New Dash Cam Install and the dreaded DAB

Had my Thinkware Front and Rear cameras installed last week and despite me asking the installer about the DAB intereference some of these can cause, I now have the DAB problem. Sometimes it can be fine for ages then it cuts out completely and doesn't come back or switch to FM. He ran the wire to the rear camera through the passenger side above the doors. The cable does have some kind of supressor on it but it obviously doesn't make any difference. The DAB also seems to be worse when my stop start kicks in (I have a cellink battery hardwired to the car battery via the fuse box and dashcam attached to the cellink).

Is it worth me phoning the installers up since it is something I did ask about prior to installation or is there nothing that can be done and I will just have to stream my music from now on.

Thanks 

RF interference from dashcam power adapter, usually caused by a cheap one off ebay/amazon.

Had the same in my last Volvo, only effected Radio 2 in the part of Northamptonshire I live. Didn't realise till I fitted the same adapter in my Skoda and DAB stopped working.

Fitted a good quality one, all ok now.

Just now, Q102 said:

RF interference from dashcam power adapter, usually caused by a cheap one off ebay/amazon.

Had the same in my last Volvo, only effected Radio 2 in the part of Northamptonshire I live. Didn't realise till I fitted the same adapter in my Skoda and DAB stopped working.

Fitted a good quality one, all ok now.

Thanks for the reply. Mine all are genuine cables that came with my thinkware and cellink. Nothing off ebay.

I'm sure I read that the DAB cables run down the passenger side roof? 

Mine me run down the drivers side, but straight to the fuse board (no power adapter) and I do not get any interference. 

7 minutes ago, Gizmo68 said:

I'm sure I read that the DAB cables run down the passenger side roof? 

Mine me run down the drivers side, but straight to the fuse board (no power adapter) and I do not get any interference. 

Hi. Thanks. Well looks like I'm stuck with it then. :-( don't fancy ripping them all out again. 

Edited by tigermad

I installed a Thinkware F770 two camera system, Thinkware Hardwire Installation Cable, no cellink, to my car back in July 2016. Wiring to rear camera down nearside under roof lining, further inboard to ensure no problems with nearside airbags.

DAB system operating ok, but on three ocassions over the past 9 months the DAB has stopped working.... no sound. But I can manually switch to FM which operates ok. Switching back to DAB still has the same problem. Found the only way to cure is to switch off/ lockup car, or switch to another source say TV or maybe SD card and then return to DAB.

This failure always seems to have happened when driving in a reasonable DAB reception area. Have put it down to some software bug in the DAB system.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DCC
Typo

Spoke to the company that supplied/installed the dashcam and they have no clue how to fix it :-(

Is it worth pulling all the wires out and trying to route them down the driver side instead?

Is does seem to happen in the same places every day on way to work. Most of the journey its fine but always cuts off at same places near work.

Edited by tigermad

2 hours ago, tigermad said:

Spoke to the company that supplied/installed the dashcam and they have no clue how to fix it :-(

Is it worth pulling all the wires out and trying to route them down the driver side instead?

Is does seem to happen in the same places every day on way to work. Most of the journey its fine but always cuts off at same places near work.

First thing would be to disconnect the power source and see if DAB is restored.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickTT said:

First thing would be to disconnect the power source and see if DAB is restored.

Hello. Powered off the dashcam and the signal came back straight away. :-( 

• Like 1

Just now, tigermad said:

I guess I can pull out the rear camera connector and see if it the rear one causing it. 

Yup - Then at least you know for sure its the rear one causing the issue.

Yup - Then at least you know for sure its the rear one causing the issue.

Then if it is don't know how to solve it. Didnt want to pull all that wire out when I have paid someone to install it. I would if I knew what I was doing. 

10 minutes ago, tigermad said:

Then if it is don't know how to solve it. Didnt want to pull all that wire out when I have paid someone to install it. I would if I knew what I was doing. 

Did you purchase the camera and install as a package?

I would be going back to the person who fitted asking them to refit it with the wires running down the other side at their cost or at least at a price you both agree.   If anything, the installer will save time long term knowing this for future installs.

Just now, RickTT said:

Did you purchase the camera and install as a package?

I would be going back to the person who fitted asking them to refit it with the wires running down the other side at their cost or at least at a price you both agree.   If anything, the installer will save time long term knowing this for future installs.

Thanks but this won't guarantee it will work after will it? That's the problem.  I emailed them earlier and suggested the same thing that maybe it could be moved to the drivers side. 

10 minutes ago, tigermad said:

Thanks but this won't guarantee it will work after will it? That's the problem.  I emailed them earlier and suggested the same thing that maybe it could be moved to the drivers side. 

Depends on the proximity of the power cable / data cable to the DAB line causing the interference.

One other option... how does the front camera connect to the rear ? is it Micro usb to USB or similar ?  if so, you could purchase a new cable and tac it to the right hand side of the car roof ling and see if the problem is present.. then tac it to the left and see if the problem returns..  (Try a cheap ebay cable in the first instance maybe)

This will then give you the confidence to move the cable...

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

Depends on the proximity of the power cable / data cable to the DAB line causing the interference.

On other option... how does the front camera connect to the rear ? is Micro usb to USB or similar ?  if so, you could purchase a new cable and tac it to the right hand side of the car rooflinig and see if the problem is present.. then tac it to the left and see if the problem returns..

This will then give you the confidence to move the cable...

What a fab idea! Thanks. 

• Like 1

I presume you didn't have this issue with the dab before the install? Mines been crap since I picked it up, some times it works for a few weeks and then it plays up for a few days. If you hold in the volume/power button eventually it reboots the system (takes a good 10-15 seconds of holding) and as if by magic it starts to work again. 

Edited by jamiemad

Well pulled usb cable of the rear camera this morning and dab still stopped at car park near work. Its weird because it always happens when I put the car in reverse when parking. So it may be the front camera or cellink causing it. I will switch the camera off next time before i get to the area and see what happens then. Maybe it is just a dab radio problem after all. But why would it have come back on when I turned powered the camera off?

1 minute ago, Gizmo68 said:

Do you know what fuse they took the power feed from? 

Hello. I asked them to use the blind spot one. I showed it to him. No. 48

Edited by tigermad

So. Just tested by plugging various cables out and it is the rear camera. So will try the trick of buying another lead and temporary routing it on other side. 

It is highly likely to be the power supplies themselves rather than the wiring. Many of the more cheaply made ones, including those supplied with the dashcam, use rapid electronic switching to reduce the 12v to 5v. This switching generates rf radiation that can swamp the very weak DAB signals. A better made power supply will not generate this rf noise. I have found that the best power supplies to use are genuine TomTom ones as they are very clean.

• Like 1

Just now, Paulius55 said:

It is highly likely to be the power supplies themselves rather than the wiring. Many of the more cheaply made ones, including those supplied with the dashcam, use rapid electronic switching to reduce the 12v to 5v. This switching generates rf radiation that can swamp the very weak DAB signals. A better made power supply will not generate this rf noise. I have found that the best power supplies to use are genuine TomTom ones as they are very clean.

Hi just the power lead plugged in linking the Cellink works fine. As soon as I push in or even try to push in the rear USB cable the interference starts 

It could still be the power supply, using the cable as an aerial. The easiest way to check is to find somebody with a TomTom satnav and borrow their power supply. I have just noticed that you are in Bedfordshire, I live 100 metres from Bedfordshire (near Wymington) although many miles away from Luton! If my power supply was not hard-wired in you could have borrowed mine.

Edited by Paulius55
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paulius55 said:

It could still be the power supply, using the cable as an aerial. The easiest way to check is to find somebody with a TomTom satnav and borrow their power supply. I have just noticed that you are in Bedfordshire, I live 100 metres from Bedfordshire (near Wymington) although many miles away from Luton! If my power supply was not hard-wired in you could have borrowed mine.

My power supply is hard wired too I'm afraid. Thinkware is hard wired to my Cellink battery and the Cellink is hard wired to my car battery fuse box.