HELP urgently need VCDS help in Rainham, Kent

My VRS has failed its first MOT on the fact I've got my DRLs dimming out of sync with the indicators. 

Garage have been trying to find out what's wrong before calling me thinking it was a fault! 

I need to disable the function tomorrow and need a VCDS lead or a local VCDS expert. 

I don't think this will be something a Skoda dealer can do with their kit but if you guys know what they need to do that would be good. 

I don't want to get into a discussion on legality, I don't think it's a problem, as just want to get car back and to be honest never been too keen on the setting anyway. 

i was under the impression it was DRL turning on IN sync (so flashing white and orange at the same time then both off at the same time) with the indicators is illegal, but OUT of sync is not 

its a quick code with obd11/vcds but unless you are in NI........

Looks like I'm stuck. Tester says sidelights not allowed to interact with indicators and I can't turn it off. Skoda can't change it. 

Anybody lend me a VCDS lead urgently???

14 minutes ago, CJSVRS said:

Looks like I'm stuck. Tester says sidelights not allowed to interact with indicators and I can't turn it off. Skoda can't change it. 

Anybody lend me a VCDS lead urgently???

Tester is not right. The German version of the ECE Lighting Regulations specifies that the sidelight should dim if it is close to the indicator - but the Belgian version is silent on the subject.

I would raise a complaint to VOSA about the MOT Tester's incorrect reason for failure.

15 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Tester is not right. The German version of the ECE Lighting Regulations specifies that the sidelight should dim if it is close to the indicator - but the Belgian version is silent on the subject.

I would raise a complaint to VOSA about the MOT Tester's incorrect reason for failure.

The OP is in the UK. I don't see the point of German or Belgian lighting regulations unless I'mmissing something.

45 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

The DRL is NOT the sidelight. End of.

Sidelight is a separate 501 bulb on vRS, in the headlamp.

As long as it's the DRL that's dimming, tell the tester to swivel :biggrin:

My understanding is that the DRL isn't dimming, it's flashing out of phase with the indicator which it isn't meant to do. I think that's why it's failing, the flashing white light. 

You are correct though in that the DRL isn't the side light. 

1 hour ago, SWBoy said:

German and Belgian rules have heehaw to do with what's being discussed here. 

16 hours ago, CJSVRS said:

My VRS has failed its first MOT on the fact I've got my DRLs dimming out of sync with the indicators. 

2 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

My understanding is that the DRL isn't dimming, it's flashing out of phase with the indicator which it isn't meant to do. I think that's why it's failing, the flashing white light. 

;)

The DRL is dimming when indicator on, so out of phase. doesn't go out completely - so looks like an old Ford when you have an earth issue the tester said.

Is there definitely a sidelight bulb in a VRS Xenon unit? I tuned off the DRLs and on sidelight it turns back on.

3 minutes ago, CJSVRS said:

The DRL is dimming when indicator on, so out of phase. doesn't go out completely - so looks like an old Ford when you have an earth issue the tester said.

Is there definitely a sidelight bulb in a VRS Xenon unit? I tuned off the DRLs and on sidelight it turns back on.

Yes there is.  Turn the light switch to sidelights only, the DRL bar will dim and you'll also notice a yellowish glow coming from behind the silver reflector type thing.  You need to look closely though.

The Wifes Fabia3 SE-L has DRL's similar to the Vrs and those dim whilst Indicating, thats how it arrived from the Factory.

Most Audi's, Mercs dim or go out when Indicating. My Vrs Drl's dim also.

Looks like theres going to be millions of cars failing the MOT 

41 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

My 63 Plate Vrs did that, passed it's MOT, no problem 

I think this is all to do with tester's interpretation. I think if they just dimmed while indicating rather than flashed out of sync he would be happier.

I've got a Fabia Monte Carlo they lent me today that don't dim DRLs when indicating though so why some do and others don't I'm not sure.

The dealer is trying to reprogram them to normal for me. I gave them the VCDS settings and hopefully they can turn it off so it passes.

If I could get a lead I'd do it myself!

1 hour ago, CJSVRS said:

7 minutes ago, CJSVRS said:

I think this is all to do with tester's interpretation. I think if they just dimmed while indicating rather than flashed out of sync he would be happier.

I've got a Fabia Monte Carlo they lent me today that don't dim DRLs when indicating though so why some do and others don't I'm not sure.

The dealer is trying to reprogram them to normal for me. I gave them the VCDS settings and hopefully they can turn it off so it passes.

If I could get a lead I'd do it myself!

So they do flash out of phase, like I said earlier?  Which is it?

1 hour ago, CJSVRS said:

Yeah it's a 501/W5W halogen, but it lights up in addition to the dimmed DRL when the switch is set for sidelights.

55 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

So they do flash out of phase, like I said earlier?  Which is it?

So it's out of phase but the DRLs dim, they don't go out completely. So full DRL when indicator off and dimmed when on. 

Just now, CJSVRS said:

So it's out of phase but the DRLs dim, they don't go out completely. So full DRL when indicator off and dimmed when on. 

Yeah so I suspect that's your problem here.  Disregard the fact the DRL doesn't completely go out, it is flashing/pulsing which it shouldn't do.  Had it just dimmed constantly whilst the indicator was in use you wouldn't have had a problem.

Have you managed to get it corrected by the dealer?

Waiting to hear. I'm hoping they can turn it back to normal. Gizmo who did the programming is unable to look at it at the moment so even if I took the car away to fix I'm stuffed. 

Anybody in Kent/Surrey/Sussex/Essex/SE London that I could bring it to?

3 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Think there is an option in the car settings to turn the DRL's off, tick box.

DRLs come on with sidelights unfortunately.