DSG Failure

The time arrived for my first outing with new superb factory fitted towbar.  Towing a Swift major 4 SB.  Disaster 60 miles after a very good tow the DSG box failed.  After being towing off motorway and back to dealers 3 weeks later replacement box authorised, supplied by factory, and fitted by Skoda "Telfords" Carlisle.  My question which I have asked customer services is could the warranty be extended on car/box.  Failure of DSG happened 16 months into 3 year warranty.  Anybody suffered similar failure? Do you think it was reasonable asking for warranty extension?

Hi Raybower, obviously sorry to hear you've had this problem and the inconvenience it must have caused. When you say it 'failed', what exactly happened and has the dealer told you what was wrong with the box?

Cheers,

Terry

1 hour ago, raybower said:

The time arrived for my first outing with new superb factory fitted towbar.  Towing a Swift major 4 SB.  Disaster 60 miles after a very good tow the DSG box failed.  After being towing off motorway and back to dealers 3 weeks later replacement box authorised, supplied by factory, and fitted by Skoda "Telfords" Carlisle.  My question which I have asked customer services is could the warranty be extended on car/box.  Failure of DSG happened 16 months into 3 year warranty.  Anybody suffered similar failure? Do you think it was reasonable asking for warranty extension?

Personally - yes, entirely reasonable. Such a fundamental failure is totally unacceptable.

Legally - they will probably have a wriggle out clause, or just say no.

• Like 1

I did a lot of reading up on these gearboxes before I took the plunge and, whilst I did come across a few issues (mainly on earlier versions), I didn't see anything like the failure you've suffered. Generally, the 6 speed wet clutch came out as the most robust and reliable.

Whilst you've not given the mileage, to suffer such a serious fault on a car so young, I think they 'should' offer you an extended warranty on the box as a goodwill gesture. You could also argue inconvenience, spoilt holiday, etc. However, unfortunately, I think you will find that because you've made no contribution towards the cost of the repair (I assume it's been done 100% under warranty), you will only be covered to the expiry of the original warranty period.

I would be very interested to hear how you get on, please can you give us an update once you get a response from Customer Services.  

• 4 weeks later...

HI,  After many conversations with Customer Services the new DSG box warranty could not be extended.  However because of the breakdown circumstances they have offered (and I accepted) a free next service.  I must say that the new box appears to be a lot smoother.  Must have been a breakdown waiting to happen.

I look forward to next outing with caravan and the factory fitted tow bar.

• Like 2

Hi raybower, thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it sorted and that you're happy with the new box, just a shame it had to happen in the first place. Whilst you didn't get the extended warranty, a free service isn't a bad result...

I have to agree with Superb170, I think you've been very unlucky.

Terry

Skoda UK Customer Services Communications Managers are very good at saying that the Warranty on the DSG can not be extended beyond the 3 years Manufacturers Warranty on the car.

Not actually true though because they have 'Had to extend' them at times where they are not wanting adverse publicity like court actions.

Anyway it is a pity you never paid £10 towards the cost of the replacement DSG and then you would of had 2 years warranty on it.

Best pay for a 'Skoda Warranty' now when your car is 3 years old.