Tyres for Mk3

Have had both Energy Saver and Dunlup Blu Response on our Octys and they are more noisy than Efficientgrip Performance that we change to later.

(Blu Response was more noisy than Energy Saver)

• Like 2

I have CrossClimates on at the moment, and I second themanwithnoaim's comments about them being progressive. They're easily the most progressive tyre I've ever had. I think they're also a good bit quieter than the Michelin Primacy HP that came off, although any comparison that can't be done side by side and requires the use of my memory is to be considered unreliable! Considering the tread pattern and the claimed winter performance though I'd have to say the noise level is impressively low.

I had some issues initially where I thought that in mildly cold, mildly damp conditions (say 5-7°C with a morning dew) there was a lack of overall grip compared to the Primacy HP, but they've been fine of late, so it may just have been that they needed time to settle in. Right now I'd say they are a perfectly decent summer tyre, and I'll make my overall judgement next winter when it gets cold again and they're part worn.

I paid £440 for mine fitted (225/45R17), the price does seem to fluctuate a bit but anything under £400 has to be considered a good price.

1 hour ago, nidza said:

We have EfficientGrip on all our company cars, this is fine tire.

Energy saver was quite a noisy tire as I recall.

thx,I realise that noisy as I currently got 2 old energy saver on front .

So i will just get Efficient grip then.

11 minutes ago, timxue said:

thx,I realise that noisy as I currently got 2 old energy saver on front .

So i will just get Efficient grip then.

Efficient Grip is a very good tyre and despite it's eco-vegan name it performs pretty well IME - I had them fitted on all four corners of my remapped Leon FR and they were a revelation.  Actually preferred them to the GY Eagle F1's GSD's, which I fitted shortly before selling the Leon.  

Edited by penguin17

15 hours ago, dale1uk said:

You got a link? Showing as £100 each plus fitting for me? 

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/michelin-22545-r17-94-w-crossclimate-mi-xl-786593?warehouse=109

Thats Costco online, give your local store a call, mine Farnborough was showing that price last Wednesday

3 hours ago, timxue said:

I am thinking get michelin energy saver/primacy 3 or Goodyear efficient grip ,but someone complain goodyear one with thiner sidewall...

Primacy 3 last forever well, I got 17k outta them so, a good 25-30k for normal use

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geek42 said:

I had some issues initially where I thought that in mildly cold, mildly damp conditions (say 5-7°C with a morning dew) there was a lack of overall grip compared to the Primacy HP, but they've been fine of late, so it may just have been that they needed time to settle in.

Summer rubber compound with a SNOW tread pattern, wouldn't put them on a car with more than 220-230bhp depends how much fun you have driving really

20 hours ago, Stewart7 said:

When you've decided, checkout Blackcircles.com for purchasing and fitting.  I've used them for years now.  You buy the tyres from them and then choose from their website, where to have them fitted.  It works great.

They seem very reasonable price wise. However, I always need the tracking doing whichever pair I change....potholes and speed bumps..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisHooligan said:

They seem very reasonable price wise. However, I always need the tracking doing whichever pair I change....potholes and speed bumps..

I forgot to add that their prices include new valves and balancing.

Do you let the garage decide if you need tracking adjusted or do you base it on the tyre wear and handling?

2 minutes ago, Stewart7 said:

I forgot to add that their prices include new valves and balancing.

Do you let the garage decide if you need tracking adjusted or do you base it on the tyre wear and handling?

I generally look at the wear and handling. It's noticeable more these days. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisHooligan said:

I generally look at the wear and handling. It's noticeable more these days. 

Good Man

This is for my own info so I don't forget....

Rear passenger-side tyre:

Michelin Primacy HP. 

225/45R17. 91W (whatever 91W means). 

Good condition other than a nail in the tyre (can that get fixed without having to get a new tyre..) and slightly worn on outside edge - needing camber adjust? 

Front passenger-side tyre:

Rovelo RVX-988. 

225/45ZR17. 94W (so not 91W... hmmm??). XL (?).

Decent condition, slight wear on edge. 

Front driver-side:

Uniroyal Rainsport 2. 

225/45ZR17 XL. 

Tread down a touch, some wear on edge. 

Rear driver-side:

Winrun R330. 

225/45R17. 94W XL. (XL = ? )

Worn edge, lots of tread left. 

Bit of a mish-mash....!!

guitarman, the car has got to feel much better and be a lot safer with the same tyre all round!

I'd say a sound investment and the first thing I'd do.

Picking my new one up next week and I have one brand of tyre at the front and another, probably the originals, at the back.

The rear tyres are nearly worn (showing as an advisory on the MOT done at the end of April) and I plan to change all four quite quickly once I get the car. I'll probably keep one or both of the front tyres as spares.

Good luck with yours!

Cheers,

Dunc 

Such a bummer as the tyres are all different BUT in decent condition. 

Aha! So £100 off. Sorry for being a dunce but... what's the 4-tyre fitted price? I guess it means you can choose any goodyear tyre you want and get £100 off? How quick is it to become a member?