When can you find out your new registration?

Pretty much as the title says,I've never ordered new so was curious as I've been getting insurance quotes and obviously to go ahead with a purchase you need to know its registration.

I emailed him today,just thought I'd ask on here. Maybe a standard process don't know how it works. I guess car has to be in country then dealer applies for registration? Something like that maybe? Is it instant? Do they wait? I guess I just want to understand the process of it.

14 hours ago, Mark06 said:

Oh really! I never knew that,thought you would just get one allocated. Chance of an almost personal plate :)

The first 2 letters will be the reg code for the Issuing centre. As your from Rotherham and you buy from Rotherham/Sheffield area your reg should start with one of these codes

YL YM YN YO YP YR YS YT YU

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

Normally I either get a list to choose from or just a call with the new reg a few days to a week before I collect, you don't need to worry about insurance until the day you collect or even a few days after as you get 5 days of free cover from Skoda.

i actually had to make a claim on Skoda insurance when my wife hit our 3 day old Yeti, they were by far the best car claims process I've ever experienced.

You will not be able to get a quote based on a reg number until the car has one assigned and it is registered with the DVLC which wont happen until after the car has arrived, been preped and registered - normally just before you collect.

Most companies will quote if you input model and engine size manually.

8 hours ago, octavia5 said:

You will not be able to get a quote based on a reg number until the car has one assigned and it is registered with the DVLC

Sometimes not even then.

My wife bought a new shape Fiesta in 2013 and it was the 1.5 diesel (which disappeared from the model range within months to be replaced with the 1.6 diesel).

Attempting to get a quote from anywhere was nigh-on impossible; according to both Confused and MoneySupermarket, the Fiesta didn't come with a 1.5 diesel engine and her existing insurer simply couldn't proceed with anything because the assigned reg plate "didn't exist" (even though a quick call to DVLA confirmed that it did).

• 2 weeks later...

Received an email yesterday asking me to confirm my details and sign to accept registration for new vehicle which of course shows my new Reg. Came same time as email confirming car now in U.K. Not sure if normal practice or they have given me info early as I enquired about it. Still a couple of weeks till I actually get the car.