Mk3 vrs tdi oil change

I'm struggling for good info on this and want to make sure I have the facts before I start, my Octavia Vrs is coming up a year with 8k miles on it and I'm going to change the oil and filter. From what I can see the diesel has 4.6 litres of engine oil? I've had a quick look from above and can't see a filter so I'm assuming it's underneath? Can someone confirm that the sump plug is plastic? I've bought a golds magnetic plug to replace it, can someone confirm it's plastic and that I'm ok to use the golds plug? I've bought the one spec'd for the car but I expected the one I take of to be metal and not plastic. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks. 

4.6l sounds about right for the 2.0 TDi.

The sump on the diesel is metal so the sump plug should be metal too. Its just the petrol has the plastic sump as yet.

Yes the oil filter cartridge can only be reached from underneath and you will have to remove your big plastic undertray.

Shouldn't be a bad job at all depending on how high you can get the car to get underneath.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

4.6l sounds about right for the 2.0 TDi.

The sump on the diesel is metal so the sump plug should be metal too. Its just the petrol has the plastic sump as yet.

Yes the oil filter cartridge can only be reached from underneath and you will have to remove your big plastic undertray.

Shouldn't be a bad job at all depending on how high you can get the car to get underneath.

Thanks for clearing that up for me mate, my work has a vehicle ramp so I can get great access to the bottom of the whole car. I'll get under it at the weekend, I have read that the clips that hold the undertray on are single use.... Is that the case do you know? 

Edited by Cammy5477

3 minutes ago, Cammy5477 said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me mate, my work has a vehicle ram so I can get great access to the bottom of the whole car. I'll get under it at the weekend, I have read that the clips that hold the undertray on are single use.... Is that the case do you know? 

No problem.

I couldn't tell you about the clips unfortunately. They used to be held on with screws. You'll be able to tell by having a quick look under the car. I would say best look under the car behind the front wheel at the rear of the subframe and see what holds the undertray on there. Hopefully it will still be decent screws and you can put them back in with a bit of grease to stop them rusting. Someone else might be able to confirm what they are.

6 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Screws are all I've ever found holding the undertray on, I've been under a few due to the location of the turbo boost sensor on the TSI

The TSIs don't have a full undertray though. The (plastic) sump is fairly exposed. The diesels do have a full undertray covering from the bumper back to the subframe.

• Like 1

Undertray is held on with torx screws. 

Sump plug on tdi is a 17mm hex and metal. 

Be careful with the oil filter cap and it's seals. 

Remember to use low saps oil. Fully synthetic 5w30.

Undertray is held on with 3 large torx at the back and about 8 small ones round the side, sump bolt is 19mm hex head non magnetic. I've changed mine to golds magnetic, oil filter is underneath around the centre of the engine need to unclip a few cables to get it out but it's easy. Engine takes 4.6 litres as I thought 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2017-6-17 at 11:40, Cammy5477 said:

Undertray is held on with 3 large torx at the back and about 8 small ones round the side, sump bolt is 19mm hex head non magnetic. I've changed mine to golds magnetic, oil filter is underneath around the centre of the engine need to unclip a few cables to get it out but it's easy. Engine takes 4.6 litres as I thought 

There you are, you're an expert now!;)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 17/06/2017 at 11:40, Cammy5477 said:

very useful info.. thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2017 at 11:40, Cammy5477 said:

Hi do you have the link for the correct golds magnetic plug 

couldn't find for mk3 vrs tdi

thanks

Edited by 66vRS
Speling

• 2 weeks later...