Acceleration Issues

Hi All,

I've recently noticed an issue on my Skoda Octavia MkII Greenline. I've scoured the internet and these forums but cannot find any previous reports of this issue. I may simply not be looking properly so apologies in advance.

When I accelerate at anything more than gentle pressure in any gear, the MFD display shows that somehow I have changed down a couple of gears, it revs high and I get no power for several seconds unless I ease off. It then eventually settles down, but this means I cannot overtake anything quickly on the motorway and leads to more flashing lights/horns than usual for a Greenline driver.

Also if I have cruise control applied and try to increase the speed ore than 2 MPH, it cuts out.

Has anyone had any kind of experience with this and have a potential solution. I'm keen to try and solve this as economically as possible, before I go to a Skoda dealer and get fleeced.

TIA,

Steve

Are all the Greenlines Manuals, i.e. is your a manual and not DSG?  So revs flare up, without corresponding forward movement? If that is what you meant, +1 for langers2k suggestion.

What engine is yours? Any engine lights triggered?

Thanks for the swift replies, I truly did not anticipate that.

It's done 46,000 miles.

From what I understand it's a standard manual, but this is the first Car I've owned with so much electronically controlled, so could be wrong.

Yes the revs flare up without any corresponding forward movement.

It's a 1.6L engine and no engine lights have popped up.

Cheers,

Steve

Sounds like clutch slipping. I am assuming you are not driving with your left foot resting on the clutch enough to cause it to begin to disengage when this happens. 

To confirm clutch,  drive along at a constant speed say 30mph, 3rd gear. Note engine revs. Change into 4th, revs should drop, let clutch out, move foot off clutch pedal,  give the car a bootfull of accelerator, floor if you want, a few seconds will be enough.

Do revs scream up higher than 3rd gear, without an increase speed or little speed. Don,t do it for too long or you may be left with no friction material to get you home again.

Make sure you are somewhere safe to do this and keep required concentration on road. An industrial park road after hours might prove useful.

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1