105/110 TSi does not overpower the car at all.

Edited by camelspyyder
dispelling some part-truths further up the page

22 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Just sales / lease / first registrations pretty poor in the UK then.

http://skoda.co.uk/news/skoda-posts-record-uk-sales-in-2016 

Thanks for that!;)

Quote:- "Sales for ŠKODA’s multi-award winning Fabia continued to grow with the model finding homes with 20,522 customers in 2016, up 8.5% on 2015.

ŠKODA also sold 4,826 Rapid and 8,140 Citigo models in 2016."

Like I said the Rapid ain't selling that well...

I yes I'll give my earlier comments about India & China models being based on slightly different platforms, with the 2011+ Rapid for India based on A05/PQ25 platform MK2 Fabia/MK5 Polo/Vento, & the China & European Rapid is A05+ platform MK4 Toledo

4 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

Like I said the Rapid ain't selling that well...

Maybe not in GB, I mean there are only so many OAP who want a Rapid/Toledo here,

But worldwide near on a quarter of a million shifted last year (and more than the fab III) is pretty big numbers for a niche car from a small sub-brand of a large multi-national corporation.

20 hours ago, GdayBruce said:

Thanks for very much for your reply - leans me further towards the Rapid.

I notice you have the Monte Carlo.  A couple of questions about it

1.  do you think it's value for money?

I think for what I paid it's not to bad, I know the resale here in Aus is extremely poor, I bought it with the intent to own for a fair few years.  I ended up paying $25,800 with the tech pack drive away.  I am not sure you will get another European car with the features for that price.  You will absolutely get a Korean or Japanese car around that.  I am not sure how it will age in regards to rattles etc, none so far to speak of.  I have a 3yr old and 5 yr old and as I am tall our previous second car had no leg room left when I was driving it.  I can put the driver seat right back in this where I drive and still sit in the back seat myself.  From memory seeing an Octavia this would have more leg room in the back if that's of importance.

2.  what's your favourite features of it?

I enjoy as it stands out a bit, it can stick to the corners as well if you want it to.  It would be the best steering wheel on a car I have had with the texture and flat bottom.  The inside space is a plus, seats are nice and do like the extra features from the tech pack such as climate control, android auto etc.

3.  how did the panoramic roof go in an Australian summer?

If you keep the blinds shut I don't think it was exceptionally worse than solid roof cars I have owned.  if you open the blinds and parking you are asking for a world of heat but they seem to act as reasonably good insulation. I admit it's a bit of a fad to me, I have opened the blinds a bit more now it is cooling off.

4.  did you buy the Tech Pack?

Yeah I did, wish it had adaptive cruise.

cheers!

I have a Fabia, with the 90PS 1.2 TSI engine, although it's a hatch. It's not quick, but it's not too slow either, although I would say that if it's fully loaded as an estate then it might struggle a bit. My parents have just got a Rapid SE Sport, with the 110PS 1.2 TSI engine. It's very, very similar to the Fabia, although as my Fabia is a basic SE model, it doesn't have as many gizmos as the Rapid does. The Panoramic roof is awesome, but of course, in an Australian summer, your opinion might differ! I've not driven it, but with the large 17" wheels it doesn't ride as well as my Fabia with its 15" wheels. There's definitely a lot more space in the back of the Rapid than the Fabia, but you say that's not much of an issue. 

If you guys got the 110PS engine in the Fabia with a manual, then I'd say go for that, but as it's only available with a DSG, I'm not so sure. Your best bet is to test drive both!

I have both the Spaceback and a Fabia II Combi.

i still think the Fabia Combi beats the Spaceback on these points:

Fabia has a higher, more comfortable riding position

Fabia Combi has a bigger and more practical boot

Fabia Combi has roof rails

However, the interior of the Fabia Combi we have rattles even more than the Rapid. 

Chris

Oh well...here goes...and please don't take offence! You say that you're retired and intend keeping the next purchase for 10+ years. I have the old Octavia estate as the workhorse (close on 200k miles and sweet as a nut) DSG!!!! Also the Rapid SE Sport 120ps ...DSG!!!! The Rapid will never be able to do everything that the Octavia does but it's close in comparison to what else was available at that price, quality, reliability, blah, blah. Dimensions are great( lots of rear leg room..if you don't need it then throw gear in there ). As a 'mature person', like myself, I suggest you seriously consider the Rapid AND/OR the DSG box! ;-)

On 18/04/2017 at 20:06, camelspyyder said:

Maybe not in GB, I mean there are only so many OAP who want a Rapid/Toledo here,

I'm 51 and have just ordered a Rapid Spaceback SE sport and I'm not some old 51 year old either, I also ride a 1000cc Motorbike and don't pussyfoot around. Some of us like the Rapid for it's mix of practicality and comfort while still being capable of delivering some reasonable fun at the same time. If I want real fun I'll get the bike out because I don't even get stuck in traffic on that. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

I'm 51 and have just ordered a Rapid Spaceback SE sport and I'm not some old 51 year old either, I also ride a 1000cc Motorbike and don't pussyfoot around. Some of us like the Rapid for it's mix of practicality and comfort while still being capable of delivering some reasonable fun at the same time. If I want real fun I'll get the bike out because I don't even get stuck in traffic on that. :biggrin:

I'm only quoting Car magazine who describe it as an "OAP special" and "One to Avoid".

Don't know what they're on about.  I bought mine 3 years back when I was 51 as well.

It's a cheap car. I accept its shortcomings because its cheap. I am considering a deal right now for a brand new Toledo Style Advanced for £13303. That's cheap.

Edited by camelspyyder