"Since Refueling" reset to zero mid tank...

Hi guys; first of all, greetings from Slovenia. Today I had my first inspection (oil change) with my new Octavia (two and a half months old). I 've noticed the same problem as many of you described. Not only "refuel counter", but also "long term consumption counter" resets by it self, randomly. I noticed if I turn my key two or three times in first position (don't need to start the engine, just contact) that's enough to reset bought of them.  A little history: It started to resets by itself first after 6K km, then after arround 3K, and since then, randomly, even while driving, at night, day, hot sun or in cold. No hills or on hills, It doesn't matter. It just does :) I reported the problem today, they contacted Skoda factory and the answer was they still don't have the solution. BUT it's not solely Skodas problem, it also happens in VW Golf 6 and 7, it happens in VW Touran and new Tiguan (that's what I've been told by the mechanic in Audi service and from my friends that have the same problem with VW cars).

So let's see what will happen.  Sorry for my bad english, ' don't use it every day :) 

I've been having this same issue. It's only happened in the past couple of months (car now 15 months old). It seems to have started happening since I renewed the online services subscription, but that could just be a coincidence. It's always worked flawlessly before that. Very annoying.

Hi, this happened to me too. The issue occurred only once when I parked the car on a downhill road. So I think it is a sensor that reads the fuel difference in the tank and each time this parameter increases he thinks it was refueled.

Just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

After about 20 months without problems, it happened to me too. Several times during the last 3-4 months. It always happens at the time i switch it on. I usually leave it in the "average fuel consumption since refueling" screen and i notice the 2 dashes instead of a decimal number when i switch it on. Then it starts calculating the average fuel consumption from scratch. I always park it on a completely flat place outside of my home and all the area around is flat. So steep gradient has nothing to do with this problem.

This has happened to me also. It didn't happen for the first 10 months or so, and started happening in the summer (incidentally, I noticed it when the weather started getting warmer, but this could just be a total coincidence). I'm assuming it's a software bug or faulty sensor somewhere.

My Superb has done it for the last two-plus years since new.  It's obviously a common problem, and everyone learns to live with it!  It really shouldn't happen - there's no need of a sensor to detect when refuelling has occured.  If the level in the tank increases significantly between switching the engine off and switching it on again, the only likely explanation is that refuelling has taken place.  So simple software - and everything is software-driven these days - should be able to reset the statistics since refuelling.  Bearing in mind that car manufacturers keep hardware to a minimum to save cost, there's a second reason to assume that there isn't a sensor as such.  The only 'problem' is that if I fill the car to the brim, I can drive well over 100 miles before the fuel gauge starts to drop from maximum.  So if I was a ridiculously-frequent refueller, the  car would never reset!

I visited dealer for my 2nd annual service and i mentioned that problem. He said that it is a known problem to him and that he has reported that. No solution for the moment. Now that plantpowered mentioned it, i think too that it only happens during the summer. It is working fine for the last 1 month. Have anyone noticed when it happens? For me it is always when i start the car after a lengthy stop. Have anyone noticed it with the engine on?

• 3 years later...