Tyre (ing) issues

tuono01

I'm looking at a replacement car and the rear tyres are quite low, though still legal tread, but they might be the wrong load rating. As the car is 100 miles away I can't just nip back before finalising the deal.

Now as it's a national dealer are they legally obliged to replace the tyres, if I point out the load rating issue. Would it invalidate insurance, points on your license should I get pulled?

The tyres are 97 rated but after doing some research the car should have 101 rated tyres.

Thinking I might phone the sales guy to check, but then don't want him waffling company policy nonsense to me.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Might be worth checking with the tyre manufacturer's site to see if they recommend that tyre for the car - if so, no problem.

If the tyre manufacturer doesn't recommend that tyre, then it may, as you say, invalidate your insurance and you could lead to you having a fine of £2500 & 3 points per tyre. I reckon that this is pretty darned unlikely.

If they are not recommended by the manufacturer, you could get the garage to replace them, but they're likely to do so with part-worn tyres so you'll probably not gain much if anything. Knowing they are close to the legal limit, I'd suggest you negotiate with the dealer for them to put on new ones (if they deal hasn't yet been finalised) or make arrangements for replacements yourself (if it has)

What actual year and model (engine) is your Octavia vRS Estate, and what tyre brand and size and speed / loading rating was fitted.?

Ask how much they are going to spend fitting the correct pair of tyres for the vehicle and what these are.

If you do not like what they are fitting maybe discuss you paying extra (the difference if more expensive) to have the correct tyres but what suits you fitted.

Edited by Awayoffski

This issue is with a Ford Galaxy I am looking to buy. My VRs has gone.

All the tyre sites I've looked at recommend the 101 rated tyre on the 18" wheels, though a 103 on 17s that are fitted to some models. 

Questioned about the tread depth at the time of looking but told company policy is 3mm and above fine. 

See what the dealer recommends in their posters etc in the service area.

As George says they're not illegal so they wouldn't be required to change them for that. But if they have big posters up in the service area that say change tyres at 3mm (which many manufacturers do recommend) you might well be able to push them to change them.

[clicky click]

From Ford - https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-repair/tyres/safety

Wear indicators in the tyre grooves will show you if the tread has reached the legal absolute minimum of 1.6 mm. Standard summer tyres should be changed when the tread is lower than 3 mm (78% worn). If the tread on your winter tyres is below 4 mm, they could lose grip when driving on snow.

If they're under 3 you should be able to push for a change, over no. If they are very close you can have an argument but they won't be keen, the price of the tyres might remove most of their profit in the car.

Edited by Aspman

20 minutes ago, Aspman said:

If they're under 3 you should be able to push for a change, over no. If they are very close you can have an argument but they won't be keen, the price of the tyres might remove most of their profit in the car.

Plus you might end up with Chineese Ditch Finders.  

** Other Country's Ditch Finders are also Available **

• Like 1