Petition to ask VAG to reverse Emissions Updates

Santrix

Sorry that my first ever post here is a link to a Petition, but on Facebook in the The Volkswagen Diesel Customer Forum (Emissions Scandal) group, we are planning to picket/protest the VW Headquarters in Milton Keynes on 21st June 2017.

The petition regards the increasing number of customers with VAG diesels who have experienced breakdowns following the recent emissions updates to their ECU.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/force-volkswagen-audi-seat-skoda-to-revert-emission-software-updates

Please sign and share if you can. Thanks everyone.

There are plenty of ECU flash files already available from VAG's servers which allow the fix to be removed.

If you have a VCDS autoscan (ideally from before the fix) I can see if there is a suitable file for your car.

I don't - In my case, I was sold the car having been promised it would not have the fix installed - and hey presto - it has... I only found out a few days ago, and am about to return the car to them/sue them unless they can revert it for me. It's still under warranty otherwise I wouldn't hesitate. It's a Yeti CR170 2013. :)

In theory, any dealership should have the equipment to remove the fix but I doubt Skoda/VAG HQ will allow it. I would also expect they are forced to complete the fix on any used cars sold.

I fully appreciate your annoyance as the dealer shouldn't have promised something they couldn't deliver, however, unless you got it in writing it'll be hard to prove...

Still, I wish you the best of luck :)

Langers, I suspect you are right. I am going to see my solicitor tomorrow, but with a heavy heart I think they are going to ask me for documentary proof of what was agreed, after all, with a handshake. As an engineer who is now 50 years old, I should now better than to have trusted a f***ing salesman.

This is what I have read from other research. I have copied and pasted it.

Just seen this on another group! thought a very interesting read! 

Copied this from 'tiguan owners uk' 

This is from a VW EX service manager 

My advice as an EX VW Service manager, to any VW, Audi Seat or Skoda owner with the affected engines would be DON'T HAVE THE EMISSIONS RECALL DONE!!!. 

in the 8 months before i left VW we carried out a few hundred of these recalls. after the second week we had owners complaining of poor running increased fuel consumption and more engine noise. in the beginning we were allowed to put the old software back. but after about 6 weeks we were stopped from doing this by VW technical services. 

the new emissions software does not offer complete combustion, this was supposedly to lower the Nox emissions. but in doing this VW/Audi have caused a whole new list of problems. with the incomplete combustion MORE carbon is produced, therefore the EGR valve has to work harder and gets clogged up in double quick time. also another direct result of the extra carbon is a higher rate of DPF regenerations, this can be as often as every 100 miles. EGR valves will fail and VW's answer is to replace them at the owners cost, then deny any link to the new software. this is why i left them i could not abide having to lie to the customer. in the last three months that iworked for VW we replaced over 200 EGR valves as a result of the new software. this procedure is costing the owner upwards of £900.00 

DPF failure is less common but it is happening, other problems include premature engine wear caused by the odd failed DPF regeneration, causing unburnt fuel to find its way into the sump and the lesser viscosity it is not lubricating the top of the engine correctly. these engins need a specific oil and any dilution is having a negative effect. 

my advice is... i know this is an owner cost option but... at half the price of a EGR replacement and saving further engine problems... a remap would solve the poor running ans increased fuel consumption in one go. the 2.0tdi engine was bult to run with the 177bhp mapping  as an option when the car was new the 140bhp was just de-tuned to suit a sales pitch and a government target. since leaving VW i have recomended  to hundreds of owners that a good tuner can reverse the update . most are finding that on a log drive the economy is slighlt better than original. 

going back to the recall. you do not have to get it done... it is not a legal requirement... it is not a safety recall... dont get it done, but if you have already been "done". then all is not lost...remap. 

i do think that in time Vw / Audi will be forced to offer owners their old software back. but i am not expecting that to happen in the short term.

• Like 1

Then on the flip side - I've flashed literally tens if not hundreds of Skoda's and Seats (1.2,1.6 & 2.0TDI CRs) over the last 18 months and I can count the amount of legitimate problems that have since occurred as a result of the update on one hand.

my best advice would be:

- never listen to the b0ll0cks that a salesperson tells you prior to the sale (they are generally creative with the truth at the best of times and their interest in your sale quickly diminishes once they have their commission out of you)

- Hand the car back. The only way to rid the car of the software is by a third party ECU remap (skoda dealers don't have the ability to revert the ecu back)

Skoda and Seat accredited Master technician.

?

Only tens if not hundreds that you have done & you work full time?

Paul Willis CEO VW UK testified to the Westmister Select Committee that 20,000 a week were being done, so how many are the different 

SEAT, SKODA, VW, AUDI dealerships getting through. Or each technician doing the fix?

There was a point where we were doing 5/6/7/8 a day depending on which release we were working through, that might last a week or a month. 

Theres no point me inflating the figures. 

Skoda and Seat were late in the game compared to VW and Audi.

A friend of mine works for a large VW dealer and they are churning out 15/20 a day, every day. They only book recalls in on Saturdays now to cope with the Volume.

to be honest 20,000 is quite achievable given the size of the entire dealer network. 

• Like 1

The DVSA surely will do the audit and once SEAT & SKODA catch up the lot that are to be getting done must be near there by now.

VW Group appear to be admitting to only 1% of those having had it done as reporting issues, 

strangely they seem to allow some spin doctor to say that means 99% are satisfied.

That is what you get with salespeople, simplification of statistics.

so James, it sounds like you may have flashed around 200 also vehicles in the last 18 months. And you feel that around a handful perhaps have experienced problems that are legitimately related to the update?  so would you say then that it would be fair to say around one in 40 cars have a problem following and attributable  to the update? 

Edited by Santrix

I'm told that the campaign is over one third complete and on its way to approaching 50%. 

VW seem to be suffering with much more fix related issues. 

One in 40/50 would be reasonable to say but these "issues" can be something as minor as the air con not working (requires resetting post update) to EGR failure (usually already in poor shape but emphasised by the increase demand with the new software).

If SKODA & SEAT are late to the game, and Skoda certainly is with the 1.2 & 1.6 engines then the issues may not be rearing their ugly head yet as they have with the VW's that seem to get given priority in getting done under the Service Campaign, especially with 1.6TDI's after the initially hold ups.

Seats have been predominantly focused on the 1.6 cr with no come backs (at our particular dealer anyway!).

skoda were heavily focused on the 2.0 cr which is the more common power unit across the Czech brand when compared to their Spanish cousins. 

I still don't understand why they have been so lapsed with the 1.6 cr software on skoda though as it's a very popular engine and the fix is already being implemented across the other brands. 

VAG is making to changes to stave off the threat of fines and sanctions from the EU. They really aren't going to allow anyone to roll them back.

Maybe a tuning firm would have be able to put the car back to standard but VAG isn't going to.

My mate has a perfectly running Passat 170. I know I've warned him away from getting it done. Car is going fine so leave it be.