Mud Flap Fitting Guide

Mr Grump

Tools required : Dremel, 10mm spanner/socket, Torx Wrench/Bit, Pin Vice.

First of ... cutting a part of the plastic trim away (I really fail to see why Skoda could not have made the part the right shape in the first place, or moulded the mudflaps to suit).

FMF1_zpsmh4vtxfg.jpg

Then we remove the 2 torx screws in the wheel arch liner.

FMF3_zpseh913isi.jpg

Offer up the mudflap, making sure to push the tabs over the rail on the underside:

FMF2_zpsgigusuby.jpg

Then we can replace the screws with the ones provided and tighten these up:

FMF4_zps44y1hoit.jpg

Now the next part requires drilling a hole. The instructions say to use the push fit buttons included, but I used one of the torx screws I removed from the liner trim:

FMF5_zps5tuycnxg.jpg

And use the screw (or button if you prefer) and tighten:

FMF6_zpsbdbbwwqh.jpg

Then you can use the clamp provided to fix the flaps to the rail (a bit overkill I thought, already the flap is solid and not going anywere):

FMF7_zpsyzwza9tn.jpg

The rears are just a case of removing 4 torx screws from the liner, offering up mudflap and fixing with replacement torx screws.

And et viola !

FMF9_zpsex6zovnq.jpg

• Like 1

The fronts don't look as though they're going to offer much extra protection. They look good though.

All 4x4's should...

1) Have mudflaps

2) Have a towbar

3) Always be really dirty!

On 05/05/2017 at 12:12, Mr Grump said:

First of ... cutting a part of the plastic trim away (I really fail to see why Skoda could not have made the part the right shape in the first place, or moulded the mudflaps to suit).

FMF1_zpsmh4vtxfg.jpg

Are they taking the ****?

So to fit the OEM mudflaps you have to hack away at the car:x

On 6 May 2017 at 23:11, Bud said:

Are they taking the ****?

So to fit the OEM mudflaps you have to hack away at the car:x

So unbelievable it can't be true. I got the dealer to fit mine, but I've fitted several in the past and never had to cut the car to bits.

• 3 months later...

If any mods would care to update the OP (thanks photopmuppet !) it would be appreciated, if not, then the fixed images are here :)

27eM4kO.jpg

Then we remove the 2 torx screws in the wheel arch liner.

OUE3xf3.jpg

Offer up the mudflap, making sure to push the tabs over the rail on the underside:

dsH82Id.jpg

Then we can replace the screws with the ones provided and tighten these up:

vuer6nv.jpg

Now the next part requires drilling a hole. The instructions say to use the push fit buttons included, but I used one of the torx screws I removed from the liner trim:

0yJ8VsQ.jpg

And use the screw (or button if you prefer) and tighten:

Jytl66x.jpg

Then you can use the clamp provided to fix the flaps to the rail (a bit overkill I thought, already the flap is solid and not going anywere):

f2oY1D8.jpg

The rears are just a case of removing 4 torx screws from the liner, offering up mudflap and fixing with replacement torx screws.

• 1 month later...

Fitted my Genuine Skoda Mudflaps to my Kodiaq today and was genuinely disappointed by the complexity of fitment for the front pair.  The Rear were a doddle as has been previously stated but there was the "Simply Clever" element missing from the fitment design for the fronts.

My wife was appalled when she saw what I was doing and didn't believe that I was following the manufacturer's instructions and read them for herself.  She just couldn't believe that one had to cut a bit off an almost brand new motor car to fit one of it's accessories.

That said, this doesn't mean that it is a dealer job.  Anyone can do it and if you're prepared to take the wheels off then it truly is a job anyone could tackle.

Didn't say you had to take the wheels off!!  Just implied that it was easier if you did!

Why are people so hasty to criticise?  Don't often visit the site and remember why now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...

I was speaking to the dealer today whilst placing an order, I enquired about having the front mudflaps fitted by them as I didn't fancy cutting the car to bits myself.

He said the guy in the parts department mentioned orders for the front mudflaps were being put on hold as they're in the process of being redesigned.

No mention of working around having the cut the sills to get them to fit, the reason was that they were damaging the inner wheel arch liner, something about them becoming deformed over time? 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

None of the pictures are loading ... photobucket holding you to ransom.

edit - sorry didn’t get as far as second set

Edited by Sargan

I swapped out from PB after they: A went dog slow and full of ads, and B started wanting to charge for their poor service !

I reposted them on post #6

I use Imgur now, and that's what these are on.

Edited by Mr Grump

Was my fault ... after seeing all images on page 1 ... didn’t go further.

photobucket have signed their own death knell .... to go from zero to $90 is just stupid ... no one uses them now.

if they had made in $10 might have worked.

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Please let us know when they arrive or if your hear more, I'm in the same situation, waiting until the new redesigned ones arrive before ordering.

They should be arrive middle of april...we'll see and I'll let you know. Will take some pictures aswell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Presumably I should wait for the new mudflaps to arrive before complaining of the trim coming lose from where the dealer installed the front mudflaps?  It seems to be a common problem with the original mud flaps, which presumably the re-design will resolve.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 21:17, silver1011 said:

Yes, the loose trim is the reason for the redesign.

Which trim has actually come loose, and how is the mudflap causing it? Any pictures?

It's the side trim just next to the mud flap.  Others have taken them in to get the part replaced after having mud flaps fitted:

IMG_20180423_161725.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures Steve, its good to see what the issue is actually about!

It doesn't look as though the mudflap is touching that piece of trim in the picture. I'm guessing it is the way the mudflap is secured to the car underneath the sill that is causing the issue?

Mr Grump's pictures posted above suggested that some of the plastic wheel arch trim under the car needed to be cut away to get the mudflaps to fit. Was that the case with yours too?

Edited by silver1011