what REAL mpg are people getting on the 110 TSI cars?

Had my Fabia tsi 110 for 2yrs [17500 miles]& AVERAGED 52.1 mpg ..now own a Rapid tsi 110 [6mths-3000 miles] & averaging 53.2 mpg !!! 

Edited by BACUPIAN
forgot to include mileage

Finally got the chance to carry out a real MPG test on the Wife's Fabia this weekend. The car is a 66 plate SE L Combi 1.2 tsi 110 with 6 speed manual box.

Filled the tank to the brim on Thursday evening. On Friday we set off from deepest darkest Surrey to the North York Moors. Climate control set at 19c.

1st journey 2 up with some luggage, 277 miles on motorway, dual carriageway & some A & B roads, Computer ave 58 mpg.

2nd journey 3 up 60 mile round trip to Whitby on A & B roads, computer ave 46mpg.

3rd journey 4 up, no luggage 100 mile round trip to Beamish open air museum, motorway, dual carriageway & some A & B roads, computer ave 49mpg.

On the return journey home I filled the tank to the brim at 451 miles with 36.55 litres (8.04 gallons) = 56 MPG. More than happy with those figures.

• Like 1

Clearly driving styles/loads/conditions make a difference to economy but having had both the good old (now getting very old) 1.9pd in a Superb I and a 1.4tsi (EA111) in Skoda Superb II. On the same journey /driving style the petrol uses more fuel - but not much more (1.9pd 50mpg & 1.4tsi 46mpg).

HOWEVER - Drive up hills, fully loaded, at high speed then the petrol can aquire a bit of a thirst (I've seen a tank full as low as 38mpg on a high speed fully laden trip through Europe) whereas my 1.9pd "seemed" to average about 50mpg whatever you threw at it

All fuel calculations tank to tank

On 6/23/2017 at 10:38, pfaff said:

5.6l/100 kms at an average of 101 kmh. Mostly highway/motorways as you may guess.

You're free to turn those figures into yards, pennies and pounds as you like. 

50.44 mpg

With an extra 1500 miles on the clock over my previous post (it's a low mileage engine still) on page one of this thread, our 110ps DSG hatch is now recording an improved 54.7 mpg at a constant 70-75mph with bursts of 80mph for overtaking. That was over a 100 mile trip of mostly dual carriageways (but very busy). Carrying wife, and some luggage. Used sport mode and 4k revs quite often for overtakes (unnecessary I know as it pulls like a train at lower revs!). Could improve on this figure without sport mode being used so often and keeping speed down to 70mph all the time. It seems to settle out at 56-57+mpg at constant 70mph on shorter trips and may do better on longer ones. Very pleased.

Really happy to see these real-world figures - I'll be getting the 1.0 tsi 110ps Fabia hatch in just over a month. My current Focus diesel returns anywhere between 50 and 60mpg depending on conditions, so it's good to see that the petrol engines can land in a similar area.

sparckzero, once it's run in, if you don't go over 65mph on a long run you should get near 60mpg real world, or even more. Best I've had so far is 58mpg on a 50 mile run on a dual carriageway. I'd advise when you get it to make sure you do run it in as per the owners manual. There is much to be gained from doing so, including more power and better mpg's. Don't go too easy with it, you can drive it normally, but do take some precautions such as not using cruise control for the first 1000 miles as it tends to glaze the cylinder bores and prevent the engine running in. New engines don't like constant speeds and throttle settings. So best not to go trying to get the best mpg's during that first 1000 miles. Instead vary the throttle, engine load, and engine revs very frequently to bed in the piston rings. You don't have to drive slowly, but avoid full throttle for the first 600 miles then build up the throttle settings to full throttle and the loading of the engine, increasing the revs and duration. It makes a big difference and you will benefit, as will your car. Sorry, don't mean to lecture, as you probably know all this stuff anyway. But I see happy times ahead for you. Please do post often about your new car as we don't know too much about the 1.0TSI yet and we are all eager to know about it and your experiences with it. Good luck and enjoy the new car when you get it!

Thanks for the advice - I really appreciate it! Don't know too much about bedding cars in, although what you say makes logical sense. I'll bear that in mind when the Fabia arrives!

Will certainly post updates as and when.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a two month old 1.2 110 tsi Dsg Hatch 1800 miles .Best mpg 44.5 on Holiday fully loaded . Worst 32.01 average 37.71 .The mpg on this compared to my 90 tsi  Manuel estate not so good  at the moment best 52.68 worst 30.69 average 41.71 over 10500 miles  both cars always have climate control on and using bp super unleaded . My Usage is mainly very short journeys  in  traffic  though out the day . My reason for switching  to Dsg  was for Heath reasons  (bad  left leg) . I love the car and how it drives ,so I'm hoping this improves  or I will just have to put comfort above mpg .

Another thing about running in, the brakes and tyres really do need 200 miles or more to bed in and remove the release agents from the tyres. I thought about this when I read about the luckless driver who destroyed his brand new Ferrari recently. The police said that speed was not involved but the road was wet.

For what it's worth, I use supermarket fuel and get about 46 mpg around town and around 50 mpg on a motorway journey, with my 110 DSG estate. I tried super unleaded and I did not find the difference worth the extra cost. Temperature seems to make more difference, I get 2  or 3 mpg better in the summer. I have driven 17,000 miles in 2 years and 3 months. Others will not agree but I am sure I can get better millage around town using the gear box in manual selection mode, but it needs a lot of attention to the rev counter and very early changes in 1st and 2nd. You can try going to auto when slowing to a stop and then back to manual as soon as the car gets to 3rd gear, then keep the revs to around 1,100 and use a very light throttle.  

• Thanks 1

My poor old MIL says that that is rubbish all cars use the same amount of fuel regardless of how they are driven and traffic conditions!  That just goes to prove that some people can grow old and amass lots of knowledge, and some other people just grow old and collect lots of other stuff!

33 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

My poor old MIL says that that is rubbish all cars use the same amount of fuel regardless of how they are driven and traffic conditions!  That just goes to prove that some people can grow old and amass lots of knowledge, and some other people just grow old and collect lots of other stuff!

???...what an unusual statement...and factually incorrect!

8 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

???...what an unusual statement...and factually incorrect!

Well she can't stand it if I walk a short distance instead of taking the car, she "knows" so equates driving a very short distance to using no or very little fuel from a cold start, she probably is not alone there?

Plus, she knows that anyone with access to three cars should never end up on a bus??  I've still to work out how that ties in with having a few drinks and staying legal - but maybe I'm still acquiring knowledge?

Edit:- she used to drive a Dolomite 1.85 in the day, and did tend to change up gears mainly while driving up steep hills, but it took that in its stride!

Edited by rum4mo

17 hours ago, Estate Man said:

...and I'm all for saving money!

Well, sell the car then. But you're maybe not that eager?  :-D

The original post by Cypher007 relates to a short commute of 5 miles with 50/50 highway/town.

In that context I'm going to presume that his SEAT is the same as my previous mk2 1.9pd Octavia and did not have a DPF and my experience was that the diesel was extremely slow to warm up but it did not have too much impact on consumption which was a pretty consistent 55mpg over a similar distance.  The lack of any real emission control factors was probably a major contribution to that consistency.

I cannot imagine a modern DPF diesel being able to tolerate such a number of short runs without the occasional long hard trip to complete a regen.

Our current 1.4tsi mk3 manual can also give good consumption returns but about 5mpg down on the aforementioned diesel, however the first 2km from a cold start will experience relatively heavy consumption. Unfortunately ours does far too many 3 km journeys from a cold start (between 'proper' trips) which have a severe negative impact on our overall returns. 

If we had the described 5 mile (8 km) commute I estimate about a 50mpg return.

If you are viewing this from a PC then I have my Fuelly returns attached which can be accessed for more general detail.

I only use 95 Octane fuel and tend to fill when prices are down as the local fuel price cycle here in Adelaide can vary by nearly 30% over a 3 week period.

Looking forward to hearing how the 3 cylinder 1.0tsi goes in the Fabia as those with the similar but higher powered engine in the Octavia are reporting excellent returns.

2 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

The original post by Cypher007 relates to a short commute of 5 miles with 50/50 highway/town.

In that context I'm going to presume that his SEAT is the same as my previous mk2 1.9pd Octavia and did not have a DPF and my experience was that the diesel was extremely slow to warm up but it did not have too much impact on consumption which was a pretty consistent 55mpg over a similar distance.  The lack of any real emission control factors was probably a major contribution to that consistency.

I cannot imagine a modern DPF diesel being able to tolerate such a number of short runs without the occasional long hard trip to complete a regen.

Yes, but bear in mind that Cypher is asking about the petrol 110ps TSI engine and it's real world fuel economy. Quite different to the PD diesel engines.

The PD engines are very forgiving and you don't have to try too hard to get good economy. 

Modern petrol engines can get close but they require more effort from the driver to achieve it. Well that is what I found.

The OP presented his scenario and most respondents presented theirs which did not necessarily correspond.

I would expect the OP to get mid to high 40's on his commute in a 110 tsi depending on initial start temperature and traffic flow.

9 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

The PD engines are very forgiving and you don't have to try too hard to get good economy. 

Modern petrol engines can get close but they require more effort from the driver to achieve it. Well that is what I found.

The OP presented his scenario and most respondents presented theirs which did not necessarily correspond.

I would expect the OP to get mid to high 40's on his commute in a 110 tsi depending on initial start temperature and traffic flow.

I know, I've had PD's. Not to appear too pedantic, but you say you presume his SEAT is the same as your 1.9PD without a DPF, going on to talk about diesels and DPF's. Nothing to do with what he is asking for and making your post almost irrelevant. Virtually everyone else is talking about the 1.2TSI and it's economy in response to his question which was " What REAL world mpg are people getting on the 110 TSI cars?". Think you missed the title of the thread...lol. But fun anyway!

TSI110/DSG, Climate Control always on, 16,000 miles on the Odometer. Lifetime average 40.8mpg, via Fuelly and actual fill-ups. Best tank full was 51.7mpg. Up to Northumberland and round the county. Cruise at Indicated open road limits wherever possible/safe to do so. Sometimes have a play at lights or roundabout exits.....and it reminds me so much of my old Mk 1 vRS and it will happily spin to decent numbers before shifting up, to the extent that I never feel the need to use 'Sport' mode, even on overtakes; just plant the foot, so I guess the DSG has learnt my driving style...trickle 'round town and 'make progress' at other time. I do wonder just what this 110 is actually putting out in bhp and torques. Feels somewhat quicker than the official figures would suggest. 

As for 'Official' fuel consumption...the EU test methods are a farce, at least vs real-world driving.  An interesting motor car but the Dunlop Sportmaxx tyres are the noisiest tyres I've ever had on a car. Have to look for something better when change time comes. Any recommendations with 215/45/R16 tyres?

• 2 weeks later...

I had done a few longish (200 mile plus) journeys recenty, averaging 50-55mpg, long spells of 50 mph average speed cameras M1/A1M) increase the mpg dramatically, of course all those gains are lost caning it when the road is clear again. Wind speed and direction also play a minor factor.