034 aluminium dogmount insert

Have ordered and installed the 034 aluminium dogmount insert for the car (280 sportline DSG).

My car had version 1, I confirmed it by putting a phone underneath the car to get a video to make sure I order the correct version. 

Installation was not too bad if you have the right tool. (21mm socket (1/2" driver) with 130NM torque wrench). I had the car on a ramp and it took about 5-10 mins. The hardest part was actually trying to get the existing bolt out, took a few attempts so the small rachets aren't going to cut the mustards. 

The effect on the car is quite dramatic (both positive & negative), considering how a smal insert can have on the overall car.

Here are my initial impressions.

Pros:

- Definitely smoother gear shifts. Dont feel the jolt or rock of the engine under hard acceleration.

- Definitely more feedback on the steering wheel, you feel more connected to the road. So you get better perceived driving dynamic.

- The car feels more rigid (possibly due to the chassis/engine being more connected) so "normal" suspension feels more bumpy than usual. But comfort mode is now usable and not feel like you're on a boat bouncing up and down.

- Added a "raspy" exhaust note to the car. Give you more sporty feel under acceleration. 

Cons:

- Start up has increased vibration upon the initial crank. (More obvious in cold start, less obvious in start/stop traffic)

- Low RPM driving (during parking, start/stop traffic) has a bit more vibration. Bit like clutch feathering in manual gearbox.

- The car feels more rigid (possibly due to the chassis/engine being more connected) so "normal" setting suspension feels more bumpy than usual.

- More engine noise. The car becomes a bit more noisy even driving around.

I read that it takes 500-1000 kms to settle down. Will update accordingly.

Would love to hear from anyone else with the mod. 

• Like 2

I found some of what you mention since fitting mine recently.

My driving mode is always Individual - DCC Normal (Sport when I'm having fun, Comfort only on motorway driving or when transporting my elderly relatives), Steering and ACC is Sport, everything else is left on Normal.

As for the 'pros' you mention...

The smoothing of the DSG gear shifts is what I've noticed most and has been the most significant improvement. When I added the RaceChip Ultimate tuning box a year ago the gear changes could be very harsh during heavy pedal-to-the-metal acceleration but since fitting the dogbone mount insert I've had nothing but silky smooth changes no matter how badly I treat the DSG and overall it's smoother than when the car was in its original shipped condition. As I mentioned in the 280 thread I was always aware when the car was changing gear but now I find I need to keep an eye on the maxi dot display to know when it's shifted gear.

I haven't tried DCC Comfort setting nor have I been aware of a change in exhaust tone.

As for the 'cons'...

I've been having a PM conversation with another member on the same subject...

I've become aware that there seems to be an adverse effect when the car is on auto-hold.

• When I stopped at a red ATS and auto-hold came on there was a mild juddering vibration I could feel through the steering wheel. It stopped as soon as I pulled away and it only occurred on that one occasion.
  • A few times now, though not every time, when I've come to a halt and auto-hold has enabled, there has been a slight jerk as I've put my foot on the accelerator and auto-hold has released.
  • When stopped on auto-hold when it's dark and there's traffic behind me I flick on the EPB to disable auto-hold and extinguish the brake lights. This now results in the car giving a slight jerk.

That was shortly after I fitted it. I've done over a 1,000 miles since and it all went away within just a few hundred miles, so I'd confirm it needs a bit of bedding-in mileage.

I can't say I've noticed any change in engine noise (though that's probably drowned out by those awful noisy Pirelli P7 eco tyres) nor did I feel any difference in the ride, though like the rest of the UK many of the roads I use are in really poor repair thus requiring 'slalom mode' to avoid potholes and broken top surface.

• Like 2

Definitely, there is a section on the way to work where I change gears rapidly. Without the mount insert, the car will guarantee to jerk due to the rapid gear shifts (not even WOT). Now it is smooth as butter. This mod was specifically a pre-requisite for my JB1 mod coming up.

I dont use the "auto hold" so haven't noticed the jerk mentioned.

Australia road is probably just as bad if not worst than UK roads. Plenty of pot holes and dodgy bumps to avoid.

I totally agree that the P7 Cintoraro (?) tyres are plain awful, they're loud and not very grippy. It had my attention since the initial test drive. But the car is so good that it warrants forking out some $$ to swap it if required.

I tried to trade it in when I first picked up the car from the dealer for a set of Michelin Super Sport but they didn't accept trade in. Now just hoping to clock up enough Kms to get rid of the darn tyres.

Do you feel the car is a bit more "grunty" now because of the lower vibration tone during idle? 

In sport mode, it becomes even more obvious with WOT. 

• Like 1

@cyberkank, @BillyJim where did you source your dogbone inserts? Direct from 034 Motorsport? 

Car feeling more rigid, direct steering feeling with the road and smoother gearshifts sounds pretty good to me. Not bad for $42.- 

Sounds definitely like a must-have mod. 

Talking of "rigid" and "direct" - is there any room for a steering strut brace? Has anyone tried it? 

2 hours ago, SwissRob said:

@cyberkank, @BillyJim where did you source your dogbone inserts? Direct from 034 Motorsport? 

Car feeling more rigid, direct steering feeling with the road and smoother gearshifts sounds pretty good to me. Not bad for $42.- 

Sounds definitely like a must-have mod. 

Talking of "rigid" and "direct" - is there any room for a steering strut brace? Has anyone tried it? 

I got mine from http://www.autoinstruct.com.au/, An Australian based company. Their price is quite competitive and also they've got some good DIY tips for mods. 

Having more direct steering do make it more "sporty", but you do feel a bit more bumps on the steering wheel so you get the less "luxurious" feeling. So it is a double edge sword.

It does encourage you to push corners quicker as it gives you better road feedback rather than the mushy feeling of gliding over roads. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyberkank said:

Ah yes, I've seen AutoInstruct have done some good videos on YouTube - I watched the OBDeleven one I think. 

Good point about the double-edged sword. At least one can unbolt the dogbone again if the responsiveness is perceived as intrusive. 

All the best, Rob

@BillyJim - Many thanks - very helpful! I will unfortunately have to wait until my car arrives! :blink: It's going to be a MY2018 so anticipate a Version 2, I guess. 

All the best, Rob

2 minutes ago, SwissRob said:

It's going to be a MY2018 so anticipate a Version 2, I guess. 

I suspect it's actually version 1 for TSI and version 2 for TDI, but you'll find out once you get your 220. :thumbup:

Have done nearly 1000km on the dogbone mount now. It does settle down from initial install, probably the piece is "bedding" in with the OEM mount. 

The car gear shifts are still smooth, vibration and noise significantly reduced from the first installation. The only noticeable difference now is during low RPM, even that is not much more than stock.

The start up "bump" during engine crank is gone now.  

However, the car did lose some of the steering/chassis feedback and sort of gone back to a "softer" ride car, pretty much like it was stocked.

• 4 years later...

I’ve got a 2016 2.0. Will this work for me? Do I just Google the above title? My dog bone Mount bush is knackered, so it needs replacing anyway. I suppose it would be a good time

2 hours ago, sapf0 said:

I’ve got a 2016 2.0. Will this work for me? Do I just Google the above title? My dog bone Mount bush is knackered, so it needs replacing anyway. I suppose it would be a good time

If u've got the 220, then u need version 2.

I've had it on mine for a year now.

Really great, and highly recommended.

809088662_Dogboneinsert.thumb.jpg.f950a732d3a885abbba0968f5bbf2950.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JR RS said:

If u've got the 220, then u need version 2.

I've had it on mine for a year now.

Really great, and highly recommended.

809088662_Dogboneinsert.thumb.jpg.f950a732d3a885abbba0968f5bbf2950.jpg

Is it noticeable? My vehicle is a taxi, so I can drive my car for 10 to 12 hours per day

54 minutes ago, sapf0 said:

Is it noticeable? My vehicle is a taxi, so I can drive my car for 10 to 12 hours per day

Noticeable improvement - yes.

Increased vibrations - no.

Wheel hoping eliminated - mostly.

Gear shifts crisper - yes.

Harshness - no.

• Thanks 1