Experimental short shift

I'm in the process of making a short shift for my fabia vrs. I'm retaining the push down reverse and standard gear stick but am also making an extended stick depending on how short the throw ends up being. 

I've raised the shift point 25mm on the stick for the forward and back movement and extended it 25mm from the bottom for the left and right movement. It's still in the test stages at this point and  I'm probs going to need to modify the spring part which brings it back to the center position as it's sticking. I've not tried it on the car yet as it looks a bit of work to fit and a bit pointless until I can iron out the bugs on the bench.

20160907_173112.jpg

20160907_173148.jpg

16 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Careful you don't 'beat the 'box' with that bad boy.

I always look forward to your posts.....

It's an experimental project I'm doing in my spare time as there aint anything on the market I've seen to buy. I've seen plenty of threads asking about short shifts for the 6 speed box but no actual short shifts available so thought I'd make my own.

6 hours ago, daz_vrs said:

I always look forward to your posts.....

It's an experimental project I'm doing in my spare time as there aint anything on the market I've seen to buy. I've seen plenty of threads asking about short shifts for the 6 speed box but no actual short shifts available so thought I'd make my own.

I think it looks interesting, please keep us up to date.

5 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I think it looks interesting, please keep us up to date.

Yeah I second that,  been looking around myself and see there is one for the 5 speed.  

It's things you do yourself that are most rewarding. 

Let us know how go's it Daz ! 

Can't remember the car, but Wheeler Dealers cut the shift down on one ( I think sports car ) ,with Ed showing what's needed.

On 2017-5-1 at 11:06, mattievrs said:

Fiesta xr2 

Funny enough I was watching that just the other day - if you search for wheeler dealers xr2 on YouTube you'll probably turn up a dodgy copy. Not sure it's much use for this project though, the XR2 design is quite a bit different. He does give a good explanation of the principles behind what you're trying to achieve, but reckon the OP has that covered :)