Replacing door lock module

h4mza

My driver side door lock is playing up and doesn't lock or unlock with fob so I have to use key manually. I was thinking whether a replacement door lock module from scrapyard would work or is there some sort of programming required?

Just fit a new lock, by the time you've done it you'll be glad you never have to do it again, which you will if you fit a second-hand unit since they're all failing due to age.

Ebay has them for about £20 delivered.

2 minutes ago, h4mza said:

Thanks for quick replies, so I just buy one of these and just fit it and it should work? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131139747603

Of course, if you fit it properly it'll just work. Wino just told you there's nothing else to do and you should believe him because he's right.

The two microswitches just above my index finger sense the key being twisted one way or t'other; the two in the middle of the pic feed back the motor's effect on the mechanism, and the one out of shot on the ends of the red and blue wires senses whether the door is open or closed.

20170319_130103.jpg

54 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Ebay has them for about £20 delivered.

That is a lottery because some of those cheap ones are shit.

Edited by TMB

It would be well worth the OP's while looking for broken wires in the door hinge area. If a motor wire were busted that might be all that's wrong?

Not 100% sure on that theory (jet lagged), but having a look is much easier than replacing the lock mechanism.

I tried unlocking my Polo with the key instead of the remote this morning, and I'm pretty sure I didn't hear any motor-running action, so I would re-iterate to @h4mza that a broken wire in the bunch going from A-pillar to door is well worth checking for, before buying anything from anywhere.  You may not have any problem with the lock module itself.

Edited by Wino