Tire sizes

Just got the Superb home. It's on winter tires (original 205/55r16), so I need to go shopping for summer tires soon. The roads here on Iceland can be very rough so low-profile is out of the question.

I was thinking of staying on 16" but changing to 215/55. Is that possible on the original rim?

Another possibility is to buy 17" but that will take a bit more persuasion of the wife. ;-)

1 hour ago, buddy said:

If you have 17s you will need to get 205/50/17 tyres that way it wont upset the speedo 

It would be ok to change a little. At the moment my speedo is showing 64 kmph when I'm driving 60 kmph (GPS).

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

I'll take a look at that page, thanks.

I did both, 17's for improved aesthetics and increased tyre profile for improved comfort and pothole protection...

IMG_8303_zps2kewzctg.jpg

Lots more pictures here...

Speedo now reads bang-on.

• Like 1

On 19-4-2017 at 22:23, Viperfreak said:

Just got the Superb home. It's on winter tires (original 205/55r16), so I need to go shopping for summer tires soon. The roads here on Iceland can be very rough so low-profile is out of the question.

I was thinking of staying on 16" but changing to 215/55. Is that possible on the original rim?

Another possibility is to buy 17" but that will take a bit more persuasion of the wife. ;-)

215/55R16 will be no problem. And since 225/50R17 fits (diameter 657mm), even 205/60R16 (652mm) could be an option.

6 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I did both, 17's for improved aesthetics and increased tyre profile for improved comfort and pothole protection...

IMG_8303_zps2kewzctg.jpg

Lots more pictures here...

Speedo now reads bang-on.

Looks very nice.

5 hours ago, andrehj said:

215/55R16 will be no problem. And since 225/50R17 fits (diameter 657mm), even 205/60R16 (652mm) could be an option.

I think I might have talked the wife into buying 17", we just have to find a set that she likes (and fits)......

• Like 1

On 19.4.2017 at 22:23, Viperfreak said:

Hi. I don' t quite understand. You say that the Icelandic roads are rough (obviously) and low profile is out of the question. And later you say 17" may be a solution. But 17" gives more low profiled tyres, the sidewall height will be lower. You take away 1" of rubber and add it to the rim, and we all know that the rim don't flex. Given that the total diameter is kept equal.

A wider tyre will also be "looser" on gravel than a narrower tyre. It will float ontop of the gravel giving less grip. It will also be more sensible to aquaplaning. Please note that all I am talking about here are within limited margins so we are not talking Arctic Trucks style...... Also The tyre pattern is an important aspect also. Grip, noise, wet road capabilities varies between brands.

So, I would say that rough road wheels will be with higher side walls, something like a 16" wheel with 205/60R16 tyre on is suitable. Then you have a narrow tyre with a good rubber height (1 cm higher than your winter tyres). This is my recommendation to you. A typical rim for this tyre is 6.5 to 7" wide.

If you like a little wider tyre set up for 16", then 215/55R16 is acceptable for you car (0.5 cm higher than your winter tyres). I would say a 7" wide rim for this wider tyre.

17" rough road wheels for your car will probably be 205/55R17. This tyre has the same side wall height as your winter tyre, but the total diameter is increased with 26 mm (but with a lower tyre profile).

Availability and prices for different combinations will vary and is something that you need to consider. 17" will naturally be more pricy, but it is always dependent of demand and stock.

I hope this made sence and was helpful.

• Like 1

That would be 1/2" you would take away between the road and the rim, the other 1/2" will be at the top.

Obviously if you increase the total circumference of the tyre on the 17" rim then it will be less than 1/2" less sidewall.

(then the scores on the doors, or Numbers on the sidewalls are not always an accurate indication of tyre size if you measure brand next to another brand.)

You can go XL tyre with the 17" as you can with a 16" tyre and have the reinforced sidewalls.

But if a choose a 225/50r17 then the sidewall should be the same height as a 205/55r16 right?

I don't drive on a lot of gravel road, but more roads with several small holes.

19 minutes ago, Viperfreak said:

But if a choose a 225/50r17 then the sidewall should be the same height as a 205/55r16 right?

I don't drive on a lot of gravel road, but more roads with several small holes.

Yes, 225/50R17 have the same side wall height as 205/55R16. The total wheel diameter will increase with 26 mm (4.1%), so the wheel will be 13 mm closer to the wheel arch, and the ride height will increase equally.

andrehj have tryed and confirms that 225/50R17 fits.

• Like 1

On 23-4-2017 at 19:55, fatzy said:

andrehj have tryed and confirms that 225/50R17 fits.

That is not completely correct. I have never tried 225/50R17 myself (I'm happy with 205/55R16), but have read from many people who have used this dimension successfully. Just make sure your ET is around 50.

Edited by andrehj

3 hours ago, andrehj said:

That is not completely correct. I have never tried 225/50R17 myself (I'm happy with 205/55R16), but have read from many people who have used this dimension successfully. Just make sure your ET is around 50.

Sorry about that, I was inaccurate. Thanks for the correction. Bottom line, 225/50R17 fits.

Thanks for the replies. I´ll try and look into it now. :-D

My wife saw has fallen in love with these rims:

http://eshop.skoda-auto.com/cz/en/b2c/alloy-wheel-–-savio-70j-x-17”-5ja071497c-zg6x

They are only 7" wide. Don´t I need a 7,5" for a 225 tire? And does the ET46 instead of 49 matter that much?