Dashboard warning light for light comes on when headlights aren't turned on

I'm looking for some advice please. When my headlights are turned off I get a dashboard warning light to say there's an issue with my lights. I can't see any issues with the lights when they're active and all of my lights work including the brake and fog... I don't know where to look for an issue. 

It may be a possible earth issue but I have no idea what cable to follow and where from. 

Any comments are grateful! 

Check fuse 20, which supplies the bulb failure warning module. It might be that the cluster signals bulb failure if the module doesn't report anything.

If that's OK check all the bulb fittings for corrosion, and check that all the bulbs are the right types as per the list in here:

1 hour ago, Andacami said:

Does the touring or travel mode (you can set this for when you drive on the other side) affect the warning light?

Hi I don't have a travel of touring mode. The car is a 54 plate so fairly old. Thanks for the reply though! 

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@DannHall - I'm not being funny, but you are certain you don't have the fog lights on?

Hi Ken. Yes I'm sure I don't have the fog lights on. I'm curious how would this cause a fault light to show on the dashboard? 

2 hours ago, Wino said:

Check fuse 20, which supplies the bulb failure warning module. It might be that the cluster signals bulb failure if the module doesn't report anything.

If that's OK check all the bulb fittings for corrosion, and check that all the bulbs are the right types as per the list in here:

Hi Wino. The fuse is  in working order. I will have a look at the second suggestion from you later today. Thanks for the reply! 

So I have rear reversing light out according to the display and to the current Mrs who did a visual. Also had a side light out according to the display but a thump cured that and the display now only tells me about the rear reversing light. I too have the bulb fault light with lights on or off or auto. I'll replace the reversing bulb and check two things, 1) the display vehicle status messages go away i.e. no faults detected and 2) the orange warning light goes out.

Interestingly, when I go into travel mode (for driving on the other side) this lamp flashes...

Off to Halfrauds I go then and will report back.

Edited by Andacami

18 minutes ago, DannHall said:

Hi Ken. Yes I'm sure I don't have the fog lights on. I'm curious how would this cause a fault light to show on the dashboard? 

It wouldn't throw a fault, but it would illuminate a green light, like the one for the dipped headlights.

OK, bulb was blown in left rear cluster (as you stand behind the car and as you are seated in the drivers seat). This has now been replaced and I no longer have a yellow warning light nor the message in maxidot. Oddly though maxidot was telling me the right reversing lamp was dead which I guess, if you approach the car from the front is correct. Didn't stop me from taking apart the wrong cluster though :notme:

I suspect this does not help you much...