vRS hunting, couple of quick questions

I'm currently keeping my eye out for a low mileage Blackline vRS Diesel however I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone could clear up for me.

Do these have Isofix points in the back for the kiddos seat and am I correct in saying there are different Diesel engines in this model that I need to keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, Isofix is standard on the rear seats in the vRS hatchback and estate.

There are two diesel engines, the PD170 (2006 > 2008) and CR170 (Common Rail) from 2008 onwards.

As a result the Blackline will have Isofix and the better CR170 engine.

But no xenon headlights unfortunately.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Yes, the CR is the engine of choice, the older PD engine did not get on well with its DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and as a result has a pretty poor reputation for reliability.

There is a visual indicator on the engine cover too...

PDvsCR.jpg

• Like 1

The key to long time reliability is regular fresh oil.

There are two servicing options:

Fixed: 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever is reached first.

Variable / Long Life: Up to 24 months or 2 years, the car decides for itself when it needs fresh oil.

Fresh oil is the lifeblood of any engine or turbo, if possible find one that has been on the fixed regime. This means that at 40,000 miles it'll be on it's fourth oil change. A car on variable could only just be ready for it's third service.

Unfortunately it probably also means that it might still be on the original air, pollen and fuel filter. These are mileage and age related. Whilst often stipulated to be change before 60,000 miles they are also needed around the 3 year mark so all Blacklines should be old enough to have had them by now.

Either way get them all done as soon as you buy one.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Very comprehensive reply, thanks for that!

I don't suppose these have a USB port/aux socket at all?

I'll be looking around June due to other commitments however after an initial look to gauge prices etc I've seen some really nice ones although I would have to travel.

The Blackline came with the Amundsen+ head unit which has Bluetooth. This isn't enabled as standard but can be done quickly and easily. You need to install the mic (10 minutes max) and then get someone with VCDS to put a tick in the box to enable it. There are numerous threads on how to do it on here. 

Edited by Metblackrat

8 hours ago, CookieMonster87 said:

Aux slot, just come across it.

Not having a USB port wouldn't really affect me, I can always get a car charger and Fords SYNC always played up anyway so put me off.

FWIW I've just picked up a blackline diesel after hunting for ages too, and I absolutely love it so far. There are enough tidy little dual 12v chargers out there for the lack of USB ports not to be an issue. There is also a 12v in the boot which I've got a USB cable coming neatly through for rear passengers to use :biggrin: Oh and mine already had the Bluetooth including the Mic all setup, which was a bonus, so you might get lucky too! Happy hunting! 

21 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Yes, Isofix is standard on the rear seats in the vRS hatchback and estate.

There are two diesel engines, the PD170 (2006 > 2008) and CR170 (Common Rail) from 2008 onwards.

As a result the Blackline will have Isofix and the better CR170 engine.

But no xenon headlights unfortunately.

Why wont it have xenons?

My vrs cr diesel has

25 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The Blackline was a limited run 'Special Edition'.

Xenon headlights were not fitted to the Blackline as standard.

They were not fitted as standard to any mk2fl but are an option.

I know this as mine has them.

20170302_083551_zpsqdtuaajq.jpg

Edited by tubbytommy

Yep, xenon's are a cost option across all MkII Octavia's (pre-FL and FL), excluding the L&K where they are standard (excluding the very early L&K's around 2006).

However the Blackline never had them as it wasn't possible to spec them as they were all pre-built to a set specification.

20 minutes ago, CookieMonster87 said:

@Marc9987

Glad to hear you like it. You weren't put off at all by the fact it was a diesel with the potential for changes ahead?

Crossed my mind but went no further... only time will tell what actions are actually taken and how long it'll take!