Michaelski

Yes I got it through carwow. £100 deposit, 41 months at £117 and £3700 final payment = £8600. Plus I got a £500 fuel card so effectively it was £8100.

I could have had MY16 with only 100 miles for £7000 but that did not come with 0% finance or the free fuel card.

On 2017-5-19 at 13:41, Michaelski said:

Of course, I COULD always just hand the car back, & then try for another PCP on a Citigo - or perhaps VAG would see their own Arras & refuse me another PCP - can't really see why, as they're the ones who hold out this particular route as one of the 3 options, but who would ever know.

In the current financial climate i would recommend you don't VT your citigo.... i understand its a CCA term which allows you ...... but finance companies are now having it so often because people just want a quick way to change that they no doubt will interrogate any future applications.

Good luck

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Citigouk said:

but finance companies are now having it so often because people just want a quick way to change that they no doubt will interrogate any future applications.

Hi Citigouk, Point taken but I have to confess that I do not really understand the implications behind "interrogate any future applications"?  And precisely what does "interrogate" mean?

SURELY, being able to hand the car back (is that what you mean by "VT" (voluntary termination???) is one of the guaranteed options that is available to anyone & everyone taking on the completion of a PCP???     I can surely understand JUST WHY VAG or indeed ANY Financing Company don't turn handsprings of joy if someone simply throws the car back at them, because their options are mainly tuned towards people paying off the "Bubble" (very good for their balance sheet) or customers trading the car in & buying yet another of their offerings (an even better option from their point of view, as they flog yet another of their own cars). 

But "handing the car back" is an option, & if they don't like it, then tough - they should actively woo the customer into buying yet another of their vehicles.   I still have this gut feeling that with the new removal of zippo RFL for virtually all City cars,  they have lost much of their attractiveness.     Whilst a Citigo still suits down-sizing old fogies like the Old Memsahib & myself,  younger people with a small family & the need for a slightly larger car, may well be highly tempted to move up a size (or indeed two) & achieve more mpg by going down the diesel route? 

But one of the benefits of old age (& believe me, there aren't many) is that in general, the golden oldies/geriatric dropouts won't be browbeaten or bullied into simply being brainwashed into accepting something that we don't want - as Mr Skoda, Mrs Skoda (& all the little Skodas) may possibly discover when my PCP term is up.

There's plenty of other hungry manufacturers out there, and generally speaking, City cars are technologically advancing by leaps & bounds - or as Audi says, "Vorsprung durch bloody well having to".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michaelski said:

Hi Citigouk, Point taken but I have to confess that I do not really understand the implications behind "interrogate any future applications"?  And precisely what does "interrogate" mean?

SURELY, being able to hand the car back (is that what you mean by "VT" (voluntary termination???) is one of the guaranteed options that is available to anyone & everyone taking on the completion of a PCP???     I can surely understand JUST WHY VAG or indeed ANY Financing Company don't turn handsprings of joy if someone simply throws the car back at them, because their options are mainly tuned towards people paying off the "Bubble" (very good for their balance sheet) or customers trading the car in & buying yet another of their offerings (an even better option from their point of view, as they flog yet another of their own cars). 

But "handing the car back" is an option, & if they don't like it, then tough - they should actively woo the customer into buying yet another of their vehicles.   I still have this gut feeling that with the new removal of zippo RFL for virtually all City cars,  they have lost much of their attractiveness.     Whilst a Citigo still suits down-sizing old fogies like the Old Memsahib & myself,  younger people with a small family & the need for a slightly larger car, may well be highly tempted to move up a size (or indeed two) & achieve more mpg by going down the diesel route? 

But one of the benefits of old age (& believe me, there aren't many) is that in general, the golden oldies/geriatric dropouts won't be browbeaten or bullied into simply being brainwashed into accepting something that we don't want - as Mr Skoda, Mrs Skoda (& all the little Skodas) may possibly discover when my PCP term is up.

There's plenty of other hungry manufacturers out there, and generally speaking, City cars are technologically advancing by leaps & bounds - or as Audi says, "Vorsprung durch bloody well having to".

Essentially the interrogation is of your credit file on an application; underwriters look for trends (no matter how good your score may/may not be). So a vehicle which is VT'd by a user no doubt in the current climate will be seen unfavourably...... even if open to everyone in regulated hire agreement such as PCP.

I do alot of reading on economics and how the motor industry had changed is dynamics for customer procurement.

Traditionally the UK used to be outright purchase or Hire purchase commodity for new/used vehicles. To car makers and dealer outlets this isn't ideal as it provides you usually lumps of cash (at specific times) and not a steady sustainable income stream.....  to change this income flow we must thank the Americans for what we now call PCP.... so the income dynamics is on draw down of monthly payments from thousands of customer, thus providing a regular sustainable income flow avoiding the historic starvation and then feast.

So if you work on the above you need the car makers need metal out with a customer, not being returned, static metal will not provide the regular income.

How can you keep people in these cars? Negative equity is one way.... proposition the PCP so that once a consumer is in a vehicle that its difficult for them to make the change..... without spending more monies.

In my original reply I did also make note many PCP seem to have their final GFV/Balloon/Option to Buy (delete as appropriate) around the 50% mark after 3 years to again avoid VT oppo....

Unless 0% im very wary of PCP finance options.... 

Hi Citigouk, & thanks for that - it's always interesting to receive the views of another car buyer.

I take your comments about "interrogating my credit rating" on board, but I can't, in all honesty, say that the prospect concerns me unduly.

A PCP was mainly of interest to me because of my highly-advanced years & the fact that Mrs Michaelski no longer drives  - me working on the basis that sooner-or-later, I would be shuffling off this mortal coil, & she would simply then return the car as "unwanted, & do/say whatever the hell you like, as I'm supremely indifferent to your opinion".   Anyone have any pronounced opinions on the rightness/wrongness of that?????????????????

But I will not be threatened/bullied into coughing up something like £4,600 for a 3 year old car - trading it in against another would be a palatable (define "palatable") option, as would simply handing the car back, & writing off what I'd shelled out over the past 3 years (around £7 Grand in total) as a necessary expense: although in all truth, I've bought much more expensive cars in the past: traded them in after 1 or 2 years: dropped a whole shedload more than 7k in the process, & I swallowed the bitter pill then.               If I couldn't get another PCP from either VAG or indeed any other manufacturer of similar cars, then I'd simply buy one outright for cash, and "take the necessary hit" as & when I fell off the perch.

But I WILL NOT be coerced into doing something that is perhaps preferable for VAG/the Stealer, but not so attractive for me.

So, it seems that I'll be going down either the trade-it-in & take another Citigo, or simply hand it back, & buy something similar - either with a PCP or for straight cash.

Anyone pick any flaws in that??????????????????? 

• Like 1

No flaws in your logic, that is exactly what I have done today, our 14 Citigo SE PCP is up in September, went into my local dealer for a discussion over our options, after a bit of a discussion he has taken our car as PX against a brand new Colour edition as it had some equity, and we pickup the new car next week. Only a slight increase in our monthly contribution from £99 on our old SE to £124 on the Colour edition with £1000 deposit contribution and 0% interest but then the Colour edition is a tad more expensive than the SE.

The only bit of concern is my wife's as the new car doesn't have a CD slot to put the grandkids story CD's in, I see it as a bonus! I have had to promise to transfer them to an SD card to slot in the radio though.

On 2017-5-23 at 17:45, Michaelski said:

Hi Citigouk, & thanks for that - it's always interesting to receive the views of another car buyer.

I take your comments about "interrogating my credit rating" on board, but I can't, in all honesty, say that the prospect concerns me unduly.

A PCP was mainly of interest to me because of my highly-advanced years & the fact that Mrs Michaelski no longer drives  - me working on the basis that sooner-or-later, I would be shuffling off this mortal coil, & she would simply then return the car as "unwanted, & do/say whatever the hell you like, as I'm supremely indifferent to your opinion".   Anyone have any pronounced opinions on the rightness/wrongness of that?????????????????

But I will not be threatened/bullied into coughing up something like £4,600 for a 3 year old car - trading it in against another would be a palatable (define "palatable") option, as would simply handing the car back, & writing off what I'd shelled out over the past 3 years (around £7 Grand in total) as a necessary expense: although in all truth, I've bought much more expensive cars in the past: traded them in after 1 or 2 years: dropped a whole shedload more than 7k in the process, & I swallowed the bitter pill then.               If I couldn't get another PCP from either VAG or indeed any other manufacturer of similar cars, then I'd simply buy one outright for cash, and "take the necessary hit" as & when I fell off the perch.

But I WILL NOT be coerced into doing something that is perhaps preferable for VAG/the Stealer, but not so attractive for me.

So, it seems that I'll be going down either the trade-it-in & take another Citigo, or simply hand it back, & buy something similar - either with a PCP or for straight cash.

Anyone pick any flaws in that??????????????????? 

I like your style Michaelski, in fact you mirror my opinions too. I am now long in the tooth and think pcp is a great option especially as, like you my wife doesn't drive and should I snuff it she can hand the car back without a care.

I'm sorry but I can't see how, providing you have honoured your payments throughout your pcp. handing the car back would make a jot of difference to your credit rating. It's in the terms of contract after all.

I also, like you am in a position where I could buy the car outright but the way my finances work a pcp is a great choice and does not impact on my savings in any way. I certainly can't pick any flaws in your reasoning.;)

12 hours ago, horkin said:

I'm sorry but I can't see how, providing you have honoured your payments throughout your pcp. handing the car back would make a jot of difference to your credit rating. It's in the terms of contract after all.

I think yourself and Michaelski are getting confused with my comments on the normal end of PCP option of handing the car back and if YOU decided to exercise the VT (50's) rule within the agreement.

My warning was on people which decide to VT early and although no marker (currently) will be positioned on your credit file.... an underwriter is a educated person and its becoming normal practice (especially with upcoming BoE concerns surrounding PCP https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bank-england-looks-regulate-pcp-car-finance-deals ) for additional questions of the applicant to be asked as to why a previous agreements.

My view is there next shift in automotive finance will be from what we know  PCP to PCH. Eliminates VT and the worry of PCP final payments.

The OP quite clearly states he is 2 years into his agreement and will have 17.000 miles on when the 3 years is up which strongly suggests to me he has no plans to VT early?. Apologies if I've read that wrong. 

This may be of interest.

http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/car-finance-voluntary-termination-pcp-hp/2/

Well, & firstly my thanks to both horkin & Steve JP - & how reassuring you both are, & I admire your attitudes, 'pon my cully, I do!!!!!

Steve, I have to say that I stand in awe of your promise to transfer "music???" to a SD Card (whatever the hell they are), but yeah, I do understand that not only has Mr Skoda (or possibly Mrs Skoda) got rid of the Sat Nav, but they've also upgraded (for want of a better word) the radio, but in the process, the CD Player went the same way as the Sat Nav.          WHY do car manufacturers persist in DELUDING themselves that only the young (& technically-aware) buy their cars?    There are (thank the Good Lord) still some of us Old & Bold out there: who wish to downsize, but CANNOT cope with (or even want) the ability to stream music (if that's the technical term for it) or do anything more than to whop in a CD (possibly of Ray Connif era) & use the supplied Sat Nav to find their way home from the nearest Cash & Carry.      DAMN & BLAST modern technology, & all who sink in it.

I know very little about the Colour Edition -  something I've never actually looked at, but my needs are extremely simple (as is SWMBO) 5 doors & the Heated front seats are a "must" - everything else is somewhat academic, but it sounds as though you got a decent deal.  Out of interest, could you tell me what the "balloon" payment was vis a vis the GFV?   My little Tonka Toy is a '15 registration, & from memory, the GFV is around £4,600.   Like horkin, I could shell out the necessary shekels to buy another one outright, but equally like horkin, why in tarnation should I - the BEEEG attraction of the PCP to me, is that when I turn my toes up, the action of SWMBO will be to simply tell Mr Skoda to come & collect his little jam jar (before I'm even cold, probably): cancel the D/Deb & look up the nearest taxi service in the yellow pages.

Citigouk seems to have qualified his initial doom-and-gloom statement, by saying that having the "kiss of death" applied to us PCP owners, really only applies should one return the car WITHIN the term of the PCP - which I ain't not gunna not do - at 3 years, & only around 19k on the clock, & apart from that, it suits us admirably.

So, watch this space------------------------

Hi SteveJP,

Have just had a quick butchers at the Colour Edition, & it seems, providing I shell out another £900 for the Convenience & Winter packs - + another obligatory £50 for a new 15" Spare (as my current space saver will be the wrong size) that it will give me all that I have at the moment, + a little bit more, & will doubtless suit SWMBO down to the ground.    According to the enquiry that I made, the original limitations on Colour (ie. Black or White) have now been extended to various other colours (SWMBO has decided that she'd like Silver the next time).  The downsizing from my current 75 bhp to 60, doesn't really bother me, as I've gathered that the extra 25% doesn't really kick in until you're the north side of 4,000 rpm.  The slight lack in acceleration doesn't bother me either, as even my 75 is hardly a ball of fire & doesn't leave the starting block like S H One T off a stick, so another second or so, is purely academic.    Anyway, with even the extra £950, it only comes to about the same amount as a new SE-L Greentech

So many thanks for the Heads Up, and enjoy your own little Tonka Toy. 

Incidentally, & possibly for interest, I have been running my own Tonka T on BP Super Unleaded for 2-3 months now, & it certainly does seem to make a huge difference in the performance AND smoothness.      Yeah, SOME smartarse is going to tell me that it's a total waste of money, but as I'm continually getting mpg in the very high 50's/very low 60's in normal day-to-day running, (& well North of 70 mpg on a decent run) another £5 per month, isn't going to break me - after all, it's less than one cup of coffee pm for SWMBO & I in some Greasy Spoon.   I did read an article from some learne`d Geek, who avows that EVERY car does well to have a fill up of Super once/twice pa.     Suck it & see, is what I sez.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol!! I too don't want to stream through blue teeth or whatever the name is. I like the Sat Nav but what do I do when I want to buy a new car? I don't own a smart phone, whatever that means. My mobile phone is a phone. It seems if you want to carry a small pc around with you they call it a 'smart phone'. The new models assume we all use this technology and they give you a 'cradle' for it which is neither use nor ornament to me. 

I'm wondering, do the new models offer the option of an old fashioned type info station which can be docked into the dash or is a smart phone now obligatory??

Hi horkin,

We seem to be of the same era, not to mention having an abhorrence of the advance of technology - I too have a wind-driven Mobile, and it suits me perfectly, even though it does tend to attract sneers of derision from the "more enlightened".

From what I have seen & read, it appears that the "new" Citigo cradle on the Dash, is a scaled down version of the Angel of the North (built by Lego Land), & has leads hanging everywhere as matching accessories.  Seems to me (unless it is permanently removable) that it's going to be an open invitation to those so inclined, to break into the car in the hope that there may be a Smart Phone concealed somewhere - FAT CHANCE, from what I've seen these SP's are permanently attached to the ear of the owner. 

And again, from my enquiries, (configuring a Colour Edition) it seems that you CAN have what appears to be the latter day version of the Trip Computer (by ordering the Entertainment Pack), but just how it works, and where it's displayed, WTH would know?    Although, sooner or later, there's going to be someone on Briskoda who HAS just bought the latest edition of the car, & who shelled out for the Entertainment Package, & will be able to give the definitive answer.

It DOES NOT appear to be as convenient as the current Sat Nav/Trip Computer is, but perhaps Mr Skoda has gone off the notion of targeting geriatric dropouts, & is hopefully zeroing in on the younger generation.    Personally, I think that he's gone way into left field, as most of the Citigo's that I've seen seem to be driven by stately & sensible old men/women, & not by the young version of the "heads down, arse up" Brigade - they seem to want something that carries a whole lot more "poke" than the Citigo offers.  And now that virtually all cars will pay a hefty RFL, even that attraction has been removed from the Citigo's.

And speaking of geriatric dropouts, it was a very warm day yesterday, & SWMBO & I "hit" our local supermarket.   As we pottered round (SWMBO in front & looking animated, & me the obligatory 3 steps behind, & looking totally bored) there was this skinny old geezer (70+ if he was a day) dressed in a beer-advertising T Shirt: shorts (or in his case "longs") desert wellies with socks, Baseball Cap (peak reversed) & with the quintessential Smart Phone superglued to his starboard lug - he looked like an anaemic spider kitted out by the local Oxfam shop..    Got a severe dig in the ribs (+ the customary glare) from SWMBO for loudly exclaiming "OMG, will you take a look at the state of THAT"!   I'm equally old, but at least I have the grace to dress & appear "old", & not try to be mutton dressed as lamb - my King Edward Frock Coat, striped trousers, spats & Hush Puppies (& Davy Crocket hat) suit every occasion.

Old age eventually comes to everyone!

Edited by Michaelski

FAO SteveJP,

When you eventually collect your new Colour Edition (& I hope that you love it to bits) I'd be most grateful of you could check & Post exactly  just what roundy-things have been fitted to it.

When I got my SE-L (2015), it was kitted out with cheap-&-rather nasty Continental premium contact 2's (which had fairly recently replaced the also relatively newly-introduced Continental premium contacts, & in turn 2's are now replaced with premium contact 5's - which show either just how little time these particular tyres were in being before major improvements were made, or just how crap {with a Capital K} the original  Premium Contacts were?).

Anyway, having read various learne`d reviews from a number of tyre magazines, I decided that if Continental were now rolling out their Mark V, the Mark II's fitted by Mr Skoda (& possibly bought at some Car Boot Sale) can't have been all that good.        As this assessment seemed to be supported by these independent Tyre Magazines I dipped deep (about £300 deep), & replaced my Continental tyres at 4.5k, & whopped Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Generation 2 tyres on instead.

IMHO these are cracking good tyres, although if I went down that particular road again, I would probably switch over to the Michelin Cross Climates, as they seem to be even better than the Goodyears - a tad more pricey, true, but I never forget that my life depends on 4 bits of rubber that are not really much larger than the size of my hands, & therefore a few quid doesn't seem all that important in the greater scheme of things.

However, mebbe Mr Skoda, or Mrs Skoda, (or whoever makes the decisions in the Skoda household) have now seen a little sense, & are now fitting premium tyres, instead of those manufactured by whoever gives them the best deal when it's time to buy in a job lot?

Hi. Michaelski

I will indeed let you know, we pick up the new car on Wednesday.  Our SE has Falken Sincera tyres which have performed well enough.  We haven't had to replace any in the last 3 years, although I suspect the fronts may need replacing soon as the shoulders are showing signs of wear, still, that's the dealers problem now.

My other car, FORD S Max ( grandchildren transporter!) came with Contis which wore out very quickly, I now have Barum Bravaris tyres on that (2nd set) which seem to last longer.(or maybe that's because we use the Citigo more!) 

Thanks for that, SteveJP,

Although my car was shod with the Continental premium contacts, the spare was, from memory, also a Falken (I say "from memory" as it's such a ball-breaker to actually access the space saver, that I only dig it out around twice per year, to check the pressure). And although it's described as a "space saver",  it's not literally a S/S, - it's a normal full-sized steel wheel & tyre, but carries a sticker that says that it's "limited" to 50 mph.   Presumably, only because it's a steel wheel, & the others are Alloys?        No. 1 son has a SE, & his spare doesn't look any different from ours (the 50 mph sticker excepted), so I assume it's because the SE has steel wheels, & therefore the spare would match the others???  

No. 1 sons' also had a Falken S/S, although the car was shod with Hankooks - he seems to be happy enough with them, although I don't personally rate them all too highly, but short of shelling out some extra £300+, I'm sure that they'll do what it says on the tin? 

However, I can thoroughly recommend the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons, Generation 2 (the somewhat unnecessary cost apart) as they do all that they're claimed to do.

However, if I do go down the road of getting another SE-L, I'll have to donate my current spare to No. 1 son, as I also have an inflator & a tin of "goo" in the boot, as Mr Skoda  (in his infinite wisdom) is now fitting 15" wheels.   But for the sake of a few hundred quid, whatever car I next go for, I'll cough up & fit TOTR tyres.

2 hours ago, Michaelski said:

Thanks for that, SteveJP,

Although my car was shod with the Continental premium contacts, the spare was, from memory, also a Falken (I say "from memory" as it's such a ball-breaker to actually access the space saver, that I only dig it out around twice per year, to check the pressure). And although it's described as a "space saver",  it's not literally a S/S, - it's a normal full-sized steel wheel & tyre, but carries a sticker that says that it's "limited" to 50 mph.   Presumably, only because it's a steel wheel, & the others are Alloys?        No. 1 son has a SE, & his spare doesn't look any different from ours (the 50 mph sticker excepted), so I assume it's because the SE has steel wheels, & therefore the spare would match the others???  

No. 1 sons' also had a Falken S/S, although the car was shod with Hankooks - he seems to be happy enough with them, although I don't personally rate them all too highly, but short of shelling out some extra £300+, I'm sure that they'll do what it says on the tin? 

However, I can thoroughly recommend the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons, Generation 2 (the somewhat unnecessary cost apart) as they do all that they're claimed to do.

However, if I do go down the road of getting another SE-L, I'll have to donate my current spare to No. 1 son, as I also have an inflator & a tin of "goo" in the boot, as Mr Skoda  (in his infinite wisdom) is now fitting 15" wheels.   But for the sake of a few hundred quid, whatever car I next go for, I'll cough up & fit TOTR tyres.

I will be surprised if your 14 " spare cannot be used with the 15"  alloys as a spare, it should have the same rolling diameter as the 15" given that the 15's will have a lower profile than the 14, otherwise there will be speedo issues when people specify alloys in place of the standard steel wheels.  The SE has 70 aspect tyres on 14" wheels whereas the the Colour has 55 aspect on 15" wheels

i recently discovered this when I replaced the original 14" alloys on my Triumph Stag for 15" minilites. The tyres  on the minilites had a lower aspect to match the rolling diameter of the 14" alloys.

Edited by SteveJP
Additional info

Hi SteveJP,

Your comment about being able to use both 14" & 15" wheels at the same time has a certain degree of logic to it, but I have this gut feeling (& it is no more than a "gut feeling") that just "somehow" it isn't to be recommended.   There has to be "some" reason why Mr Skoda has stipulated that when mixing a steel wheel with an Alloy, one should be limited to 50 mph???   I take on board that the rolling diameter should be more or less the same, but there surely has to be some safety implications?  I would also take from that, that running on 3 x 15" wheels, & 1 x 14" (irrespective of whether they're all steel or alloys) is a distinct No No?

Doubtless there's someone much better informed than I out there, & who won't hesitate to trot out their various pet opinions as to just why one could/why one shouldn't mix & match, so I'll wait & see what they say when they undoubtedly roll in.

Well not long to wait.

Fabia with 16 or 17" tyres come with 15" steel spares, Octavia or Superb's with 17,18 or 19" wheels can come with 16" spares.

Even if you had exactly the same size spare as the tyres on the car but the spare was new you should still slow down because there is an odd one out.

Spare wheels are usually 'temporary' wheels until a tyre is repaired or replaced.

To get to a Tyre Repair centre.

Very few vehicles come with a matching spare to the Alloys on a car.

None of this stuff is new.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

PS

If you really worry carry 2 spare wheels so you can fit as a pair on the same axle.

If your vehicle has directional tyres and you have one spare that matches wheel / tyre there is a 50/50 chance it will suit if you had to fit it. So one side of the car would get the correct directional tyre, if had to go on the other side it would be wrong by the side marking for direction.

Edited by Awayoffski

Hi Micheal, love your post above and got to say I was in stitches visualising the old guy in his designer gear.

SWMBO often tells me she doesn't belong in this world and while I resist all the temptation to reply ;), I have to admit it does't get any easier!

As said, the space savers are often a different sized wheel to the alloys but are fitted with a tyre that gives the same running diameter to the size of wheels fitted.

Harry.

Thanks to Wayoffksi & horkin, for their input.

I just knew that I wouldn't have long to wait before some definitive answers popped up.

But for all the learne`d opinions, I just wouldn't feel happy in myself, running around on different sized wheels.    Call me odd if you like (you're odd)  but I insist on having all of my roundy things being a perfect match.    Yeah, I take on board that there may come a time when I'll have to whop my spare on, but if that ever happened, then I would keep my speed down to well South of 50 mph, & I would either have the original tyre repaired (or even buy a new one, possibly even two, to have equality) as soon as was humanly possible - after all, it's only money.

My old Granny used to say (before I swapped her tube of toothpaste for a tube of Superglue - after which she didn't really say much at all) that there's no pockets in shrouds, & I'd rather shell out a few quid on a new tyre (or even 2 of them), than take risks.

I did, in a previous existence when I had much more money than sense, have a vairy naice & very rapid Lexus GS, & my residual memory of it was that it had stunningly beautiful Alloy wheels.     In the Boot, there was the same full size Alloy  which was shod with the same brand of expensive tyre.   

Mind you, & from memory, & I accept that my memory isn't what it used to be  (possibly not for nothing does SWMBO constantly say that whilst I may look like an elephant, I don't have the memory of one) whilst all the wheels were the same size, not only were the front & rear tyre profiles different, but they were also  unidirectional, if that is the word??? (& if not, it should be, as it's a really good word) & couldn't be swapped from side to side, least of all from front to rear.    When I did idly think about it, much later in time, I had this notion that unless the Spare was "all things to all men", then not only was it not designed to fit both front & rears, but in all probability, it would only fit just one side - the LHS.  

I could never summon up either the energy or the interest to find out which wheel the spare would have fitted, & fortunately,  as it turned out, I never had to put it to the test. 

A little knowledge may be a dangerous thing, but NO knowledge if even more dangerous.

Thought for the Day, 

Porsche, Audi, BMW etc, 

Rear Wheels wider or larger than fronts or fronts wider or larger than rear, or total diameter different, 

Do you just have 1 spare wheel, 2 spare wheels or no spare wheels since it is a performance car and weight matters and a low loader will collect you if you wreck a tyre.

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

Thought for the Day, 

Porsche, Audi, BMW etc, 

Rear Wheels wider or larger than fronts or fronts wider or larger than rear, or total diameter different, 

Do you just have 1 spare wheel, 2 spare wheels or no spare wheels since it is a performance car and weight matters and a low loader will collect you if you wreck a tyre.

A very good question, Awayoffski.     What do  you do?????

But I've never had any of those cars (never actually fancied any of them) & it was only extremely belatedly that the thought about what would I have done, if the Lexus (having both differently-sized fronts & rears also & unidirectional) tyres had a puncture.   Thankfully, it never happened with any of the ones that I had, & (through ignorance) I never thought about it at the time - otherwise I'm sure that I would have been a anticipatory nervous wreck with a constant "twitch". 

I much prefer to have the ability to merely change a wheel with a like-for-like (like wot I can with the Citigo), should I suffer a puncture, and not have to wait hours (conceivably in the middle of nowhere) for some hypothetical low-loader to find its' way to me, & get me back on the road again.           Just imagine being marooned somewhere in the Scottish Highlands, or, even worse, stuck out somewhere in the rural backwaters of Ireland, France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy etc.     The mind boggles!!!!   

6 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Thought for the Day, 

Porsche, Audi, BMW etc, 

Run flat tyres is the most of the above way forward.

When you get a puncture you dont have to guess it either...... enough warning to the exact tyre are on the displays