SELF SERVICING

Now the warranty is up it's time to settle back into servicing the car myself (or at least, the simple things!)

But knowledge is needed, initially for oil changes.

No problem knowing which oil, but - drain plug torque anyone?

And before I remove the thing, what does it look like (not as daft a question as you might think, I've had steel plugs in steel sumps, steel plugs in alloy sumps, alloy plugs in alloy sumps, some with copper washers, some with crushable copper washers, some with steel washers - and even one for a Vauxhall engine with a large flange concealing a rubber "o" ring that you simply didn't tighten up much at all!)

And is there 'owt I should know e.g removing bits of bodywork/undertray etc needed to get at sump/oil filter?

Car is a 2014 1.6 tdi 90

Given the warranty is due to expire on my Yeti I've just elected to go back to servicing the car myself and have found one of these makes the oil change very straightforward:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/pela-6000-6l-oil-fluid-extractor/

I purchased the oil and filter from my local main dealer.

The warranty expires on my Rapid towards the end of this year and an oil change (with the Pela) looks simple, given the readily accessible oil filter ( on the 1.2 TSi).

Health and Safety now has professional removing oil through the dip stick tube where there is one at near operating temperature, 

then removing the sump plug and draining any more oil and then fitting a new sump plug.

No issues with that.

Drain off or suction off engine oil.doc

Edited by Awayoffski

On 30/4/2017 at 16:33, RMurphy195 said:

Now the warranty is up it's time to settle back into servicing the car myself (or at least, the simple things!)

But knowledge is needed, initially for oil changes.

No problem knowing which oil, but - drain plug torque anyone?

And before I remove the thing, what does it look like (not as daft a question as you might think, I've had steel plugs in steel sumps, steel plugs in alloy sumps, alloy plugs in alloy sumps, some with copper washers, some with crushable copper washers, some with steel washers - and even one for a Vauxhall engine with a large flange concealing a rubber "o" ring that you simply didn't tighten up much at all!)

And is there 'owt I should know e.g removing bits of bodywork/undertray etc needed to get at sump/oil filter?

Car is a 2014 1.6 tdi 90

a) to remove the oil filter first unscrew the holder of a solenoid valve which is directly above the filter and set it aside, along with a hose that gets in the way. Then you can slacken and remove the oil filter. You screw it back with 25 Nm of torque.

b ) then remove the noise insulation from underneath - you need to unscrew 6 screws. Tighen back with 2 Nm.

For the sump plug see the word file attached above.

• Like 1

I purchased this filter removal tool for my Rapid TSI:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-SPECIAL-TOOL-OIL-FILTER-REMOVAL-REMOVER-3417/321973001525?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3Dcd0cd56998be4435a8497f63c471fa2b%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D380941998428

It made removing the filter so easy, but more importantly it allowed me to tighten it with a torque wrench on re-assembly and have confidence it was tight but not overtightened.  You may wish to check an engine code compatibility list to make sure it will fit your engine's filter before ordering.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Saffron and eyegr.

Haven't seen the Skoda oil filter yet, so might need the tool (previous Golf and Polo had oil filters with a raised hex bit that allowed me to use a torque wrench, with just enough clearance!)

eyegr - couldn't find the word file in your post - am I looking in the right place?

EDIT - just realised it's in awayoffski's post!

Edited by RMurphy195

I'm thinking of doing my own servicing on the Toledo.

So at 12000 miles (I don't get out much:biggrin:) and 3 years old what would SEAT/Skoda do for a 3rd service at that mileage?

I had the Toledo serviced at a Skoda dealer for it's 1st service, it's just an oil change and check (I had all this with the previous Citigo from new)

For the 2nd service I had my local garage service it, again it was much the same as the first but they did strip/check/clean the brakes (obviously wheels off) I think that would have been more than Skoda/Seat would have done??

Another question, if self servicing, what about the resetting the service indicator? I used to do it myself on a Vauxhall, what about the SEAT and if it's not reset what happens?

Thanks

If you don't reset the service indicator I don't believe anything happens other than having to put up with the reminder message and ping every time you start the car.  When I tried with VCDS approx 2 years ago I found it did not completely resest the warning but following other posts the following worked on my late 2013, model year 2014 Rapid.

Resetting service interval display

Switch off the ignition.

Switch on the hazard warning lights.

Press and hold the 0.0 / trip reset button (6 in the user manual).

Switch the ignition on again.

Release the 0.0 / trip reset button.

Confirm the reset by pressing the multifunction steering wheel right hand confirmation wheel (D in the user manual).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this thread up again, I tried the above^^^and all it's done is reset the service interval to say "Inspection" 18500 miles/365days. It's still saying "Oil change now" on the display when I first turn the ignition.

I haven't changed the oil yet, might even get the same garage to do a service that did it last year.

Seems a bit OTT to me anyway doing another oil change, it's now on 12700 miles in over 3 years. :biggrin:

^^^ Yes I can do that and that's what has happened with the reset sequence above.

Trouble is it's still saying "change oil now" on start up, I want rid of that.

35 minutes ago, MickA said:

^^^ Yes I can do that and that's what has happened with the reset sequence above.

Trouble is it's still saying "change oil now" on start up, I want rid of that.

Strange so, maybe a sensor dirty or something, as when I change my oil/filter I just reset it on the MFD and it then stays off for another 15k km

I've not changed the oil yet, thought I'd reset the MFD first.

Daft question time..... never done an oil change on these, would there be a sensor somewhere located at the filter, so it knows the filter has been off/refitted.

I seem to remember reading about being careful reseating the new filter somewhere due to a valve/pickup tube or similar.

1 hour ago, MickA said:

I've not changed the oil yet, thought I'd reset the MFD first.

Daft question time..... never done an oil change on these, would there be a sensor somewhere located at the filter, so it knows the filter has been off/refitted.

I seem to remember reading about being careful reseating the new filter somewhere due to a valve/pickup tube or similar.

There is definitely a sensor in there as it can tell what Temp the oil is at, so I'd say you will be ok once you do change the oil.

The area around the filter you have to be careful as there are other pipes etc there.

2 hours ago, techie said:

There is definitely a sensor in there as it can tell what Temp the oil is at, so I'd say you will be ok once you do change the oil.

The area around the filter you have to be careful as there are other pipes etc there.

Thanks for your help on this, I'll just go ahead and change the oil and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

Having just completed another service I discovered the wrinkle in the resetting procedure. If you follow as described above the service indication is reset. However if you do the same with the hazard lights off the oil is reset.  So, the hazards are the way of specifying which you wish to reset.

• Like 1

^^^ Thanks for that, I'll know for next time.

Wish I'd known about this only yesterday, I took it in to my local garage for a service in the end so they reset it for me.

On 05/05/2017 at 22:40, SaffronSkoda said:

If you don't reset the service indicator I don't believe anything happens other than having to put up with the reminder message and ping every time you start the car.  When I tried with VCDS approx 2 years ago I found it did not completely resest the warning but following other posts the following worked on my late 2013, model year 2014 Rapid.

Resetting service interval display

Switch off the ignition.

Switch on the hazard warning lights.

Press and hold the 0.0 / trip reset button (6 in the user manual).

Switch the ignition on again.

Release the 0.0 / trip reset button.

Confirm the reset by pressing the multifunction steering wheel right hand confirmation wheel (D in the user manual).

Be aware that, according to the service manual(just downloaded from Erwin), if you have the variable service interval set up for your car this procedure will "convert" to fixed-interval servicing, and you cannot revert back to variable servicing! Not that this matters to us DIY lot I would think.