Looking at a 2012 Octy 1.4TSI...servicing question

Rjg

Hi all. Long time VW owner, possibly soon to be Skoda owner here. 

I've found a 1.4TSI Octavia estate that looks really smart. I missed it at auction (was on my watch list) and now it's popped up at a local dealer. 

It's currently on 105k, with FSH from Skoda. The only thing bothering me is there are no receipts for any other work. What sort of things are likely to catch me out at that sort of mileage?

I understand it's timing chain, so don't need to replace that. I've not driven it yet, so can't comment on condition of the clutch (but I figure at that mileage it could be on the cards) 

Last MOT had an advisory of slight oil leak to front of sump and some tyre wear, but nothing else. 

Thanks in advance. 

You need to listen to the timings chain/tensioner to ensure no rattling  - oil changes really important with these and earlier engines had problems

At tickover inside the car this engine should be near silent

Is it running smoothly on all four cylinders with no misfire. It should pull strongly from just over 1500rpm all the way thorough to 6000rpm

Check oil level and look on the back of the car for evidence of burning oil (Mine burns none at 43k)

Investigate the oil leak - if it is below the high level oil filter/alternator then I'd be concerned - the oil filters are easy to mis-fit damaging the oil non return/filter release valve

To investigate the clutch - drive at about 30mpg in 5th gear, slightly slip the clutch then simultaniously floor the throttle whilst releasing the clutch pedal  fully - Do the engine revs snap back into line(good) or do they hover a bit higher(bad)

If you find a good one these engines are lovely to drive with suprisingly strong performance and considering it drinks from the green pump great economy (see spritmonitor below)

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the post John :) I hesitated too long and this one sold!

May have just found a TSI vRS I can afford, though I'm a bit concerned by the amount of people reporting cam chain problems.