Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Skoda Octavia MKIII

HI.

I have a Skoda Octavia Elegance MKIII 2014 and I want to know if my car comes with the TPMS installed or do I need to activate it? I went to Skoda garage and they booked me to check if is activated or connected as from my infotainment is not any option to see it. To be honest I do not want to go there and find out I have to pay extra for that option.

Thank you

10 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Should be there. Infotainment. Car settings then there is a tyres section. 

Is that where shows to setup and underneath is winter tyres to setup for the speed? Is anything else to setup apart of that?

From memory, yes that's it. You inflate the tyres to the correct pressure then set the TPMS. It won't tell you the pressures of the tyres, just if one drops suddenly. Think of it as more of a deflation warning than a pressure monitoring system. 

Thank you. That`s what I wanted to know. Surprisingly, the people from the Skoda garage booked me for that to check is I have or not, but seems they do not know too much about the system and the car. I will cancel the appointment.

You must have it, each O3 I've ever driven had it. Comes together with ESP system.

How it works, it warns on circumference difference between wheels. Even on slight lose of pressure, wheel will have reduced circumference. Our old Octavia warned that some wheel lost a pressure, so you have to go and check. The white one tells exactly which wheel is losing pressure - had an opportunity to check it from the first hand, as in garage they fitted wrong cap and it was gently touching the needle in the middle of valve.

This is actually great system as it costs 0. Just a few lines of software code, and each car equipped with ESP is capable to have such a feature. Car "knows" how each wheel rotates, at what speeds and exact position in the circle of rotation.

This is very useful thing. You will be able to save a tire which loses pressure much earlier then it is completely deflated. Had an issue with Alfa with brand new tires, on the back lost completely a pressure after hitting a hole. Since it affected tire in the back, you don't feel anything until it dropped completely. Of course, just these few meters of driving on a flat tire completely destroyed it.

I had a similar experience, I was told the Octavia didnt have the TPMS system at the garage...

10 minutes after getting home & seraching through the menus I was pleasantly suprised to find the TPMS setting & it was good to know it was the ABS system rather than the expensive pressure sensor valve on each Wheel.

You just have to remember to reset it if you change the tyres/wheels or you check/reinflate the tyres.

• Like 1

Under EU regulations all new models had to have some sort of TPMS system since November 2012, and it had to be included with all new cars since November 2014.

Just looking at the spec for a FL Octavia (on the configurator on the Skoda UK website - specifically, a 1.0 SE DSG).

It includes " Direct tire (sic) pressure monitoring system ".   So looks like the FL model now has wheel sensors and no longer uses the ABS/ESP (indirect) type of TPMS?

noooooo, I hope not. They are a pain in the arse when you have to change tyres in winter or summer.

Just something else to cost you extra.

• Like 1

The reason I went to Skoda garage was, I wanted to change the tires profile from winter to all seasons. But I figured out that setting is there for who install winter tires to their car and to set the speed limit warning.

• 3 months later...

When I tested it with deflating one tyre, minus 0.4 bar triggered the system instantly, I had to drive less than 1 km for the warning message.

Deflating 0.3 bar or less didn't do anything.

Tyre pressure is 2.2 bar on all wheels.

In my experience the system can also detect lower pressure (wheel diameter) changes, because when I rotated my wheels (fronts/rears) I also had a warning (Check all tires) in 20-30 kms. Later I checked the pressures and they were between 2.15-1.95 bar. The same thing can happen in spring when the temerature suddenly rises 10-15 C in one day. This spring I got a warning message while driving on highway at 150 kph, it wasn't funny at all.....

Interetingly, a sudden temperature drop (in autumn/winter) doesn't trigger the system but the false spring alarm happens once in every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aki78 said:

When I tested it with deflating one tyre, minus 0.4 bar triggered the system instantly, I had to drive less than 1 km for the warning message.

Deflating 0.3 bar or less didn't do anything.

When I checked my tyre pressures yesterday 2 were 0.25 bar down (should have been 2.2bar, were 1.95 bar) and the TPMS hadn't alerted me - so I would agree with those figures.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

From my experience from 2 days ago, I can say it did the job. I had a puncture and the tyre started to deflate when the system warned me about the tyre. When I went home I went to that wheel and I looked at when I heard the air coming out. Next morning I went to repair the puncture and my car is up and running again.