Service Plans

Car's coming up to 65k and I've booked it in at my local dealer as they've got a service plan offer on. Anyone got any experience of whether they're good value ? I don't have to sign up for it on the day if I decide I don't want it, hence the question....TIA

According to Skoda's fixed price servicing a fixed / annual service is £149. A variable service is £269.

Whats your annual mileage? Petrol or diesel? Your profile isn't giving much away!

If it's less than 10,000 miles then the service plan needs to work out at less than £150 / year to be worthwhile.

Be aware that the £269 variable service is largely a con, unless you can be sure you are getting everything on the list (oil, oil filter, pollen, fuel and air filter).

As your car is out of warranty I'd be tempted to shop around outside of Skoda's dealer network.

I did notice the last time my car was serviced at a dealers they put in long-life oil regardless of whether it was on a fixed or variable service schedule, i just changed mine back to variable in VCDS after :D

18 payments of £21 means the cost is spread. 

Brake fluid change included (£49). MOT included (£39). That means the two services cost £145 each which works out quite reasonable in my book. 

Ok, you might get a cheaper price at a local garage but at my main dealer they provide me with a courtesy car FOC, wash and Hoover it out if needs be and they always throw in a free bottle of screen wash. 

When they were launched, the service plan was a 2 year deal, which basically comprised  2 x MOTs, and 1x Major and 1x Minor Service for £349 upfront. Which was a saving of £100+. It had to be paid in advance. 

It was a reasonable saving if you liked using the Skoda dealer (and don't mind being locked in) for servicing and you were keeping the car >24 months and you could afford to pay for it Upfront. 

Not sure what the current pricing is, if this is what the OP is talking about, expect it has risen quite a bit but the saving probably similar.

I had one that was similar TheClient but the saving wasn't as large they did however provide a free car was for each of the 24 months. Problem with mine was the dealership was terrible and if I hadn't already paid in advance for the servicing I would have taken it anywhere but there. Getting washed was also nearly impossible as you could never get it booked in. 

If you're happy with dealership, the combined price is cheaper than Skoda's official service prices and you're keeping the car for that period go for it. Otherwise find a good independent. 

Thanks for the replies. Should have said, my mileage varies due to various contracts I get so could be based literally anywhere, the car's a 61 CR diesel that's had the water pump, cambelt and DSG oil change done so I can't think there's much more big stuff to fork out for, unless someone knows different....

Seems they have chopped and changed things as time has past.

Now the 2 year deal is £387 upfront (or 21.50 per month x 18). There is no mention of MOT in the summary page, video or plan comparison pages but I note previous poster indicating his paper on his plan includes 1.  

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance

On the face of it, not as attractive as it used to be. 1 minor + 1 major is now £418, so only a £30 saving, £70 if MOT is still included.

The other bit I hate is the included items changed "if required".

So pollen filter is only every 2 years if you look at some guidance, vRS plugs is 6 years / 60k miles, Air filter I think 4 years?. Brake fluid first 3 years? They could really deliver you less than 2 x minor services if they were being difficult.  I suppose the same opt out exists for their stand alone fixed servicing as well, where you may not get all you were expecting.  That said, I would hope most dealers do all the things mentioned.

Edited by TheClient

Surely you're better off just booking your car into a reputable garage for an oil and filter change....

I supply my garage with the parts and oil and even with an air filter change I'm charged £20 labour for the roughly 30 minutes it takes to do... It works out at about £60 all in and much less than the price of a dealers minor service which is nothing more than an oil and filter change ... Every 2nd oil change I stick in a new pollen filter myself which takes 10-15 minutes and £11 

Edited by labman1001

See if your Škoda dealer offers their own service plan.

http://www.parks.uk.com/featured/parks-economy-care/

I recently had the Gold Service carried out, and unlike A Škoda Approved service everything on the list was replaced. They even carried out software updates and I got A Škoda stamp in the book. I was assured all service parts used were as per Škoda service. (just not Škoda branded!).