Climate control blowing hot.

Afternoon folks I've got a strange problem with my Octavia 2005 tdi, after about 10 miles of driving the climate control  blows out hot air intermittently despite what setting the temp is set at. Previous to this it's working perfectly. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Edited by monkster

It can be the flap motor that regulates the flow and mixes hot and cold air. It is blowing cold air when you start to drive, because the engine has not heated up yet.

You can test this, by switching your cars ignition on (engine off) and turning the heat regulator all the way up and down. During this try to listen for some movement from the dash. How it happens is that these flap motors tend to get stuck, so they don't change the hot/cold ratio.

The link in the post above goes to the page for the air recirculation flap rather than temperature control. The air recirc flap is probably the most common failure in Climatronic units but is not your failure.

If you have dual air temperature control then experiment with setting different temperatures for driver and passenger. It may be that only one of the two temperature flaps has failed and could perhaps be disguised if you have the controls set for the passenger side to have the same temperature as the driver's side.

On 6/14/2017 at 16:00, pikpilot said:

The link in the post above goes to the page for the air recirculation flap rather than temperature control. The air recirc flap is probably the most common failure in Climatronic units but is not your failure.

If you have dual air temperature control then experiment with setting different temperatures for driver and passenger. It may be that only one of the two temperature flaps has failed and could perhaps be disguised if you have the controls set for the passenger side to have the same temperature as the driver's side.

Oh yes! I got it confused. Thank you for showing that to me. I always knew there was a flap for controlling the heat, because i could hear it moving, when turning the switch.

As for the actual position it differs for manual or climatronic system.

I think i have found the right and left one for climatronic in these links: Left & Right

As for manual, there are more information here. It has 1 temperature flap control motor: Position Nr. 23.

As i mentioned before, the database of this is quite large and extended, and a lot of times it is not very easy to find what you are really looking for. But it is a good place to start.

Just a thought, what's the outside temperature on the dash?

Same problem happened to me once. I felt hot, turned on the Climatronic, set the temp to 23 degrees with AC on. It started to blow hot air, then I notice the outside temp was 21 degrees:dull:. It went cold when I set the temp to 20.

• 3 weeks later...