"Since Refueling" reset to zero mid tank...

"Since Refueling" reset to zero mid tank...(without putting fuel in) 

Noticed an half interesting thing today but fully explainable.

This morning did 276 miles down to folkstone to the "Le Shuttle" then over to Holland via France and Belgium (5 miles from German border, just shy of 500 miles straight.

Noticed the " Since refueling" had auto reset its self without adding fuel once we was in the road again in France as I was tracking mpg etc. 

In short... Due to the steep gradient when going onto the upper deck of the train (or maybe when driving off) due to this the fuel sensor must of triggered a higher reading due to all the fuel moving to the back / front of the tank.  (On a positive I reset the long term also to track over all mileage and mpg etc)  

Since refuel could have been reset accidently if you accidently pressed the selector scroller when in the since refuel mode for distance travelled, time or consumption.

Not saying that what you describe cannot happen but I have not read of anyone else reporting similar.

Long-term resets at 99 hours or 9999 miles (or km) depending on which comes first.

Edited by Gerrycan

2 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Since refuel could have been reset accidently if you accidently pressed the selector scroller when in the since refuel mode for distance travelled, time or consumption.

Not saying that what you describe cannot happen but I have not read of anyone else reporting similar.

Long-term resets at 99 hours or 9999 miles (or km) depending on which comes first.

.. "Since refuel" reset I think due to the gradient going onto the top deck of the tunnel..

I didnt reset anything 

I think the long term resetting is silly.  Shouldn't it just be a rolling 10000km?  Thats how my old car worked which I think is more meaningful.  A minor issue either way, but I just think its an odd decision of VW/Skoda to program that way...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You're not alone in finding that the 'since refuelling' data resets sometimes when you've not actually refuelled.  There are various references to it on the internet.  I have the same 'problem' - from time to time the 'since refuelling' data resets on my Superb at the same time as the 'since start' data re-zeros if I've not used the car for a few hours or more.  I've never found a cause.  The fact that 'since refuelling' and 'since start' show identical information means it can't really be a random pressing of buttons by me while I'm driving along.

I tend to use the 'since start' figures within the driving data section... 

I infrequently check the 'since fuel" option and periodically check the' long term: figures...

Which scare me sometimes... Lol. 

I park quite regularly on a very steep drive I haven't noticed anything but will be sure to check........ 

Having said that I do reverse on to it....... 

Edited by Zenbasses

Known issue but unkown solution... think it is a software glitch since it resets without adding any fuel or even opening the fuel cap... and doesn't matter if it s up/downhill it just resets from time to time... my guess is that all Superb owners have this issue but the majority don t check it and they never find out that there is an issue.

2 hours ago, Corbu33 said:

Known issue but unkown solution... think it is a software glitch since it resets without adding any fuel or even opening the fuel cap... and doesn't matter if it s up/downhill it just resets from time to time... my guess is that all Superb owners have this issue but the majority don t check it and they never find out that there is an issue.

Not a problem I've encountered - I'd know if I had as I'm slightly obsessed with the 'since refuel' figure.

Agreed - software is the likely villain.  I doubt that there's any 'switch' on the fuel cap etc, when a simple bit of software logic: 'Level in tank has increased since engine was last switched off' would enable the system to reset.  Wouldn't cost Skoda anything to implement this.  But it's just possible (?) that pressing/double-pressing something on the touch screen or its controls while the car is stationary activates a 'hidden' reset.  I'll play with that as a long-term project.

Happened a couple of times in mine but there has been a couple of common things both times. The tank has been just over 1/2 full and its been very hot weather. I guessed that the fuel had expanded and the car thought it had been refueled. Been hot this weekend of course but tank down to just over a 1/4 so one variable discounted and no reset.

To be honest these displays are just toys. The distance to empty goes up as well as down depending on how and where you are driving and manufacturers tend to set the mpg to the generous side of genuine. Only way to calc fuel consumption is with a calculator over several tanks, quoting form the dash is simply misleading.

Arguing almost for the sake of arguing....  The plastic tank probably expands more than its contents in hot weather, so the level 'drops'?  But my previous car - a Ford - consistently exaggerated its economy.  I'm virtually certain that the on board computer included a fudge factor to make things seem better than they were.

Edited by Mike_Brown

You will forgive me for having a chuckle over 'Poms' discussing very hot weather :biggrin:

I'm more inclined to believe the gradient theory than that postulated for temperature.

Modern fuel tanks do tend to be very flat.

Hot weather?  All things are relative....  But my 'distance since refuelling' et al data reset itself some time in the last couple of days while my car was parked on level ground.  (Game, set and match to Pom!)

I have a theory....  No doubt wrong, but I'll try it out over the next few days.

Reset after parking on level ground blows that theory. Wait to hear your new one.

I know that my Octavia resets when as little as 10 litres is put in.

Temperature perception IS relative, local headline "Adelaide shivers through its coldest winter day in two years as temps only reach 11.5 C" :)

Edited by Gerrycan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Although 6 months have passed from the original post, i want to add that in my previous car (a Toyota Avensis) i had the same problem. I couldn't find the reason for about 2 years until finally it happened in front of my eyes. It was clearly because of steep gradient. I was able to reproduce it on purpose. Maybe there were more reasons, but steep gradient was definitely one of them.

I haven't encountered this in my Superb yet, but i have it for less than 2 months.

This happened to me today after being parked level in my work car park for about 10 hours. Not only did the since refuelling reset, so did the clock and the trip distance that I always reset when I refill. Had about 3/4 of a tank and it was not a hot day! 

Had the radio presets go before but these were fine. This is the first time this has happened to me.

Again, not a major issue but another weird glitch in the Skoda matrix.... 

Just to let you know, this has only ever occured on my car this once - (when i posted)

I was on a ECO run from west yorkshire to the German border in holland.. at the point of going on the tunnel, i had around at least 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

The reason mine reset was due to the level sensor on the tank due to the steep angle going onto the upper deck of the Le Shuttle.

• 1 year later...

Skoda superb wagon 162TSI 2018

i am experiencing the same problem with the long term fuel consumption display.... i have consumed 3/4 of a tank and the "since refuelling" page  tells me the same information as the page "since start" !!

Clearly not many technical people on here ;-) 

The ramps on the shuttle will have nothing to do with it, the fuel will see a much "higher" angle every time you brake or corner hard, imagine how steep a hill has to be to give the equivalent of 0.5 g braking force.

Nearly said engineers but most people think engineers fix washing machines.

Edited by IJWS15
humour

10 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

Clearly not many technical people on here ;-) 

The ramps on the shuttle will have nothing to do with it, the fuel will see a much "higher" angle every time you brake or corner hard, imagine how steep a hill has to be to give the equivalent of 0.5 g braking force.

Nearly said engineers but most people think engineers fix washing machines.

No we don't just fix washing machines!

There may be a whole load of issues that cause this but without understanding the algorithms, its probably best described as a microsoft fault.  It was turned off and on again and it dumped what it had.:crying:

On 29/05/2017 at 15:58, Gerrycan said:

I always wondered about that. 

With regard to the original problem, I monitor my ‘since start’ and ‘since refuel’ constantly, and I’ve never had the latter reset, other than when refuelling. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wrote a letter to Boleslav, Czech republic, directly to the manufacturer to let them know about the issue. My dealer at home told me he has never heard of the problem, but I've already heard from a colleague about the same issue, and now I'm reading about it on here. It means this problem is widely known. The manufacturer (Škoda A.S.) actually replied to me, but only acknowledging my e-mail, I'm still waiting for their reply to the content. It's really annoying that a simple algorithm couldn't be fixed already. Hope it gets resolved sometime soon. 

• Like 1