Skoda Fabia vRS 2005 HELP!

Hi all! Please take a minute to have a read then get back to me.

I've been loosing coolant in my recent purchase (Fabia vRS 2005) 

Apperently the water pump and Cambelt was done recently according to previous owner but the day after the purchase after an hour ish drive the coolant light came on.. so I topped it up and was fine then came on again 5 minutes later?... So on the way home I thrashed the balls out of it.. when I got home all the coolant that I put in was back in the bottle. The level was well above the max so I thought maybe a air lock?

So done a system flush yesterday started it afterwards kept it running for a good hour an coolant stayed fine. But when I kept it at 4k ish revs for a good 10 mins the level dropped to seem on the bottle? 

I very much doubt this is a head gasket failure . I believe it could be the water pump? Maybe the impeller is damaged? Can't keep up at higher revs. Any advice is appreciated!!!

• Like 1

On 24/05/2017 at 18:59, LukeCleveo95 said:

Apperently the water pump and Cambelt was done recently according to previous owner but the day after the purchase after an hour ish drive the coolant light came on.. so I topped it up and was fine then came on again 5 minutes later?... So on the way home I thrashed the balls out of it.. when I got home all the coolant that I put in was back in the bottle. The level was well above the max so I thought maybe a air lock?

So done a system flush yesterday started it afterwards kept it running for a good hour an coolant stayed fine. But when I kept it at 4k ish revs for a good 10 mins the level dropped to seem on the bottle? 

I very much doubt this is a head gasket failure . I believe it could be the water pump? Maybe the impeller is damaged? Can't keep up at higher revs. Any advice is appreciated!!!

Sounds like it could be a crack/warped head. 

Had same issues with a PD130 Golf MK4, which did exactly what you've said, and it was a head.
Best get it tested to find out. Simple 2 minute job to check if there any gases in the expansion tank.

99.9% sure its head gasket.

Scrapped the car shortly after.

Edited by broguer

On 5/24/2017 at 18:59, LukeCleveo95 said:

It is head gasket failure, you have head lift so that's probably what's caused the gasket to fail, redo the HG and use the upgraded PD150 bolts instead of standard bolts.

Bet the pipes are firm and expansion tank hisses when you take the cap off even when it's stone cold.

Bad luck, you bought a pup from a thieving ****.

• Like 2

@broguer & @sepulchrave

As I said previously I've flushed the system. Since then I've not had coolant loss like before.. I've topped it up once since I first posted.(24th May.) But I have done near on 1100 miles since then. 

There's no signs of head gasket failure at all and my mechanic insists it's not a head gasket failure but I'm not denying the fact it may be that. I'll keep it topped up and keep it steady until something happens and when / if it does go I'll do all the necessary work including pd150 headbolts. 

When something comes up I'll let you know :)

2 hours ago, broguer said:

Have you driven it harder or at higher revs though since topping up? Or have you literally been changing gear as soon as you can?

I've been driving a bit of both really. I've actually just topped it up again today. I've got quite if a led foot lol

Which makes me think it's a head gasket. Most garages have a test, where the can simply check the expansion tank for exhaust gases. Would take 5 mins. Worth checking before you start changing anything

1 minute ago, broguer said:

Which makes me think it's a head gasket. Most garages have a test, where the can simply check the expansion tank for exhaust gases. Would take 5 mins. Worth checking before you start changing anything

Okay I'll get this done in the next couple of days. I'm guessing mines in the early stages? Cos it never struggles to start oil looks good. No unusual smoke?? 

Also would it be a case of just the head gasket and new bolts? Or water pump belts everything else aswell ? 

3 hours ago, LukeCleveo95 said:

Okay I'll get this done in the next couple of days. I'm guessing mines in the early stages? Cos it never struggles to start oil looks good. No unusual smoke?? 

Also would it be a case of just the head gasket and new bolts? Or water pump belts everything else aswell ? 

I don't think early stages. I think fully done.

I had the same issues on a pd130 gttdi golf

- no oil usage 

- no leaks

- radiator looked great no damage

- no loss of power

- coolant loss from expansion tank overflow 

- only used coolant when driving over 2500 revs 

- drove 700 miles until light came on 

- no smoke

- no starting issues

- zero issues just loss of coolant 

I'm no mechanic, so unsure what the job ahead would be if it was the head. If it's cracked/lifted I think it's a lot more than bolts and gaskets, but someone on here will be able to let you know properly 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, broguer said:

I don't think early stages. I think fully done.

I had the same issues on a pd130 gttdi golf

- no oil usage 

- no leaks

- radiator looked great no damage

- no loss of power

- coolant loss from expansion tank overflow 

- only used coolant when driving over 2500 revs 

- drove 700 miles until light came on 

- no smoke

- no starting issues

- zero issues just loss of coolant 

I'm no mechanic, so unsure what the job ahead would be if it was the head. If it's cracked/lifted I think it's a lot more than bolts and gaskets, but someone on here will be able to let you know properly 

Thanks for the reply my friend I'm going to get the sniff test done then go from there 

Luke

I had this problem . Was the heater pipe o rings down the back of the engine on the bulkhead .Took a good torch and a proper look to see it tho. 

Puddy :)

Edited by puddy

1 hour ago, puddy said:

I had this problem . Was the heater pipe o rings down the back of the engine on the bulkhead .Took a good torch and a proper look to see it tho. 

Puddy :)

Hi Puddy

Thanks for the reply mate. I'll have a look. 

I'm not sure if this will have anything to do with it but I've had a problem today. Was going along went to put my foot down and the car wouldn't pick up seemed like the turbo was just switched off turned the car off and it's seemed fine happened again so turned it off for 10 mins. Drove home and it was fine 20 ish miles.?? Not sure if this is limp mode ? I had a couple of codes cleared yesterday including dpf code cleared. So not sure if the engine picked it up because the engine light was on again.. because of dpf. Just having one after the other with this car.

Luke 

1 minute ago, LukeCleveo95 said:

Hi Puddy

Thanks for the reply mate. I'll have a look. 

I'm not sure if this will have anything to do with it but I've had a problem today. Was going along went to put my foot down and the car wouldn't pick up seemed like the turbo was just switched off turned the car off and it's seemed fine happened again so turned it off for 10 mins. Drove home and it was fine 20 ish miles.?? Not sure if this is limp mode ? I had a couple of codes cleared yesterday including dpf code cleared. So not sure if the engine picked it up because the engine light was on again.. because of dpf. Just having one after the other with this car.

Luke 

No DPF on the VRS so no idea what's going on with that.

Do you mean you have had egr removed or the codes deleted.

Generally when you start getting egr valve codes , there is a problem with it ,

might just want removing and cleaning or replacing altogether.

Good luck , puddy :)

10 hours ago, puddy said:

Do you mean you have had egr removed or the codes deleted.

Generally when you start getting egr valve codes , there is a problem with it ,

might just want removing and cleaning or replacing altogether.

Good luck , puddy :)

Keeps going into limp mode now.. must be over boosting or I've got a loose pipe.. had the darkside egr delete on it for a while. Took it to have the engine management light off which was on the because of the egr. Then the light back on which I expected tbh I didn't think it would stay off. Then that's it keep going into limp mode.. 

May even be the vains on the turbo I suppose 

7 hours ago, LukeCleveo95 said:

May even be the vains on the turbo I suppose 

Vanes.

There shouldn't be any blood in a turbo - unless you catch your fingers in it :D

@LukeCleveo95 @TMB _ I've never heard of a turbo having an overly high opinion of itself before!;) I think you mean "vanes" rather than "vains" or "veins" guys.

Anyway, vane related over boost issues normally only occur on variable geometry turbos, when you use high revs after the variable vanes have got stuck in the low revs position.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

@LukeCleveo95 @TMB _ I've never heard of a turbo having an overly high opinion of itself before!;) I think you mean "vanes" rather than "vains" or "veins" guys.

Anyway, vane related over boost issues normally only occur on variable geometry turbos, when you use high revs after the variable vanes have got stuck in the low revs position.

Ha, bugger, I got it wrong as well :D

4 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Thanks for the reply @TMB & @KenONeill

Didn't realise this was a English lesson ;):D

Not had a problem with it today at all tried my hardest to get it to go into limp mode. I heard if you put it in 3rd and low revs and put foot down and keep doing this if it's today with vanes then it will go into limp mode and it was fine ? 

If it happens any more I'm gunna go for Mr Muscle treatment 

Luke 

@LukeCleveo95 - It's one of those things that's as easy to get right as wrong, and given that there's a significant minority of members for whom English is a second language...

Anyway, aside from stuck variable geometry intake vanes, the other logical possibility is a dodgy remap that's just increased fueling and peak boost demand without increasing the limiting boost value. However, that should happen every time you hit certain revs and boost in 3rd gear and above, not just sometimes.

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@LukeCleveo95 - It's one of those things that's as easy to get right as wrong, and given that there's a significant minority of members for whom English is a second language...

Anyway, aside from stuck variable geometry intake vanes, the other logical possibility is a dodgy remap that's just increased fueling and peak boost demand without increasing the limiting boost value. However, that should happen every time you hit certain revs and boost in 3rd gear and above, not just sometimes.

Hi I had the limp mode yesterday again. Plugged it in today came up with 2 new fault codes.. N57 something to do with boosting and one to do with fuel pump they were both showing as intermittent so who knows.. maybe it's nothing to do with turbo after all. And to do with the map yes.. I'm not sure on the quality of the map as it was mapped when I got it.. so I'm going to take it to darkside in the next couple of weeks ! :)

Luke 

IMG_20170507_172748.jpg