Inspection Service

I've had an 'Inspection In 30 days' flag come up on my Maxidot, this morning.

I bought my Car on 4/11/2016 - The car was first registered in August 2016 and during the first 15 Months of its life the car did a gob smacking 4139 miles! When I bought the car, I got a bit of paper saying it underwent a Flexible Oil Change Service on 20/09/2016. 

Since I bought the Car, I've done 7800 miles and it's sitting at 11900, so I was a bit surprised that the reminder has come up so early (2200 miles short of 10k)

I called my dealer and firstly the guy I spoke with told me the car was due a Major Service at a Cost of £269. I queried as to why this was due so far short of the 20K Mark and 2 Years. He checked this and came back advising in fact, the service due was an oil and filter change, 'inspection' and Pollen filter change at £184.82. He couldn't explain why the indicator has come up now and suggested it was because I do a lot of short journey's (I don't) 

My confidence with this dealer isn't great and before I book anything in I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm or deny if the 'inspection' service at £185 is a reasonable cost and perhaps shed some light on why the indicator has come up still with 2200 miles before the 10K mark (appreciate that over the next Month I will probably do another 1200 miles, so it might just be a conservative reminder.

7 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Ta, so I take it the £184.82 is my Dealer trying to maximise their income?

EDIT: Also, as I haven't actually done 10K miles since the last service (7 Months ago) Anyone know the possible implications of holding on for an extra Month until I've reached the 10K mark? (It's not a biggy, but if the indicator is going to come on early every time, it has an impact over a few Years)

Edited by Isocrem

Just spoken again with dealer and they stated the £149 is for cars over 3 Years of age. It does actually state this in the small print, but the Lady I spoke with couldn't confirm why it was more expensive and what I got for my extra £25, or why the £269 for a Major service I was originally quoted was the same as the Fixed Price, but not the Minor Service charge. 

38 minutes ago, Isocrem said:

Ta, so I take it the £184.82 is my Dealer trying to maximise their income?

EDIT: Also, as I haven't actually done 10K miles since the last service (7 Months ago) Anyone know the possible implications of holding on for an extra Month until I've reached the 10K mark? (It's not a biggy, but if the indicator is going to come on early every time, it has an impact over a few Years)

I believe the indicator always comes on 1k early, to allow you sufficient time to arrange for it to be booked in and done. Should be able to time it close to 10k if your weekly mileage is reasonably consistent.

The price for servicing seems not to reflect the work done but what the dealer can screw out of you. My sister in-law- bought a new Fabia and she drives 2000 miles per year. She had her first oil change at 2000 miles and a minor service at 4000 miles so at 6000 it will have a major service with plugs replaced and all of the filters.

Called up Meadens of Sway and they quoted £149 immediately. No question about the car being under 3 years. A bit more in fuel costs, but I've had enough of Winchester Skoda, so prepared to give them a go.

You beat me to it but my advice was to be to find a better dealer. There are plenty of franchised Skoda main dealers that will honour the fixed price servicing on cars less than three years old.

The £185 you were quoted was the £149 service plus the extra cost of the pollen filter. Checking Auric's link above you'll notice the pollen filter is included in the £149 fixed price service "if required", which according to the dealer it is.

Vote with your feet, but be sure to feed back to the original dealer to let them know you've taken your business elsewhere and why.

Should your opening post state that the car was registered in August 2015? You mention the car covered 4,139 miles in it's first 15 months before you bought it in November 2016.

The old invoice states 'flexible service', this reads to me that it was set to the variable or long life service schedule from new (I wish Skoda dealers would use consistent terminology for their service regimes!), which given the original owners annual mileage was not the correct choice. It is however likely that the short journey's prompted the cars premature first service.

Fixed = 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first.

Variable = Up to 20,000 miles or 24 months, the car decides for itself depending on the number of cold starts, journey times, engine loads etc.

Given your annual mileage (approx 16,000 miles?) then variable would work for you, however if the car is privately owned and is a 'keeper' I'd recommend running it to the fixed interval. Fresh oil is the lifeblood of any engine and turbo.

5 hours ago, Isocrem said:

Called up Meadens of Sway and they quoted £149 immediately. No question about the car being under 3 years. A bit more in fuel costs, but I've had enough of Winchester Skoda, so prepared to give them a go.

Mine's going to Meaden's Brockenhurst (Sway is only a showroom now) on the 11th for it's first service. Maxidot says "Oil service in XX days" Car is on fixed service, or a least that is what I requested at purchase although the service book says variable. Whatever the car says it's getting fixed period servicing.

Edited by YMe

Without wanting to hijack the thread....what is the difference between the Oil Service and Inspection services? Are they almost like Minor and Major under the fixed routine? I'm on variable and my oil service is due in 4600 miles, but the Inspection is 11500 away. That would make the inspection due only 7k after the oil change?!