Suspension help rear overload questions.

I've been driving our 2012 Superb for a couple months now. And the rear end seems a bit saggy to me. When going over speed bumps w the windows down, I can hear a slight "swoosh" from the shocks. Don't really mean much in daily use but I do pull a trailer fairly often and I imagine it'll be quite noticeable with any weight on it. 

Any recomendations on what to do to help stiffen up the rear end? Maybe you guys with campers etc have some tricks. 

Thanks

Joe

I tow a lot.

And I change rear springs every year. Costs only about 200 euros at dealers.

Another option is to install rough road springs. They are stiffer and more robust.

• Like 1

It's completely normal for the shocks to make a hissing noise while they're working - it's easiest to hear with the window open and a wall beside the car to reflect the sound back to you. It's hard to hear from inside the car in most driving conditions with the windows shut.

Ride height and uncontrolled bouncing/fidgety handling are the symptoms to watch for if the spring/shock are failing. Also expect uneven tyre wear as the suspension will spend too much time sitting in the wrong place in it's travel. Fitting self levelling shocks such as Nivomat ones (available in the Superb III) and very possibly the Superb II if you find which VW model uses the same rear suspension system. They're not cheap though. If carrying heavy loads is a regular thing I'd also make sure I don't exceed the max axle loadings.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to hear that the hissing is normal. I really had thought that the shocks were needing replacing due to that noise. But it could also be that the rest of the car is so quiet that it's just more noticeable than the last many, noisier cars we've had. 

Ill measure the ride height out this weekend when on pavement. My driveway is small stones and the tires dig a bit down in them. 

Im curious about the stiffer springs. Don't want a huge install out of it. But w the wheels I'm running, and possibly heavier trailer loads, it is annoying to worry about tire rub. What about those spring inserts that can be installed between the coils on a spring?

thanks again 

Joe

Yep, hissing is normal.

Ask Skoda UK if they'll sell you the upgraded suspension set they sell to the emergency services, I'm sure they'll do one for the Superb too...

Skoda rapid response Eibach’s Blue Light suspension kit

http://www.skoda.co.uk/fleet/emergency-services

The Eibach’s Blue Light suspension kit is ideal for vehicles that carry heavy loads whilst providing comfort, yet still maintaining high-performance driving which we know you require. The suspension kit is specially designed with anti-roll bars, and front and rear road springs so you can feel confident to turn a corner at high speed. Ground clearance is improved which allows you to travel on rough and bumpy roads with ease too.

Better still, buy it direct from the manufacturer (Eibach)...

http://www.eibachshop.co.uk/

Be careful about the tyre pressures. When I tow I pump up rears to 3,2 bar (18" wheels).

I do not recommend the spring inserts. Makes ride very uncomfortable, plus chanche to ruin the whole suspension.

Check out the rough road packeage -or at least springs from that package - it`s Skoda`s official addon and could be retrofitted.

Ok I'll check that system out. I don't tow daily or anything. But I did buy this B so I can tow a small trailer without worrying about the load. I just moved about 15 boxes full of house stuff and the springs seemed fine. No actual rub from the tires on the fenders. Kinda surprised. 

Is it an an optical illusion and the rear tires appear to tilt inwards at the top (if looking straight on the rear of the car). I find it quite annoying (visually) actually. 

Joe

The lower the car sits on the rear suspension the more pronounced the rear camber will look.

Believe it or not some people go out of their way to create this look!

Image result for excessive rear camber

Some natural camber is normal, see the left hand side wheel on this BMW X5 (camber exagerated due to the increased width and height on this particular model)...

Image result for excessive rear camber

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1