Recirculation

I hope you all won't mind a Roomster owner intruding here, but the system is the same and there are more of you on the Fabia forum. When I turn on the ignition, the a/c automatically turns on the recirculation so I have to rememember to turn it off every time I start off. This is irritating! Has anyone experienced this problem and perhaps have a solution?

Thanks

Michael L

Do you have Climatronic?  If so, and if in "auto", this COULD be as designed, particularly for warmer temperatures.  Might not be in Skodas, but in a previous, non Skoda car I had, it actually explained it in the manual, (although it doesn't in our Fabia's)

Apparently it's the quickest way to cool down the car's interior, as it's cooling air it's already cooled once, rather than drawing hot air from outside, and having to start from scratch all the time.  It should return to drawing outside air in once the selected temperature is met.

I've never known climatronic do this straight away. Usually it directs to footwell on start up to prevent screen misting from moisture in the evaporator from last use, then once the compressor is running then opens recirculation valve if the interior is particularly hot, closing it again after some period of time. Often it's quicker to open all the Windows for a minute or two though.

Thanks for the comments. Actually I don't have climatronic on this car. Looking more closely at it, the sequence is:

1. Turn on ignition and the a/c light comes on.

2. Start the engine and the recirculation comes on.

I see in the handbook that there is a foot note saying that "in certain circumstances" the recirculation will come on automatically but it's not clear what the circumstances are. I'm hoping to figure out if this is a fault becasue I've only just acquired the car.

Michael L

Mine doesn't or didn't. Going in for replacement fan next week but I think it actually does the opposite and starts on Auto. There is a sequence you can press to check for fault codes, i think its the eco and recirc buttons pressed together or something and held. Might show an error code you could ask a dealer about! I can find out the buttons but can't remember them offhand.

Funnily, the manual suggests only using record for limited periods as it might make passengers drowsy. Breathing in the expelled carbon dioxide is my guess as to why!

Edited by mrgf

Thanks again everyone. I'm beginning to think that it's not a fault but more of an oddity. I've now worked out that the probelm only arises if the temperaturwe control is on minimum. If I click it up a wee bit the recirculation goes off. But if I leave it on minimum it seems to stay on indefinitely.

Michael L

Never noticed that happen but-hey, you never know. At least now you know how to pre(vent) it!

I usually have mine set on auto and at around 20 degrees unless its hot out, then around 18.

I noticed this too, if you turn off your engine with the manual AC on and the temp at minimum, the next time you start the engine, the recir and AC will come on. So when I turn off the AC before I turn off the engine, the next startup means the AC is also off. Hope that make sense. My car is Mk2 Fabia 2013.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The recirculation will come on when the AC is on, and the temperature dial is set to the lowest setting.  That's because it's far easier for it to cool air that is already cold (the air in the car), rather than trying to cool down hot air from outside.

It will reach a much colder temperature much faster with the recirculation on.  :) 

?

Really.

The temperature in a car when i get in in summer / direct sun like today can be in the high 30's and yet the ambient temp outside is in the 20's.

I put the A/C on and a cool setting, and it is Air Conditioning not just cooling.

Then plenty use A/C all year to dry the car / air, they use A/C with the temperature set for the car to be comfortable at 18/19 Degrees C or higher and the Ambient Temp outside may not even be in double figures.