Rear brakes

Hi

Just been cleaning the Rapid and noticed that the rear discs are in a bad way... drivers worse than the passengers :( 

I know they have been scored for a while but not this bad.... As it is going in for a service and MOT on the 2nd June I expect that would fail... I did put the handbrake on and try to move and both sides seem to be working as they should, both sides dip if I try to pull away... Pads look to have plenty on but will be no good now Lol 

More expense Lol ,,, teach me to have a Superb and a Rapid both the same age, both due tax, insurance, service and MOT's and the Superb needs tyres :crying: 

Images are the drivers which is the bad one out the two..

20170521_151716.jpg

20170521_151739.jpg

20170521_151814.jpg

Edited by StuartTunstall

Not nice.

Mine are 3 years old and it's never been parked under cover but they're not like that at all.

I seem to remember a few owners talking about discs made of tinfoil a while back - maybe there was a bad batch?

Edited by camelspyyder

Not good is it :( 

My Superb is the same age, they are built and registered within 2 days of each other and I just looked at them and they look perfect... The Rapid was scored the day I got it in June, wish I had told the dealer now but I suspected if it had been at the Skoda dealer for a while that could explain the state of the discs... but the drivers looks like the very top layer is coming away... the thickness looks OK.. 

Have emailed the dealer and as I have a good relationship I know they will look after me... after all they look after both cars and BOTH are going in the same weekend for service/MOT's :( 

Wow - they are bad!

The rust is no issue and nothing to worry about, but the scoring means it's new discs and pads time. There was a spate of use, in me, that had brake issues a couple of years back. Namely the factory pads producing excessive amounts of dust and the front discs scoring and having the same stopping power as two circles of cheese. Replaced mine with non-VW OE spec pads and discs and the difference was incredible. So much better in terms of stopping power, less brake dust.

I'm pretty sure my factory pads were just a bad batch, but they successfully destroyed my front discs and also forced me to have both front brakes stripped down and reassembled after they clogged and jammed due to the brake dust build-up.

Stu, the MK3 Superb has suffered the same due to the caliper slider pins not greased, it results in this wear due to light braking... #

Maybe its time to get out and do some heavy braking more often. :)

• Like 1

Wife's Feb 2013 spaceback had rear discs made from rubbish. They were bad before the first anniversary; not living near the sea, constant (light) use.... for 35 quid I replaced them with Mintex 6 months before the MoT to avoid any advisories. Skoda issued a TSB which fundamentally sought to deny there was an issue (my opinion, if any lawyers are reading this). A year on and the discs look like.... clean, one year old discs and not like they came off the Bismarck.

• 4 years later...

Holy thread resurrection!  Well, she has a 2018 Spaceback now; rear discs weren't wonderful before the MoT in March but passed fine; three months later the outer surface began to delaminate. Along with amusing pinging noises as bits of disc flew off onto the wheel / bodywork. 28K miles. Desperate OE quality discs - Mintex now fitted again. Fronts are OK.

And this weekend I get to help a friend with a Fabia with exactly the same wear issue. Fortunately it's a pretty easy job.

left_inner_a.jpg

left_outer_a.jpg

right_inner_a.jpg

right_outer_a.jpg

I serviced my own brakes last week (Toledo) full strip down. Noted last year one rear brake disc (nearside) had a wider rusty lip than the other side, why? Well after the strip down I still don't know why. Same pads discs both sides. Anyways the brakes are working fine but as said in this thread the discs are never shiny shiny always dull and look heavily scored, much different to my Mazda but I am very particular with that  it the discs always look new and fresh.

IMG_20210723_164327097_HDR~3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rear brakes should have mounted sprung / metal plates to give pads good slide... If not they will seem OK till pads stuck then your brake discs will be scrapped...

How many of your cars got them?brake_pads.jpg.2634dfbe1e021bbd783e728516550ae9.jpg

That is strange, my wife had a 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V and it had these plated shims on the rear brakes from new, her current car, a 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI from new does not have these plated shims on its rear brakes, I've considered retro fitting them, but will need to see how much of a gap is left between the pads and the calliper carriers once I fit them - that car has TRW (Girling>Lucas) rear callipers, later cars from VW Group tended to have Mando stuff on them, so maybe they just copied an earlier version of Girling>Lucas rear callipers and not the later TRW versions.