what REAL mpg are people getting on the 110 TSI cars?

ok thanks guys, just trying to work out which car to buy as it seems the mpg figures for some cars are not correct compared to real world or cars like my old 2003 Leon, which mainly matches the quoted figures.

Edited by cypher007

Over the first 2000 miles I've been getting about 48.6mpg with some tanks up to 51.4 mpg. 80% of my driving is through town driving to work, with a commmute of 8 miles each way. 

Wife has 5 mile commute to work in 30 limit and then 50mph limit and back to 30mph. Averages 49mpg during week but ours is the 7 speed DSG 110ps engined car. At weekends on longer runs we get anywhere between 52-56mpg on longer runs. We cruise at 65-70mph most of the time with bursts of Sport mode blipping us up to 80mph for overtakes.

I have the 110TSi with DSG gearbox. My commute is six miles each way, mostly A roads but passing through four or five 30mph limits. I don't dither about, preferring to press on where possible. I also have a lot of short trips, running around / picking up the kids. 

I tend to get between 43-46mpg (real brim to brim figures, rather than computer generated) over the course of a month and achieve just over 50mpg on a long motorway run at about 70mph. 

The car now has just under 11000 miles on it. 

Hope that helps. 

My wife runs ours daily as a carer. Start stop/start stop. Average over 6000 miles 37mpg. On a 1100 mile round trip from Dundee to Basingstoke and back with me driving, motorway speeds and using cruise, 43.4 mpg.

Only once have I managed 50mpg and that was a wee feather footed run of about 30 miles.

Overall it's 20mpg down on my Fabia vRS SE. Maybe an unfair comparison considering it's a diesel, but the manufacturers will lead you to believe that modern petrols are approaching diesel economy. Nowhere near! All the more noticeable as the performance is nowhere near either.

A mate of mine bought a new Polo about the same time. 1.2tsi 90bhp 5 speed. Kept it 2 weeks and got rid 'cos the fuel consumption was horrendous. He's now got an A3 1.6tdi.

Overall the Fabia is a great wee car. Goes ok for what it is but economy mediocre in my opinion.

• Like 1

Blimey Numptie-Boy, that is poor.

I like you, am disappointed with the economy, after swapping my Mk1 VRS for the Tsi. Mine has picked up a little over time though. 

I keep thinking about going back to a VRS, but in reality, I've probably grown to like the creature comforts of the Mk3 too much to do so now. Mines an SEL so well spec'd. 

In reality for my use, it's not really any slower either. The only time I miss the power / grunt of the VRS is on the motorway, or on faster A roads when wanting to do an overtake. 

Might consider getting a remap when it's out of warranty to address this. 

Hope your economy picks up a bit more. 

Little point comparing the economy of a Euro 4 Emissions dirty diesel that might soon be eligible for part of a Scrappage Scheme.

Comparing Peaches & Lemons.

Compare a 1.4TDI Euro 6 with a 1.2TSI Euro 6 if anything surely, not even the 1.6TDI CR Euro 5's with Defeat Devices really should be in the comparison IMO.

I agree with you Awayoffski about the comparison of like for like emissions regs vehicles.

However my disappointment stems from the disparity between quoted and achievable mpg figures.

I know about the manufacturers "testing" conditions etc and always factor in a 10-15% margin for real world driving. I NEVER trust the on board computer and dont have the air con  on every day, preferring to use it in the current high temperatures.

Generally speaking, the vast majority of my mileage is just me in the car with no luggage.

Despite all of this, I still struggle to get into the 50's. I've only managed it on a long motorway trip to Devon at 70ish.

I've tried it both with and without the cruise control on. 

I check my tyre pressures regularly and before any long journey. I've tried it with the manufacturers "economy" tyre pressures and standard, with no perceivable difference. I don't even have a spare wheel and tools to add weight at the moment. 

Ive no idea how others are achieving their quoted 50+ mpg on a day to day basis. 

Testing figures in a temperature controlled building on a rolling road with no optional extras, 60kg driver and tyres over inflated, 

you could get that with those facilities, just not on the road.  Or some actually can.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

New testing comes in September 2017, 

So VW Group are getting the Type Approval / EU testing all done and cars on sale pre September,

that will include the 1.0TSI's under the 'Kidology testing', Non Real World.

26 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

New testing comes in September 2017, 

So VW Group are getting the Type Approval / EU testing all done and cars on sale pre September,

that will include the 1.0TSI's under the 'Kidology testing', Non Real World.

You surprise me! The VW group showing a lack of integrity? Surely not? 

Edited by Skid
  • Like 1

not sure if it makes difference but wife's drive is relatively flat roads for 20 miles, she defo getting 48mpg most days sometimes 50, have also sandbagged her mk3 Monte with my spare tyre from vrs mk2. When we go out into countryside weekend uphill sections it drops to 38 - 40mpg. She also has 1 to 2 passengers and her work kit. So that's 190-200kg extra. Also taught her to get behind a smallish van & slipstream!

Edited by Kobayashi
  • Like 1

On 2017-6-19 at 13:16, Awayoffski said:

Little point comparing the economy of a Euro 4 Emissions dirty diesel that might soon be eligible for part of a Scrappage Scheme.

Comparing Peaches & Lemons.

Compare a 1.4TDI Euro 6 with a 1.2TSI Euro 6 if anything surely, not even the 1.6TDI CR Euro 5's with Defeat Devices really should be in the comparison IMO.

What did I say in my post? "Maybe an unfair comparison" But I'm gonna make the comparison 'cos I run both. The fuel economy and performance of the vRS are light years better than our Mk3 Monte. It's as simple as that. Dundee-Liverpool and return last week in the vRS, average speed 61.1, average fuel consumption, 64.2mpg. No petrol will get near that, and won't have 300lb/ft torque to use either.

I'm not putting down our Monte. Just the vRS is better in my opinion. Much more involving to drive too. Find the Mk3 somewhat detached and numb to drive somehow. 

Final comment came from my missus who ran a vRS for 8 years before the Monte.. "I'm never out o the f....n petrol station wi that thing! Wouldn't be so bad but there's no go in it"! Says it all.

How much fuel does your Mk1 vRS use if you just use it as a runabout around Dundee.

Normal miles you get out of a tank fill when driving in town.  Is it the 37 mpg that your wife is getting using it in town?

So like 370 miles for 45 litres.

Some petrols can get near that & the 64mpg on runs and you can buy them new now as they are Euro 6 emissions.

(A mk2 Fabia vRS petrol might match your Mk1 on a run for the cost of fuel used. Maybe not even use any oil on a run at NSL's Dundee to Liverpool, even coming back, but then they are also dead parrots, no more, deceased.)

*Average 61.1 mph as a speed on a trip like that hard to achieve unless at night time and if going A90, A9 even with the fixed & average speed cameras and i do it often enough, and to Blackpool, Manchester and further south in petrols and diesels.*

Euro 4 emissions diesels were are can be the bees knees but then the are over 8 years old if you want to run one for the power and economy.& some are not even that economic on shorter runs.

Mk1 Fabia vRS were the bees knees, still are, but they were not cheap cars when they were new.

As for Euro 6 diesels and economy there can be good MPG figures bit then again highly efficient ones like my 2.0 TDI SCR DSG can do 60 plus MPG 5/6 up with luggage, yet fails to get 25 mpg used around town on short trips with just a driver. (1,850kg unladen)

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

5.6l/100 kms at an average of 101 kmh. Mostly highway/motorways as you may guess.

You're free to turn those figures into yards, pennies and pounds as you like. 

• 2 weeks later...

Round town I average 40mpg.  On a recent long run over 450 miles (mainly motorway at 65mph), I averaged 50 mpg.  These figures calculated manually by myself using brim to brim fill ups.  Not good enough in my opinion and worse than my previous petrol Fabias.