Coil Spring

Hi All, 

I had a coil spring replaced, car sits at the right height, however it does appear to have less of a gap above the shock absorber on the side with the new spring. I've done extensive research  and cannot work out if there is a "right way" up. I had a garage fit it for me but sourced the parts myself. The replacement is exactly the same as the one that came off the car, hence my confusion on why it sits in the strut different and concerned it is therefore the wrong way up. Have loaded pics. many thanks

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

It does look different in the photos at the base!  Maybe spring is sitting differently in the cup, so the newer one is not in exactly the same place in terms of where the coils start.  I'm not sure if the cup has a single point locator recess or not. Someone else may chip in.

Are both of those photos on the same side of the vehicle, the abs wiring looks to be on different sides??

Sorry for confusion, these pics are 2 different sides - new spring is the drivers side, other is passenger. 

Just popped in to a nationwide fast fit place and they had a quick look, 100% apparently it is on the right way up, as the larger coil part is at the bottom of the strut and smaller bit at the top. I don't actually think it is possible to have put it on the wrong way up as it wouldnt seat in the cup properly. 

Interesting. Maybe the spring is rotated slightly up to 180 degrees,  so the view is different, ie. if you could look from the innergaurd side (you can't) but it would of been the same as old?  Anyway, sounds like you are happy now.

Well, it looks like aftermarket spring, not OEM from VAG. I rather change such things always in pair on axle, even when I get the original part, the one which should stay on car has already not only few miles ...

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 16/02/2022 at 19:05, Carlston said:

The OP hasn't visited briskoda in the past two years, so you are unlikely to get an answer.

I'm glad you put that as I nearly got sucked in. Well spotted.

I was going to say the springs don't even look the same size............ width wise that is.