mk.2 octavia 1.8t owners opinions?

Hi all,

I'm new here on the forums and hoping to get to know the place a bit. For a few weeks I've been on the market for my first car after passing my driving test a whole 3 years ago, stressful business as it can be so hard to find something affordable enough to insure given I'm 23 and my zero named driver history, however after much deliberation I think I have decided on a Mk2 Skoda Octavia 1.8t. Originally I was going to going to get a Passat with the same engine, but was having trouble sourcing one and have now found a mk2 Octavia in laurin & klement trim with 140k on the clock for what appears to be a bargain £750, brilliant cosmetic condition and 5 service stamps (08, 09, 10, 12, 15). Only issue fault f/s rear window I believe. No unwanted lights on dash. 3000 miles since the last service in 15, seems like a weirdly small amount.

So I'm wondering, what is everyone's opinion on this car and engine? Would you recommend it, and is there anything specific you I should look out for when viewing? Any notable issues they have been known for?

Cheers

Dan

What year is it? Early FL 1.8 suffered from engine design issues (see sticky thread) and could have excessive oil use issues as well as chain tensioner failure. £750 seems too good to be true, so be wary. 

My 1.8 tsi L&K had the oil consumption problem but luckily for me was covered by a warranty.

I had the estate. Lovely smooth engine, plenty of power and the dsg gearbox was much better than the one I had in my Yeti.

But for me the suspension was too firm especially at low speed around town and there was way too much road noise. Probably one of the noisiest cars I've had for years.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

What year is it? Early FL 1.8 suffered from engine design issues (see sticky thread) and could have excessive oil use issues as well as chain tensioner failure. £750 seems too good to be true, so be wary. 

2004, so  the first run of the mk.2. Is this is an issue with the timing system you are referring to? Understand at 53k and 141k mile service the timing belt was changed. I'm guessing such an issue would be obvious during a test drive or are the earlier models not plagued by this issue?

Yes I do question the price a little. Will be having an experienced driver view the car. 

Sorry, I thought it was a FL model, so post 2009. It's obviously a bit older so I don't know if it would be affected by the oil use issue. I think that problem started on the early FL 1.8 engine. For an older car perhaps £750 is more reasonable. 

Sounds like it is a MK1 1.8T, not a MK2 1.8TSI at all, I understand that EA888 series were only introduced in ~2007 and more specifically the 1.8TSI Octavia only 2008/9 at the earliest. A picture of the car/registration would be useful.

2004 MK2 i believe had a 1.8 TFSI engine, hence the timing belt being changed (TSI has a chain) The L&K is nice (i have a FL L&K)  £750 seems reasonable for the age and and miles.