felicia 1.3 thermostat

hi, i need to buy a new thermostat for my felicia 1.3 carb model and i already bought those "cheap chinese" thermostats already and they would stay open or closed and not seal correctly, im going to buy another thermostat like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190993575662?ul_noapp=true

i have been thought these are the proper type of thermostats.. rather than the type that clips on like the one in the picture. should i buy this part ? are they really better?

thanks, jon

Brand-new-coolant-flange-thermostat-for-SKODA-OCTAVIA-FABIA-047-121-111S-047121111P.jpg

OK, I'll answer what I can. I'm not sure I'd trust that seller, because (to this UK resident) his address looks very much like a private individual giving his main employer's address in a bid to look like he has an office/warehouse.

Yes, there are thermostats with "different" opening temperatures, most usually you might encounter a "Winter thermostat" which opens at a higher temperature to give faster warm up and more heat through the car heater in cold climates. You do not want one of those in Malta!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Felicia-I-II-1-2-1-3-40kW-54HP-New-Thermostat-Housing-Sensor-1994-2001-/181701590224?hash=item2a4e423cd0:g:DbQAAOSwpDdVFWCg

what do you think of this or should i spend a few more money for a genuine one? do i have to apply sealant to the housing that bolts to the cylinder head or the o ring will be sufficient for it to seal ?

@jonnycilia The maker's name "Topran" isn't familiar to me, but the box does look like an actual German one. Maybe ask the seller if the box has a "CE" logo on it? Most German goods do. However I note that they say "parts sold with warranty", so ask if the warranty is equal to VAG's own (12 months on part, labour and consequential damage from failure).

Also, I should have said rather than implied this, but a "Winter thermostat" is normally explicitly boxed and sold as such; the presumption should be that it's not a Winter thermostat.

2 hours ago, jonnycilia said:

Brand-new-coolant-flange-thermostat-for-SKODA-OCTAVIA-FABIA-047-121-111S-047121111P.jpg

This isn't a good model. The plastic that retain the metallic parts can broke after a few years.

Edited by nimbus

26 minutes ago, nimbus said:

This isn't a good model. The plastic that retain the metallic parts can broke after a few years.

Yeah youre right... But most thermostats that you find nowadays are that type. In malta thats the only model i found

53 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@jonnycilia The maker's name "Topran" isn't familiar to me, but the box does look like an actual German one. Maybe ask the seller if the box has a "CE" logo on it? Most German goods do. However I note that they say "parts sold with warranty", so ask if the warranty is equal to VAG's own (12 months on part, labour and consequential damage from failure).

Also, I should have said rather than implied this, but a "Winter thermostat" is normally explicitly boxed and sold as such; the presumption should be that it's not a Winter thermostat.

Thats what i thought.. i will ask him regarding temperature and ce label, thanks guys !

15 hours ago, jonnycilia said:

When im fitting the housing to the cylinder head, should i use sealant or the o ring will be sufficient for it to seal that area ?

I think o ring should be sufficient, but i'm not sure. I buyed a thermostat from Valeo and didn't get a o ring so i used blue silicone...

IMG_0572.JPG

I dont mean the part where the housing and thermostat come in contact i mean where the complete housing bolts to the cylinder head, there is supposed to be an o ring there aswell

I fitted a new genuine skoda housing and thermo to my 1998 1.3 Felicia  and only used the black O ring that it came with when bolting to cylinder head with no problems.

Edited by mikefelicia

2 hours ago, mikefelicia said:

I fitted a new genuine skoda housing and thermo to my 1998 1.3 Felicia  and only used the black O ring that it came with when bolting to cylinder head with no problems.

Great! Thanks mike :)

Edited by jonnycilia
Change